* RE: [ECOS] Does someone know how to deactivate MMU to check a memory access ?
@ 2006-03-30 19:51 Shmuel Vagner
From: Shmuel Vagner @ 2006-03-30 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thierry langlais, eCos Disuss

Thierry (and list)
I had a similar problem with our custom IXP425 based board.

To test the second flash I did the following:
I compiled different ROM and RAM images:
In the ROM image:
1 - I enabled CS1 with the same defaults as CS0:
In: cyg/hal/<your_platform_name>.h
#define IXP425_EXP_CS1_INIT \
 (EXP_ADDR_T(3) | EXP_SETUP_T(3) | EXP_STROBE_T(15) | EXP_HOLD_T(3) | \
  EXP_RECOVERY_T(15) | EXP_SZ_16M | EXP_WR_EN | EXP_BYTE_RD16 |
EXP_CS_EN)

2 - I added the new flash range to the MMU:
In : hal_platform_setup.h
	IXP_MAP_EXP 1, IXDP_FLASH_SIZE,       0, 0, 0, 0   // Flash1
(same as main flash)

Now the board can talk to the flash in CS1 but the flash driver does not
know about it.

In the RAM image:
1 - I changed the flash base in two places:
In: <your_platform_name>.h
#define IXDP_FLASH_BASE                    0x51000000
In: your_platform_name_strataflash.inl
#define CYGNUM_FLASH_BASE 	(0x51000000u)

Then I burned the ROM image to flash and loaded the RAM image from net.
The result was that the ram image worked on the second flash (but was
blind to the first one).

The above procedure does not enable working on both flashes
simultaneously but allows checking that the second flash is OK.

I noticed some old mail from Andrew that explains that it is not
possible to work with two flashes on different CS simultaneously because
the flash region is not contiguous and that a new flash driver (called
flash_v2) that supports it is on the way.
Does anybody know if this new flash driver is operational?
Shmuel

From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-03-30 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shmuel Vagner; +Cc: thierry langlais, eCos Disuss

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:46:44PM +0200, Shmuel Vagner wrote:
> Thierry (and list)
> I had a similar problem with our custom IXP425 based board.
>
> To test the second flash I did the following:
> I compiled different ROM and RAM images:
> In the ROM image:
> 1 - I enabled CS1 with the same defaults as CS0:
> In: cyg/hal/<your_platform_name>.h
> #define IXP425_EXP_CS1_INIT \
>  (EXP_ADDR_T(3) | EXP_SETUP_T(3) | EXP_STROBE_T(15) | EXP_HOLD_T(3) | \
>   EXP_RECOVERY_T(15) | EXP_SZ_16M | EXP_WR_EN | EXP_BYTE_RD16 |
> EXP_CS_EN)
>
> 2 - I added the new flash range to the MMU:
> In : hal_platform_setup.h
> 	IXP_MAP_EXP 1, IXDP_FLASH_SIZE,       0, 0, 0, 0   // Flash1
> (same as main flash)
>
> Now the board can talk to the flash in CS1 but the flash driver does not
> know about it.
>
> In the RAM image:
> 1 - I changed the flash base in two places:
> In: <your_platform_name>.h
> #define IXDP_FLASH_BASE                    0x51000000
> In: your_platform_name_strataflash.inl
> #define CYGNUM_FLASH_BASE 	(0x51000000u)
>
> Then I burned the ROM image to flash and loaded the RAM image from net.
> The result was that the ram image worked on the second flash (but was
> blind to the first one).
>
> The above procedure does not enable working on both flashes
> simultaneously but allows checking that the second flash is OK.
>
> I noticed some old mail from Andrew that explains that it is not
> possible to work with two flashes on different CS simultaneously because
> the flash region is not contiguous and that a new flash driver (called
> flash_v2) that supports it is on the way.
> Does anybody know if this new flash driver is operational?

flash_v2 is not usable. However only three flash drivers have been
modified to use it, Strata, AMD and ST. If you have one of these
families on your board it should be straigh forward to use the
flash_v2 branch. If you have a different flash chip you will need to
work on the driver to make is support the flash_v2 API.

