* RE: [ECOS] Simulator problems on EB40a
@ 2004-04-24 17:03 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2004-04-24 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

For the record:

As Gary points out, and I discovered in my early eCos days, the GDB
simulator isn't enough to run eCos, as no peripherals are simulated.

--

Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

* RE: [ECOS] Simulator problems on EB40a
@ 2004-04-26  9:05 ` Robert Cragie
From: Robert Cragie @ 2004-04-26  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Øyvind Harboe, msie02; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Although the GDB simulator doesn't support peripherals, I have successfully
run eCos on SID (http://sources.redhat.com/sid/) using SID's pre-configured
ARM PID target supplied with it (see http://www.asisi.co.uk/ecos_sid.html).
You could have a go at configuring and 'building' the EB40A target in SID,
although I would say it's quite a lot of work to fully understand all SID's
inner workings. It might be worth it if you really need to simulate the
hardware in fine detail.

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK
http://www.jennic.com  Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655

@ 2004-04-26  9:13   ` Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2004-04-26  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Cragie; +Cc: msie02, ecos-discuss

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 10:40, Robert Cragie wrote:
> Although the GDB simulator doesn't support peripherals, I have successfully
> run eCos on SID (http://sources.redhat.com/sid/) using SID's pre-configured
> ARM PID target supplied with it (see http://www.asisi.co.uk/ecos_sid.html).

Depending on what you need to achieve, the Linux synthetic target could
also be a good alterntive.

If you are developing under Windows, setting up a virtual linux machine
isn't too much bother these days. www.oclinux.org is an interesting
recent addition. www.oclinux.org is free, though vmware is probably a
bit easier to set up.

--

Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

* Re: [ECOS] Simulator problems on EB40a
@ 2004-04-26 13:27     ` Jani Monoses
From: Jani Monoses @ 2004-04-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> If you are developing under Windows, setting up a virtual linux machine
> isn't too much bother these days. www.oclinux.org is an interesting
> recent addition. www.oclinux.org is free, though vmware is probably a
> bit easier to set up.

www.colinux.org :)

* [ECOS] Real Time debugging
@ 2004-04-26 18:30   ` Gatien Gillon
From: Gatien Gillon @ 2004-04-26 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Has any of you a Idea on how to perform Relat Time debugging . By Relat Time
debugging I mean being able to watch the memory or the state of the
différent process without stopping the execution

* Re: [ECOS] Real Time debugging
@ 2004-04-27  4:54     ` John Newlin
From: John Newlin @ 2004-04-27  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> Has any of you a Idea on how to perform Relat Time debugging . By Relat Time
> debugging I mean being able to watch the memory or the state of the
> différent process without stopping the execution

When you say "without stopping the execution", first question is, is it ok
to take a breakpoint, read the value, and then continue execution?  Or do
you really need to be able to read the memory without any intrusion?

If you can't afford the overhead of a breakpoint, then you need to have
some sort of hardware support in order to achieve this, like a traceport,
and some hardware to collect the trace information.

If taking a breakpoint is acceptable GDB has the concept of tracepoints,
which might be useful.  I'm not sure if the gdb-stub in redboot/ecos
supports tracepoints though.  If it doesn't, it probably wouldn't be
terribly difficult to add support for some simpler tasks, like reading
memory.

If you are looking for something really simple, then you can setup a timer
that fires off however often you want to inspect the variables, inspect
them, put the results in a buffer somewhere, and return.

Well I hope that helps.  :)

-john