* [ECOS] Random question about performance
@ 2006-02-20  4:09 Chuck McManis
From: Chuck McManis @ 2006-02-20  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ECOS Discussion Group

So Redboot isn't a speed demon, I knew that, but pings to redboot take on
average 4 - 6 milliseconds. Pings to UNIX running on the same hardware take
.4 - .8 milleseconds. That is not quite 10x slower. I know Redboot is a
polled networking system but it doesn't have to context switch either.
What's up with that?

--Chuck

(who is busily desconstructing possible workarounds in his ethernet driver
now that its working ;-)

* Re: [ECOS] Random question about performance
@ 2006-02-20  7:55 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-02-20  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck McManis; +Cc: ECOS Discussion Group

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 20:09 -0800, Chuck McManis wrote:
> So Redboot isn't a speed demon, I knew that, but pings to redboot take on
> average 4 - 6 milliseconds. Pings to UNIX running on the same hardware take
> .4 - .8 milleseconds. That is not quite 10x slower. I know Redboot is a
> polled networking system but it doesn't have to context switch either.
> What's up with that?

This is probably more about what else it's polling.  RedBoot only
polls the network device, and hence answers pings, as it's waiting
for "console" input.  Depending on the device you have, and the
number of them if you are in "any console" mode, this can take a
while between polls.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>

* [ECOS] Re: Random question about performance
@ 2006-02-20 15:07 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2006-02-20 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

> So Redboot isn't a speed demon, I knew that, but pings to redboot take on
> average 4 - 6 milliseconds. Pings to UNIX running on the same hardware take
> .4 - .8 milleseconds. That is not quite 10x slower. I know Redboot is a
> polled networking system but it doesn't have to context switch either.
> What's up with that?

In some modes, RedBoot only checks for network input once every
10ms.  That means average ping times of around 5ms.  On my
platform, I increased the polling rate to 1-2 ms to make
RedBoot more responsive to network traffic.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  How's the wife? Is
                                  at               she at home enjoying