* [ECOS] Implementing file system
@ 2005-05-02 10:37 Raja Mallik
From: Raja Mallik @ 2005-05-02 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I want to implement file system support for my arm board .. I have these
Q's before I am starting with..

1) "ecos.db" has defines in packages as:

   CYGPKG_FS_RAM , CYGPKG_FS_ROM, and CYGPKG_FS_JFFS2..

   Should I use this? Well to my choice, I would like to try RAM..

2) Now .. I don't see any "fs" template in

   ecos-2.0/packages/devs/  ( unlike we find "eth" "flash" )

   what do I do? shall I create one and write the entire tree..as
   ecos-2.0/packages/devs/fs/arm/MYBOARD/v2_0/

   and implement CDL and SRC..

   Is that right to do..

3) If the choose to use "ecos-2.0/packages/devs/flash/arm" ..how would I
proceed?

Can anybody share info..?

Regards
Raja

* Re: [ECOS] Implementing file system
@ 2005-05-02 16:26 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-05-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raja Mallik; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 04:09:21PM +0530, Raja Mallik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to implement file system support for my arm board .. I have these
> Q's before I am starting with..
>
> 1) "ecos.db" has defines in packages as:
>
>    CYGPKG_FS_RAM , CYGPKG_FS_ROM, and CYGPKG_FS_JFFS2..
>
>    Should I use this? Well to my choice, I would like to try RAM..
>
> 2) Now .. I don't see any "fs" template in
>
>    ecos-2.0/packages/devs/  ( unlike we find "eth" "flash" )
>
>    what do I do? shall I create one and write the entire tree..as
>    ecos-2.0/packages/devs/fs/arm/MYBOARD/v2_0/
>
>    and implement CDL and SRC..
>
>    Is that right to do..

ecosconfig add ramfs

I suggest you read the user manual. The following is particular
relevant for you, but you should realy read all of the manuals so you
don't ask too many FAQs etc.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/config-tool-updating-configuration.html

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Implementing file system
@ 2005-05-04  6:30 ` Raja Mallik
From: Raja Mallik @ 2005-05-04  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Again,

Thanks for the info. I am able to add RAMFS to my existing BUILD tree
and cross-compile for my arm board.

I am also able to generated the test code for ramfs that are located in
ecos-2.0/packages/fs/ramfs/v2_0/tests/fileio1.c

Now I am using armboot loader to load any appilcation binary which I
compiled as:

#make INSTALL_DIR=.../Myboard_install fileio1

and I do

#arm-elf-objcopy -g -O binary fileio1 fileio1.bin

as I use for other examples which works..Note the I replace the "main()"
in examples with "cyg_user_start()"

My armboot loader supports any binary application that can be loaded at
0x30000..

With this procedure I am not able get any message that I have in the
test code "fileio1.c" ...

Am I missing something .. kindly share your thoughts!

Regards
Raja

@ 2005-05-04  6:41   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-05-04  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raja Mallik; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:01:53PM +0530, Raja Mallik wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
> Thanks for the info. I am able to add RAMFS to my existing BUILD tree
> and cross-compile for my arm board.
>
> I am also able to generated the test code for ramfs that are located in
> ecos-2.0/packages/fs/ramfs/v2_0/tests/fileio1.c
>
> Now I am using armboot loader to load any appilcation binary which I
> compiled as:
>
> #make INSTALL_DIR=.../Myboard_install fileio1
>
> and I do
>
> #arm-elf-objcopy -g -O binary fileio1 fileio1.bin
>
> as I use for other examples which works..Note the I replace the "main()"
> in examples with "cyg_user_start()"

Why?

> My armboot loader supports any binary application that can be loaded at
> 0x30000..
>
> With this procedure I am not able get any message that I have in the
> test code "fileio1.c" ...
>
> Am I missing something .. kindly share your thoughts!

You say other test programs work correctly with this procedure? ie
only fileio1 fails to run. Does packages/kernel/current/tests/tm_basic
work?

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Implementing file system
@ 2005-05-04  7:21     ` Raja Mallik
From: Raja Mallik @ 2005-05-04  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Andrew,

> as I use for other examples which works..Note the I replace the
"main()"
> > in examples with "cyg_user_start()"
>
> Why?

