* [ECOS] eCos developpement process?
@ 2003-11-21  9:34 Vincent Catros
From: Vincent Catros @ 2003-11-21  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I'm new to eCos and I would like to know what is the developement
process.

I know that mailing list is the prefered way to submit new packages and
bud fixes. But then, who decide to include it in the official eCos
distribution and how long it takes?

This question comes because I've been faced to a bug with JFFS2.
This bug is known and a patch has been submitted on 14 Jul 2003.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2003-07/msg00038.html (thanks
to Scott Wilkinson ;-)).
But, the eCos version I'm working on has been downloaded using CVS on
september 2003 and the bugged file (rbtree.c) was not yet corrected.

Is it a mistake or a normal delay according to eCos developement
process?

Thanks

Vincent

* Re: [ECOS] eCos developpement process?
@ 2003-11-21  9:57 ` Andrew Lunn
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-21  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Catros; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:37:43AM +0100, Vincent Catros wrote:
> I know that mailing list is the prefered way to submit new packages and
> bud fixes. But then, who decide to include it in the official eCos
> distribution and how long it takes?

The maintainers decide what is included. How long a particular patch
takes to be included varies for a number of reasons. Big patches take
more work and so tend to take longer. Ugly patches generally either
get rejected and requested to be re-written, or we fix them ourselves.
Some patches get stuck for legal reasons. Some patches get included
fast because it interests a particular maintainers. Some patches get
delayed because no maintainer is particularly interested in the patch.
Maintainers do there work totally voluntary, in the spare time etc. We
have a RealLife(tm) as well to lead, some sometimes patches get delayed
because we spend a weekend skiing, or flying our plane, etc....

> This question comes because I've been faced to a bug with JFFS2.
> This bug is known and a patch has been submitted on 14 Jul 2003.
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2003-07/msg00038.html (thanks
> to Scott Wilkinson ;-)).
> But, the eCos version I'm working on has been downloaded using CVS on
> september 2003 and the bugged file (rbtree.c) was not yet corrected.

It was committed 2003/01/22. Update your cvs tree.

   Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos developpement process?
@ 2003-11-21 10:09   ` David N. Welton
From: David N. Welton @ 2003-11-21 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> Big patches take more work and so tend to take longer. Ugly patches
> generally either get rejected and requested to be re-written, or we
> fix them ourselves.  Some patches get stuck for legal reasons. Some
> patches get included fast because it interests a particular
> maintainers. Some patches get delayed because no maintainer is
> particularly interested in the patch.

It's almost completely slipped my mind at this point, because I
haven't touched eCos since then, but which combination of these
factors best describe the floppy driver that I had posted?

Thankyou,
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

* Re: [ECOS] eCos developpement process?
@ 2003-11-21 10:34     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-21 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David N. Welton; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Nick Garrett

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:04:21AM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
> Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:
>
> > Big patches take more work and so tend to take longer. Ugly patches
> > generally either get rejected and requested to be re-written, or we
> > fix them ourselves.  Some patches get stuck for legal reasons. Some
> > patches get included fast because it interests a particular
> > maintainers. Some patches get delayed because no maintainer is
> > particularly interested in the patch.
>
> It's almost completely slipped my mind at this point, because I
> haven't touched eCos since then, but which combination of these
> factors best describe the floppy driver that I had posted?

There are a few contributions all in this area. Your floppy driver,
the FAT filesystems, the file system block and cache layers etc.

All these have to fit together in one nice clean architecture. For
that to happen our eCos architect, Nick Garrett, has to spend some
time doing a design, document it and then either modify the various
patches to fit, or asking the contributers to make the modifications.
I've not seen any signs that Nick is doing this, probably because of
lack of time.....

     Andrew

* [ECOS] Re: eCos developpement process?
@ 2003-11-21 12:08   ` Daniel Néri
From: Daniel Néri @ 2003-11-21 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:37:43AM +0100, Vincent Catros wrote:
>> But, the eCos version I'm working on has been downloaded using CVS on
>> september 2003 and the bugged file (rbtree.c) was not yet corrected.
>
> It was committed 2003/01/22. Update your cvs tree.

Correction: the fix was committed on 2003-10-18.

Regards,
--Daniel

* [ECOS] RE : [ECOS] eCos developpement process?
@ 2003-11-21 12:53   ` Vincent Catros
From: Vincent Catros @ 2003-11-21 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-11-21 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Catros; +Cc: 'Andrew Lunn', ecos-discuss

> Who are maintainers? How are they choosed/elected?

This question was asked a few years ago so will be in the archive.

Basically, they are people who have shown they have extensive
knowledge of eCos, made significant contributions and have the correct
attitude towards eCos. Most of the maintainers worked on eCos since it
was born at Cygnus Solutions and then later RedHat. I came on board
later after using eCos in a product at the Company i work for.

The maintainers are a self elected group, but i did not find this a
problem when i became involved.

        Andrew