* Re: [ECOS] Error in run tests
@ 2003-12-02 14:42 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-02 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NickGarnett, Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ok, i will install Redboot into my board but in this link

 http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/docs-latest/ref/at91.html

you can see that a redboot_RAM.elf file is created but for my board AT91EB40A (ecos configuration tool) only the ROM elf file will  be create won't it? No RAM mode image. How should i make it? I i want to run the redboot into RAM memory after i will need the redboot_RAM.elf.
Is there a guide with the full steps for redboot installation?

Thanks in advance

Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> schrieb am 02.12.03 11:53:15:

> "Ricardo Andrino" <ricardo_andrino@web.de> writes:
>
> > Thanks a lot for your fast answer
> > but i don't understand when you say won't write anything. I want to
> > load my program at address 0x1000000, flash memory and run my
> > program from this memory is it not allowed?  Why does have the board
> > the flash memory?
>
> Just writing to flash does not program it, you have to do special
> things to program it. The only way to do it is to load a program that
> can do the right things to write to flash.
>
> The best way to do this is to load RedBoot. Take a look at the
> following documentation:
>
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/at91.html
>
> --
> Nick Garnett                    eCos Kernel Architect
> http://www.ecoscentric.com      The eCos and RedBoot experts
>

> --

* Re: [ECOS] Error in run tests
@ 2003-12-02 15:06 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-12-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 03:42:42PM +0100, Ricardo Andrino wrote:
> Ok, i will install Redboot into my board but in this link
>
>  http://ecos.sourceware.org/ecos/docs-latest/ref/at91.html
>
> you can see that a redboot_RAM.elf file is created but for my board AT91EB40A (ecos configuration tool) only the ROM elf file will  be create won't it? No RAM mode image. How should i make it? I i want to run the redboot into RAM memory after i will need the redboot_RAM.elf.
> Is there a guide with the full steps for redboot installation?

That page and the pages it references (chapter 3) tells you how to
build a RAM, ROM or even ROMRAM redboot. What differs is the
configuration file you import: redboot_ROM.ecm, or redboot_RAM.ecm.

That page also give you step by step instructions for the installation
process.

All the info you need is there, you just have to read it.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Error in run tests
@ 2003-12-03 14:53 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-03 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AndrewLunn, RicardoAndrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello, i have found in the documentation and Angel Monitor copy itself from flash into RAM (0x00020000-0x0003FFFF) so my program don't use the same memory area as Angel.So I don't understand why all the programs hang up.
 I want to install Redboot but first i want to run these programs ( RAM start-up)without redboot.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> schrieb am 02.12.03 17:38:14:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 05:13:06PM +0100, Ricardo Andrino wrote:
> > Hello again,
> > I have now chosen the RAM start up but when i try to run the tests the program or the examples these programs hang up.See please the following:
> > ***************************************************************************
> > Run started
> > (gdb) set height 0
> > set height 0
> > (gdb) set debug remote 0
> > set debug remote 0
> > (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
> > set remotebaud 38400
> > (gdb) target rdi /dev/ttyS1
> > target rdi /dev/ttyS1
> > Angel Debug Monitor (serial) 1.04 (Advanced RISC Machines SDT 2.5) for AT91EB40A (1.00)
> > Angel Debug Monitor rebuilt on Feb 03 2002 at 16:09:59
> > Serial Rate:  38400
> > (gdb) load
> > load
> > Start address 0xc040, load size 30000
> > Transfer rate: 26666 bits/sec, 491 bytes/write.
> > (gdb) break cyg_test_exit
> > break cyg_test_exit
> > Breakpoint 1 at 0xead0: file /opt/ecos/ecos-snapshot-2003-11-25/packages/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx, line 267.
> > (gdb) break cyg_assert_fail
> > break cyg_assert_fail
> > Function "cyg_assert_fail" not defined.
> > (gdb) break cyg_test_init
> > break cyg_test_init
> > Breakpoint 2 at 0xe9e0: file /opt/ecos/ecos-snapshot-2003-11-25/packages/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx, line 192.
> > (gdb) cont
> > cont
> > Continuing.
> > ****************************************************************************
> > I don't really know why i can not run the test.It's suppose that it is easy isn't it? and that is only the beginnig!!!!!!! Oh God!!!
> >
> > Any idea?
>
> First of, do what we have all suggested. Swap to redboot. Thats how
> eCos has been tested and thats the configuration we know it works
> in. Its quite possible the setup you are using now the application is
> using the same memory as Angel.
>
> > Another question, i have added the Redboot package in the ecos
> > configuration tool but if i clicked in Built Redboot ROM elf image,
> > there are 2 error and the target.ld is not created, When i disable
> > this option there is no problem why? I will need this file to
> > download redboot won't i?
>
> That is not the correct way to build Redboot. Read the documentation.
>
>      Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Error in run tests
@ 2003-12-02 16:38 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-12-02 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-12-02 16:13 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NickGarnett, Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

[...]

Thanks a lot.

