* [ECOS] newbie - porting question
@ 2005-10-04  8:29 Antonio Seta
From: Antonio Seta @ 2005-10-04  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I am a newbie. Another one... :)

I'm trying to port the eCOS on Coldfire MCF5235. Of
course, I have read part of Massa's book and I have
understood that I can use an existing similar HAL
baseline as starting point for my task. In the Massa's
book that there is another Coldfire porting, but I'll
need one extra driver for USB, too. Anyway I did not
find the Coldfire in the Supported Hardware list on
the ecos web site, which is another problem for meÂ…

Can anyone tell me, from your previous experience, how
long does it take to accomplish such a porting? An
approximate figure, of courseÂ…

Thanks a lot,
A.S.

* [ECOS] Re: newbie - porting question
@ 2005-10-04 14:39 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2005-10-04 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie. Another one... :)
>
> I'm trying to port the eCOS on Coldfire MCF5235. Of
> course, I have read part of Massa's book and I have
> understood that I can use an existing similar HAL
> baseline as starting point for my task. In the Massa's
> book that there is another Coldfire porting, but I'll
> need one extra driver for USB, too. Anyway I did not
> find the Coldfire in the Supported Hardware list on
> the ecos web site, which is another problem for meÂ…
>
> Can anyone tell me, from your previous experience, how
> long does it take to accomplish such a porting? An
> approximate figure, of courseÂ…

Assuming there's already a port to the architecture (e.g.
there's already a port for the CPU core, but you're doing all
new peripherals), it takes a couple weeks to do a port.  If the
basic peripherals are the same (timers, interrupt controller),
it should only take a week or so.

That assumes you already have a toolchain up and running.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm also against
                                  at               BODY-SURFING!!