You also have another alternative. Since you have an MMU, you can use
it to map the virtual address of the second flash so that it is
contiguous with the first one. The existing flash code should then be
able both devices.

        Andrew

* [ECOS] Strata flash driver status ?
@ 2006-04-05  7:58   ` thierry langlais
From: thierry langlais @ 2006-04-05  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Shmuel Vagner, eCos Disuss

Hi Andrew,

I have to manage two strataflash on an ixpd425 board.
The range i have to address is 0x50000000 to 0x51FFFFFF.

What could you advice me to start ?
- on the flash_v2 branch
- on the currrent code
- another way

Thanks,

Thierry

Le jeudi 30 mars 2006 à 21:51 +0200, Andrew Lunn a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:46:44PM +0200, Shmuel Vagner wrote:
> > Thierry (and list)
> > I had a similar problem with our custom IXP425 based board.
> >
> > To test the second flash I did the following:
> > I compiled different ROM and RAM images:
> > In the ROM image:
> > 1 - I enabled CS1 with the same defaults as CS0:
> > In: cyg/hal/<your_platform_name>.h
> > #define IXP425_EXP_CS1_INIT \
> >  (EXP_ADDR_T(3) | EXP_SETUP_T(3) | EXP_STROBE_T(15) | EXP_HOLD_T(3) | \
> >   EXP_RECOVERY_T(15) | EXP_SZ_16M | EXP_WR_EN | EXP_BYTE_RD16 |
> > EXP_CS_EN)
> >
> > 2 - I added the new flash range to the MMU:
> > In : hal_platform_setup.h
> > 	IXP_MAP_EXP 1, IXDP_FLASH_SIZE,       0, 0, 0, 0   // Flash1
> > (same as main flash)
> >
> > Now the board can talk to the flash in CS1 but the flash driver does not
> > know about it.
> >
> > In the RAM image:
> > 1 - I changed the flash base in two places:
> > In: <your_platform_name>.h
> > #define IXDP_FLASH_BASE                    0x51000000
> > In: your_platform_name_strataflash.inl
> > #define CYGNUM_FLASH_BASE 	(0x51000000u)
> >
> > Then I burned the ROM image to flash and loaded the RAM image from net.
> > The result was that the ram image worked on the second flash (but was
> > blind to the first one).
> >
> > The above procedure does not enable working on both flashes
> > simultaneously but allows checking that the second flash is OK.
> >
> > I noticed some old mail from Andrew that explains that it is not
> > possible to work with two flashes on different CS simultaneously because
> > the flash region is not contiguous and that a new flash driver (called
> > flash_v2) that supports it is on the way.
> > Does anybody know if this new flash driver is operational?
>
> flash_v2 is not usable. However only three flash drivers have been
> modified to use it, Strata, AMD and ST. If you have one of these
> families on your board it should be straigh forward to use the
> flash_v2 branch. If you have a different flash chip you will need to
> work on the driver to make is support the flash_v2 API.
>
> You also have another alternative. Since you have an MMU, you can use
> it to map the virtual address of the second flash so that it is
> contiguous with the first one. The existing flash code should then be
> able both devices.
>
>         Andrew

* [ECOS] Re: Strata flash driver status ?
@ 2006-04-05  9:30     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-04-05  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thierry langlais; +Cc: eCos Disuss

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:58:42AM +0200, thierry langlais wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I have to manage two strataflash on an ixpd425 board.
> The range i have to address is 0x50000000 to 0x51FFFFFF.
>
> What could you advice me to start ?
> - on the flash_v2 branch
> - on the currrent code
> - another way

Are the two flash contiguous, or is there a hole in the middle?  If
there is no hole, the current flash code should probably handle it.

If there is a hole you have two options
   use flash_v2 branch
   use the MMU to move one of the flash so that they are contiguous.

        Andrew

* [ECOS] Does someone know how to deactivate MMU to check a memory access ?
@ 2006-03-30 16:56 thierry langlais