* [ECOS] RedBoot[RAM] FIS commands
@ 2004-06-10  5:35 Miguel J. Vega
From: Miguel J. Vega @ 2004-06-10  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Eric Gregory Castle, Samuel Bailey Wintermute

Hi everyone,

Is RedBoot[RAM] supposed to have "fis write" and "fis erase" as its only
FIS commands? If possible, how can the rest of the FIS commands be added?

Miguel J. Vega
FEGI C&DH Team
University of Michigan

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot[RAM] FIS commands
@ 2004-06-10  5:57 ` Jani Monoses
From: Jani Monoses @ 2004-06-10  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
"Miguel J. Vega" <mserrano@engin.umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Is RedBoot[RAM] supposed to have "fis write" and "fis erase" as its only
> FIS commands? If possible, how can the rest of the FIS commands be added?

No it should also have create, list delete etc.
fi lock/unlock if you chip supports locking

And it does not depend on whether it's [RAM] or [ROM], but on having the
io_flash package configured in redboot.

Jani

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot[RAM] FIS commands
@ 2004-06-10  8:08   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2004-06-10  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Monoses; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jani Monoses <jani@iv.ro> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
> "Miguel J. Vega" <mserrano@engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Is RedBoot[RAM] supposed to have "fis write" and "fis erase" as its only
> > FIS commands? If possible, how can the rest of the FIS commands be added?
>
> No it should also have create, list delete etc.
> fi lock/unlock if you chip supports locking
>
> And it does not depend on whether it's [RAM] or [ROM], but on having the
> io_flash package configured in redboot.

However, on platforms with restricted RAM, such as the AT91 EBXX
boards, the FIS filesystem is not enabled. It just uses up too much
RAM. In such systems only the write and erase commands are available.

I'm not aware of any systems which have the FIS present in the ROM
configuration but absent in the RAM configuration, but that might be a
good way to save RAM space for downloading new RedBoot images.