-- If i keep "main()" routines, application when loaded does not work..
I adon't know why? need some more pointers !!

> You say other test programs work correctly with this procedure? ie
> only fileio1 fails to run. Does packages/kernel/current/tests/tm_basic
> work?

-- I just made the tm_basic.bin and tried to load. Its too not working..

Do, I need to check my kernel configuration in ecos..?

please, let me know..

--
Raja

@ 2005-05-04  7:34       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-05-04  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raja Mallik; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:48:45PM +0530, Raja Mallik wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > as I use for other examples which works..Note the I replace the
> "main()"
> > > in examples with "cyg_user_start()"
> >
> > Why?
>
> -- If i keep "main()" routines, application when loaded does not work..
> I adon't know why? need some more pointers !!

Don't just ignore something like this. It should work, so it not
working is important.

> > You say other test programs work correctly with this procedure? ie
> > only fileio1 fails to run. Does packages/kernel/current/tests/tm_basic
> > work?
>
> -- I just made the tm_basic.bin and tried to load. Its too not working..
>
> Do, I need to check my kernel configuration in ecos..?

So what have you changed that stopped it working?

Compare your working system with your not working system.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Implementing file system
@ 2005-05-04 11:02         ` Raja Mallik
From: Raja Mallik @ 2005-05-04 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello Again,

As I said in this mail, I have checked the changed configuration of ecos
when file system is added with the prevoius one with ethernet driver
support for my board.

After adding the packege "ramfs" through configtool, with the procedure
described, my hello world program is also not working..irrespective of I
have "main()" or "cyg_user_start()" in hello.c file.

Let me check in details.

Before getting into much details on files system..

I have a set of Q's:

1) Normally in linux, we have interative shell..which can mount/umount a
file system and pass commands to program..

-- How does ecos kernel see that.. Is there any similar kind of
application I can port to ecos.. or anybody has done any similar work..

2) Does ecos provide a shell like unix provide..?

3) Can we any port any shell/editor to ecos as application to make use
of command prompt?

Thanks for the mail..

regards
Raja

@ 2005-05-04 11:28           ` Andrew Lunn
       [not found]             ` <1115213700.1599.29.camel@mazda>
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-05-04 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raja Mallik; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 04:30:26PM +0530, Raja Mallik wrote:
> Hello Again,
>
> As I said in this mail, I have checked the changed configuration of ecos
> when file system is added with the prevoius one with ethernet driver
> support for my board.
>
> After adding the packege "ramfs" through configtool, with the procedure
> described, my hello world program is also not working..irrespective of I
> have "main()" or "cyg_user_start()" in hello.c file.
>
> Let me check in details.
>
> Before getting into much details on files system..
>
> I have a set of Q's:
>
> 1) Normally in linux, we have interative shell..which can mount/umount a
> file system and pass commands to program..
>
> -- How does ecos kernel see that.. Is there any similar kind of
> application I can port to ecos.. or anybody has done any similar work..
>
> 2) Does ecos provide a shell like unix provide..?
>
> 3) Can we any port any shell/editor to ecos as application to make use
> of command prompt?

eCos does not use the Linx idea of a kernel and then seperate
applications. With eCos you statically link the applicaions and the
kernel into one image.

        Andrew

@ 2005-05-04 13:46               ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-05-04 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raja Mallik; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, eCos Disuss

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 07:05:00PM +0530, Raja Mallik wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I understand your point.
>
> what do I gain if I have file system support for my arm board in ecos
> build when I am not able to mount/umount..ofcourse with another
> application program I can..
>
> Since I am making the application as standalone load at certian address
> space with "go" 'address" ..in armboot loader..
>
> If I would have made a redboot.bin , I could have used "arm-elf-gdb" to
> load program. and I am not using it..
>
> I would like to do certain operation on the file system through
> console..and thats my requirement..
>
> I am clueless as what to do?

You first need to spend some time understanding the architecture of
eCos. Forget what you know about linux etc, eCos uses a different
model. You might find this model is not suitable for you application.

        Andrew