* [ECOS] Help: RedBoot_RAM working, RedBoot_ROM not
@ 2006-02-27  9:12 Rohit Pandita
From: Rohit Pandita @ 2006-02-27  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I've been able to execute RedBoot_RAM on my board (Phycore555) finally,
now I'm trying to get the ROM version to work, that's where I have hit
another roadblock. I was able to build binary (.elf, came out to be
900+kB, is that usual?!) for RedBoot _ROM successfully using Configtool GUI.

Then I flashed it to the external ROM and reset, on reset I couldn't get
the RedBoot CLI on serial port A or B of mpc555. To rule out problems
with flash programmer issues, I re-flashed the same image using
Redboot_RAM and the RedBoot update method described in the
documentation, successfully. Still no luck with CLI!

I would appreciate if someone could offer help here. Thanks in advance

Rohit

* Re: [ECOS] Help: RedBoot_RAM working, RedBoot_ROM not
@ 2006-02-27  9:22 ` Andrew Lunn
       [not found]   ` <4402FD0C.4060001@umn.edu>
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-02-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Pandita; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 05:12:24PM -0600, Rohit Pandita wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been able to execute RedBoot_RAM on my board (Phycore555) finally,
> now I'm trying to get the ROM version to work, that's where I have hit
> another roadblock. I was able to build binary (.elf, came out to be
> 900+kB, is that usual?!) for RedBoot _ROM successfully using Configtool GUI.

That is ususal. The ELF file contains all the debug information,
symbol table etc.

> Then I flashed it to the external ROM and reset, on reset I couldn't get
> the RedBoot CLI on serial port A or B of mpc555.

Do you flash the ELF or a binary image made from the ELF.

        Andrew

@ 2006-02-28  7:51     ` Andrew Lunn
       [not found]       ` <4403834F.9000307@umn.edu>
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-02-28  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Pandita; +Cc: eCos Disuss

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 07:22:20AM -0600, Rohit Pandita wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> I flashed the ELF..

That does not work. You need to flash the binary image. The build
process should of generate a redboot.bin. Use that.

        Andrew

@ 2006-02-28 10:09         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-02-28 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Pandita; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, eCos Disuss

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 04:55:11PM -0600, Rohit Pandita wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> The build process generated only the ELF image. However, I used binutils
> given with 'gnutools' to convert the image to pure binary.  Still it
> didn't work.
> RedBoot_RAM I'm using was dumped to the RAM in ELF format, and it worked?

What ever you used to put the image into RAM will of parsed the ELF
file and loaded just what is needed.

> What steps can I take? I appreciate your help.

Start debugging. Single step the startup code and see what happens.

        Andrew