* [ECOS] redboot problems
@ 2004-07-22 15:08 jasmine kohli
From: jasmine kohli @ 2004-07-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hi everyone,

i have a problem while trying to port Redboot to my
target board with MPC852T as the target processor.

I have the following setting for target in ecos.db
target xyz {
        alias{ "XYZ PPC852 board" xyz852 }
        packages {CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC
                  CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_MPC8xx
                  CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_XYZ
                  CYGPKG_HAL_QUICC
                  CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_POWERPC_QUICC_SMC
        }
and the following package in my hal_powerpc_xyz.cdl
file
cdl_package CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_XYZ {
    display       "XYZ PowerPC evaluation board"
    parent        CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC
    requires      CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_MPC8xx
    define_header hal_powerpc_xyz.h
    include_dir   cyg/hal

    compile       hal_diag.c hal_aux.c xyz.S

    implements    CYGINT_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT
    implements    CYGNUM_HAL_QUICC_SMC1

the problem that when i try to bring up redboot on my
board, the code hangs in the call to the
set_debug_comm function by hal_if_init.
if i comment out set_debug_comm calls in hal_if_init,
it hangs in the call to the function
hal_plf_comms_init

can anyone plz suggest where i could be going wrong .

regards,
jasmine

* Re: [ECOS] redboot problems
@ 2004-07-22 15:15 ` Jeff Cooper
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Cooper @ 2004-07-22 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: jasmine kohli, ecos-discuss

On Thursday 22 July 2004 09:42 am, jasmine kohli wrote:
> i have a problem while trying to port Redboot to my
> target board with MPC852T as the target processor.

> the problem that when i try to bring up redboot on my
> board, the code hangs in the call to the
> set_debug_comm function by hal_if_init.
> if i comment out set_debug_comm calls in hal_if_init,
> it hangs in the call to the function
> hal_plf_comms_init
>
> can anyone plz suggest where i could be going wrong .

I had a problem that sounds similar while working on a port to one of our card
engines (SH7760 processor).  What I found is that redboot would output fine
to the serial port, but when I tried to compile an application that used the
eCos kernel, the app would hang on initialization.

It turned out that counter being used as a basis for the delay calls hadn't
been started.  The cyg_hal_plf_scif_set_baud() call was calling a delay
macro.  When building for redboot, this macro ends up calling
hal_misc.c:hal_delay_us(), which properly starts the counter.  However, when
building a kernel, this macro calls hal_if.c:delay_us() which assumes the
counter is already running.

I ended up added code to my cyg_hal_plf_comms_init() for my HAL to start the
counter if building the kernel.

So you might want to look at the delay call for your processor and see if it's
acting like you expect it to.

Do you have an ICE for your processor?  If not, I'd recommend getting one if
you can, they're invaluable for tracking problems like this!

Good luck!
--
Jeff Cooper
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Logic Product Development
411 N. Washington Ave. Suite 101
Minneapolis, MN  55401

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this

* Re: [ECOS] redboot problems
@ 2004-07-22 15:22   ` Jeff Cooper
From: Jeff Cooper @ 2004-07-22 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: jasmine kohli, ecos-discuss

@ 2004-07-22 16:04   ` jasmine kohli
From: jasmine kohli @ 2004-07-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: jeffc

hi jeff,

thanks a lot for ur advice.
but i have a long way to go before i could emulate or
have a similar problem as u --- as i am still not able
to get Redboot up on my board.

can anyone suggest changes on what i could do ,to get
Redboot up on my board.

regards,
jasmine

* Re: [ECOS] redboot problems
@ 2004-07-22 19:44   ` jasmine kohli
From: jasmine kohli @ 2004-07-22 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hi community,
can u guys plz hekp me out on this problem as i am
stuck in it for almost a week
thank u,
regards,
jasmine

* [ECOS] redboot problems
@ 2002-12-18  0:04 narendra babu
From: narendra babu @ 2002-12-18  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

 sir,

   We are using Atmel AT91 Evaluation Board(EB40),when
I want to load redboot_RAM.elf I am following
   like this

   Redboot>ve

   RedBoot>load -m ymodem -b 0x02040000

   it's giving like this "CCCCCCCCC..........can't
load timed out"

   when I was trying with ascii transfer just it is
showing that files
   has transferred, but I don't know which locations
it is writing to?

   instead of ymodem can I use anything else to load
image files ?

  I tried to create my own .elf file by giving all
options for
  AT91EB40 and using ecosconfiguration, so it is
creating .elf
  file. when I was trying to load that elf file like

  arm-elf-gdb redboot.elf
  GNU gdb 5.0
  GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you are
  welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.
  There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
  This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--target=arm-elf"...
  (gdb) tar rdi s=/dev/ttyS1
   Angel Debug Monitor (serial) 1.04 (Advanced RISC
Machines SDT 2.5) for AT91EB40
   (2.00)
   Angel Debug Monitor rebuilt on Apr 07 2000 at
12:40:31
   Serial Rate:   9600
   Connected to ARM RDI target.
   (gdb) lo
0x2020000
    Start address 0x2020040 , load size 53640
    Transfer rate: 6310 bits/sec, 496 bytes/write.
   (gdb) c
   Continuing.

   after this when I was opening minicom, it is
showing there like
   this

$T050f:64230302;0d:00000000;#e1$T050f:64230302;0d:00000000;#e1$T050f:64230302;01

    what is this mean ? how to avoid this and how to
get prompt there ?
    after that how to load our image files to board ?

    once we created ARM executable for any c program,
to which location I have to
    load this elf file ? and how to cross check them ?

    please suggest me how to proceed further on this.

    Thanks in advance for any kind of information.

with regards,
Narendra Babu.A