* [ECOS] cirrus ep93xx - ecos works, network problems
@ 2005-10-11 12:01 Deak, Ferenc
From: Deak, Ferenc @ 2005-10-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Dear sirs,

We have a custom cirrus ep9307 based board. Cirrus has a software package
for their ep93xx-based boards, which contains patches for linux and a
redboot-only ecos. Redboot and linux works fine on our board. I have
managed to work the basic ecos, but I have trouble with the network.

Is there anybody who made the network work, and can help? We would be very
thankful for any help.

Thanks in advance,
Ferenc Deak

* Re: [ECOS] cirrus ep93xx - ecos works, network problems
@ 2005-10-11 12:06 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-10-11 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deak, Ferenc; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 02:04:25PM +0200, Deak, Ferenc wrote:

> Dear sirs,
>
> We have a custom cirrus ep9307 based board. Cirrus has a software package
> for their ep93xx-based boards, which contains patches for linux and a
> redboot-only ecos. Redboot and linux works fine on our board. I have
> managed to work the basic ecos, but I have trouble with the network.
>
> Is there anybody who made the network work, and can help? We would be very
> thankful for any help.

The normal problem here is that the network device driver for Redboot
is polled io, where as a full eCos device driver is interrupt
driven. I suggest you take a look at the device driver and see what it
actually implements.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] cirrus ep93xx - ecos works, network problems
@ 2005-10-11 13:15   ` Deak, Ferenc
From: Deak, Ferenc @ 2005-10-11 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> > We have a custom cirrus ep9307 based board. Cirrus has a software package
> > for their ep93xx-based boards, which contains patches for linux and a
> > redboot-only ecos. Redboot and linux works fine on our board. I have
> > managed to work the basic ecos, but I have trouble with the network.
> >
> > Is there anybody who made the network work, and can help? We would be very
> > thankful for any help.
>
> The normal problem here is that the network device driver for Redboot
> is polled io, where as a full eCos device driver is interrupt
> driven. I suggest you take a look at the device driver and see what it
> actually implements.

The problem is not so theoretical:-) I'm looking and testing and
modifying the driver until yesterday. It seems that someone at cirrus have written
the driver "correctly" because there is a redboot and a real-kernel related
code in it, there is an IT initialised, a NETDEVTAB_ENTRY etc. (but,
strange that the real IT related routines usually in hal/<proc>/src/proc_misc.c
were missing from the patch, but I've added them...) Network ITs are working etc.

The problem where I stopped: There is register in the network related part of the processor,
which is set to 1 to sign that there is a new data filled and ready to send. But when this register
is set to 1 second times the whole board stops working at this line, prints before this line are
appearing but prints after are not. (but these lines are common with the redboot code, so
perhaps these are algorithmically right)
On the other hand the board cannot be ping-ed, end receive events are not comming (but these are
coming under redboot...)

So if somebody has an ideo to try, I would be very grateful.

Ferenc

* Re: [ECOS] cirrus ep93xx - ecos works, network problems
@ 2005-10-11 14:10     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-10-11 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deak, Ferenc; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 03:17:46PM +0200, Deak, Ferenc wrote:

> > > We have a custom cirrus ep9307 based board. Cirrus has a software package
> > > for their ep93xx-based boards, which contains patches for linux and a
> > > redboot-only ecos. Redboot and linux works fine on our board. I have
> > > managed to work the basic ecos, but I have trouble with the network.
> > >
> > > Is there anybody who made the network work, and can help? We would be very
> > > thankful for any help.
> >
> > The normal problem here is that the network device driver for Redboot
> > is polled io, where as a full eCos device driver is interrupt
> > driven. I suggest you take a look at the device driver and see what it
> > actually implements.
>
> The problem is not so theoretical:-) I'm looking and testing and
> modifying the driver until yesterday. It seems that someone at cirrus have written
> the driver "correctly" because there is a redboot and a real-kernel related
> code in it, there is an IT initialised, a NETDEVTAB_ENTRY etc. (but,
> strange that the real IT related routines usually in hal/<proc>/src/proc_misc.c
> were missing from the patch, but I've added them...) Network ITs are working etc.
>
> The problem where I stopped: There is register in the network related part of the processor,
> which is set to 1 to sign that there is a new data filled and ready to send. But when this register
> is set to 1 second times the whole board stops working at this line, prints before this line are
> appearing but prints after are not. (but these lines are common with the redboot code, so
> perhaps these are algorithmically right)
> On the other hand the board cannot be ping-ed, end receive events are not comming (but these are
> coming under redboot...)
>
> So if somebody has an ideo to try, I would be very grateful.