@ 2003-12-02 10:53 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-02 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-12-02 10:47 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-12-02 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:19:43AM +0100, Ricardo Andrino wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your fast answer
> but i don't understand when you say won't write anything. I want to load my program at address 0x1000000, flash memory and run my program from this memory is it not allowed?
> Why does have the board the flash memory?

You can run applications from flash, thats not a problem.

But the way the test cases are run requires the insertion of
breakpoints. You cannot put breakpoints into ROM. So its not possible
to run the test automatically. Instead you need to run the test
programs manually and manually determine if they have passed/failed.

When it comes to real application development, you will find it slow
working with your application in Flash. Again you cannot use
breakpoints, single steps etc. Its also slow writing the image to
flash every time you want to run it. Also, flash's do have a limited
number of erase/program cycles.

Its best to develop your application in RAM and then once its nearly
complete move it to FLASH for testing. It will naturally run slower in
FLASH, so you need to be careful about this.

       Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Error in run tests
@ 2003-12-02 10:19 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-02 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NickGarnett, Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks a lot for your fast answer
but i don't understand when you say won't write anything. I want to load my program at address 0x1000000, flash memory and run my program from this memory is it not allowed?
Why does have the board the flash memory?

Thank you
Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> schrieb am 02.12.03 11:09:36:

> "Ricardo Andrino" <ricardo_andrino@web.de> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> > when i run the test i have this error. Any idea? I am using a ROM
> > start-up mode onto a AT91EB40A. I apreciate any kind of help.
>
> Well, there's your answer: a ROM startup executable is intended to run
> out of ROM, not RAM. The load address of 0x1000000 is in ROM, so the
> load won't write anything, and when Angel tries to set the breakpoints
> you get error messages.
>
> Try a RAM startup application. Better still, install RedBoot.
>
> --
> Nick Garnett                    eCos Kernel Architect
> http://www.ecoscentric.com      The eCos and RedBoot experts
>

> --

* Re: [ECOS] Error in run tests
@ 2003-12-02 10:09 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-12-02 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Andrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Ricardo Andrino" <ricardo_andrino@web.de> writes:

> Hello,
> when i run the test i have this error. Any idea? I am using a ROM
> start-up mode onto a AT91EB40A. I apreciate any kind of help.

Well, there's your answer: a ROM startup executable is intended to run
out of ROM, not RAM. The load address of 0x1000000 is in ROM, so the
load won't write anything, and when Angel tries to set the breakpoints
you get error messages.

Try a RAM startup application. Better still, install RedBoot.

* [ECOS] Error in run tests
@ 2003-12-02  9:52 Ricardo Andrino
From: Ricardo Andrino @ 2003-12-02  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JohnDallaway, RicardoAndrino; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello,
when i run the test i have this error. Any idea? I am using a ROM start-up mode onto a AT91EB40A. I apreciate any kind of help.
Thaks
Run started
(gdb) set height 0
set height 0
(gdb) set debug remote 0
set debug remote 0
(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) target rdi /dev/ttyS1
target rdi /dev/ttyS1
Angel Debug Monitor (serial) 1.04 (Advanced RISC Machines SDT 2.5) for AT91EB40A (1.00)
Angel Debug Monitor rebuilt on Feb 03 2002 at 16:09:59
Serial Rate:  38400
(gdb) load
load
Start address 0x1000040, load size 28332
Transfer rate: 25184 bits/sec, 488 bytes/write.
(gdb) break cyg_test_exit
break cyg_test_exit
Breakpoint 1 at 0x1002c28: file /opt/ecos/ecos-snapshot-2003-11-25/packages/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx, line 267.
(gdb) break cyg_assert_fail
break cyg_assert_fail
Function "cyg_assert_fail" not defined.
(gdb) break cyg_test_init
break cyg_test_init
Breakpoint 2 at 0x1002b38: file /opt/ecos/ecos-snapshot-2003-11-25/packages/infra/current/src/tcdiag.cxx, line 192.
(gdb) cont
cont
Continuing.
RDI_setbreak: no more break/watch points available
RDI_setbreak: no more break/watch points available
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint 1.
Error accessing memory address 0x1002c28: Unbekannter Fehler 148.
Cannot insert breakpoint 2.
Error accessing memory address 0x1002b38: Unbekannter Fehler 148.
The same program may be running in another process.
(gdb) set cyg_test_is_simulator=0
set cyg_test_is_simulator=0
Address of symbol "cyg_test_is_simulator" is unknown.
(gdb) cont
cont
Continuing.
RDI_setbreak: no more break/watch points available
RDI_setbreak: no more break/watch points available
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint 1.
Error accessing memory address 0x1002c28: Unbekannter Fehler 148.
Cannot insert breakpoint 2.
Error accessing memory address 0x1002b38: Unbekannter Fehler 148.
The same program may be running in another process.
(gdb) bt
bt
#0  0x01000040 in reset_vector ()
RDI_read: data abort, no memory at specified address?
RDI_read: data abort, no memory at specified address?
Error accessing memory address 0xe59ff010: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar.
(gdb) Run complete