* Re: [ECOS] Self extracting target installer
@ 2004-07-09 17:27 agyhoo
From: agyhoo @ 2004-07-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

How does one go about creating a single flash image
(to be programmed into flash using a bulk programmer) for
RedBoot, RedBoot config, Application and Application data
files?

- Anunoy

* Re: [ECOS] Self extracting target installer
@ 2004-07-09 17:50 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-07-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: agyhoo; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:27:30AM -0700, agyhoo wrote:
> How does one go about creating a single flash image
> (to be programmed into flash using a bulk programmer) for
> RedBoot, RedBoot config, Application and Application data
> files?

The way i would do it, is setup one device manually. Then use a JTAG
device to suck out the entire contents of the flash. Then use what
ever convertion tools you need to turn it into the correct format for
the programmer.

        Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] Self extracting target installer
@ 2004-07-15 13:11 ` Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2004-07-15 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Lunn', ecos-discuss

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Unfortunately, our flash devices do not
have a JTAG interface.  (I was once told that that was not common -- based
on what I've read on this list, I think I was misinformed).  Anyway, our
volumes don't require that sort of solution.

As for preprogramming the FLASH's outside of the board, we have grand plans
of having our distributor do that for us, with a very bare bones RedBoot
that would work in a number of our products, all of which share a common
processor and FLASH design.  The intent is to build up the board with the
bare RedBoot flash and then load the correct software on it as part of our
manufacturing process.

So, here is my current plan (dreamed up Friday afternoon on the way to the
supermarket and ignored all weekend since then).

I would like to add a feature to RedBoot to enable it to execute an
arbitrary script stored in RAM someplace.  (I haven't looked at the code
recently, but my recollection of the current support for executing an
fconfig'd script makes me think that it should be pretty easy, and may
already be in there).  Once I have that, then my self extracting target
installer would be a RedBoot[RAM] + script + data files all munged together
into a single downloadable image.  The script would look something like

fis init -f
fis create this -b 0x80000 -l 0x1234
fis create that -b 0x90000 -l 0x3321

(you get the idea)

What I will need to do is to put together some tools to package this all
together on the host, but I think some combination of binutils and perl
should do the trick.

Comments anybody?

--wpd

Patrick Doyle
DSP Design Engineer
(603) 546-2179

This communication is from DTC Communications, Inc. and is intended to be
confidential and solely for the use of the persons or entities addressed
above.  If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that the information
contained herein may be protected from unauthorized use by privilege or law,
and any copying, distribution, disclosure, or other use of this information
is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
contact the sender by return e-mail or telephone the above number
immediately and delete or destroy all copies.  Thank you for your
cooperation.

* RE: [ECOS] Self extracting target installer
@ 2004-07-12 13:38 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2004-07-12 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Lunn', ecos-discuss

@ 2004-07-09 17:04 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-07-09 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doyle, Patrick; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2004-07-09 15:11 Doyle, Patrick
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2004-07-09 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Doyle, Patrick @ 2004-07-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

[...]

So I am going to write a single (ROM-monitor-less, so we could even use it
to update the RedBoot stored in FLASH if we needed to), application that
contains as data, the 19 or 20 files that need to be installed in FLASH.
I'll probably even go so far as to compress the data so it doesn't take as
long to download it.  Then I can revision control a single image, which I
give to manufacturing, and they can download and run a single program in
order to load everything on the device that needs to be loaded.

This sounds a lot like a self-extracting archive that we use in the
non-embedded land (does anybody remember "shar" files from Unix anymore?).

Any thoughts?