What is the license on the code? Can you let us see it or is it closed
source?

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] cirrus ep93xx - ecos works, network problems
@ 2005-10-11 15:54       ` Deak, Ferenc
From: Deak, Ferenc @ 2005-10-11 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> What is the license on the code? Can you let us see it or is it closed
> source?

License of our modifications are ok, I will check the cirrus licence tomorrow, but anyway it is
an ecos add-on using the ecos driver API, so it GPL isn't it? (by the way the patch is for ecos 2.0).

@ 2005-10-11 16:18     ` Deak, Ferenc
From: Deak, Ferenc @ 2005-10-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> > > We have a custom cirrus ep9307 based board. Cirrus has a software package
> > > for their ep93xx-based boards, which contains patches for linux and a
> > > redboot-only ecos. Redboot and linux works fine on our board. I have
> > > managed to work the basic ecos, but I have trouble with the network.
> > >
> > > Is there anybody who made the network work, and can help? We would be very
> > > thankful for any help.
> >
> > The normal problem here is that the network device driver for Redboot
> > is polled io, where as a full eCos device driver is interrupt
> > driven. I suggest you take a look at the device driver and see what it
> > actually implements.
>
> The problem is not so theoretical:-) I'm looking and testing and
> modifying the driver until yesterday. It seems that someone at cirrus have written
> the driver "correctly" because there is a redboot and a real-kernel related
> code in it, there is an IT initialised, a NETDEVTAB_ENTRY etc. (but,
> strange that the real IT related routines usually in hal/<proc>/src/proc_misc.c
> were missing from the patch, but I've added them...) Network ITs are working etc.
>
> The problem where I stopped: There is register in the network related part of the processor,
> which is set to 1 to sign that there is a new data filled and ready to send. But when this register
> is set to 1 second times the whole board stops working at this line, prints before this line are
> appearing but prints after are not. (but these lines are common with the redboot code, so
> perhaps these are algorithmically right)
> On the other hand the board cannot be ping-ed, end receive events are not comming (but these are
> coming under redboot...)
>
> So if somebody has an ideo to try, I would be very grateful.

In the meantime I'm implemented the trick found in the cs8900a driver, which can
be configured to use a thread (continously calling { cyg_thread_delay(5); s = splnet();
ep93xx_poll(sc); splx(s); } instead of using interrupts, but it is not help anything.

By the way, is this trick have to work at all, or is this a "dead-end" left in the code?

@ 2005-10-13 14:27 ` Deak, Ferenc
From: Deak, Ferenc @ 2005-10-13 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Just for people who will searching the list, I would like to place mark here, that the
problems are solved, ecos(not redboot) & network is ok for ep93xx.

@ 2005-10-13 14:32   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-10-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deak, Ferenc; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:29 +0200, Deak, Ferenc wrote:
> Just for people who will searching the list, I would like to place mark here, that the
> problems are solved, ecos(not redboot) & network is ok for ep93xx.

What did you end up needing to do to make this work?

@ 2005-10-17 13:10     ` Deak, Ferenc
From: Deak, Ferenc @ 2005-10-17 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:32:28 -0600
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:29 +0200, Deak, Ferenc wrote:
> > Just for people who will searching the list, I would like to place mark here, that the
> > problems are solved, ecos(not redboot) & network is ok for ep93xx.
> >

> What did you end up needing to do to make this work?

There were few errors on the driver.

We will check the licence issues of the code from cirrus, and we can, we will create an ecos package for ep93xx.

Best regards,

@ 2005-10-12  8:34 bob.koninckx
From: bob.koninckx @ 2005-10-12  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deak, Ferenc; +Cc: ecos-discuss