* [ECOS] Time
@ 2006-08-10 12:20 manu shetty
From: manu shetty @ 2006-08-10 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
    Is there any equivalent function for
"do_gettimeofday of Linux" in ECOS ?.

Thanks.

Regards

* Re: [ECOS] Time
@ 2006-08-10 12:29 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-08-10 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manu shetty; +Cc: ecos-discuss

manu shetty wrote:
> Hi,
>     Is there any equivalent function for
> "do_gettimeofday of Linux" in ECOS ?.

I think you mean simply gettimeofday(), which is implemented as
part of the POSIX package.

* Re: [ECOS] Time
@ 2006-08-11  3:31   ` manu shetty
From: manu shetty @ 2006-08-11  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, ecos-discuss

Hi,
   Thanks for your reply.
I mean any function which provides the same
informations as "do_gettimeofday of Linux".

Regards

--- Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> manu shetty wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     Is there any equivalent function for
> > "do_gettimeofday of Linux" in ECOS ?.
>
> I think you mean simply gettimeofday(), which is
> implemented as
> part of the POSIX package.
>
> --

> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

* [ECOS]  Re: Time
@ 2006-08-11  3:35     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2006-08-11  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2006-08-11, manu shetty <shetty_m@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Is there any equivalent function for "do_gettimeofday of
>>> Linux" in ECOS ?.
>>
>> I think you mean simply gettimeofday(), which is implemented
>> as part of the POSIX package.

> I mean any function which provides the same informations as
> "do_gettimeofday of Linux".

You might get a useful answer if you actually explained what
that information is (what information you want).  The more
difficult you make it for people to figure out what you want,
the less likely you are to get help.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PEGGY FLEMMING is
                                  at               stealing BASKET BALLS to

* Re: [ECOS]  Re: Time
@ 2006-08-11  7:31       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-08-11  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 03:35:12AM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> I think you mean simply gettimeofday(), which is implemented
> >> as part of the POSIX package.
>
> > I mean any function which provides the same informations as
> > "do_gettimeofday of Linux".
>
> You might get a useful answer if you actually explained what
> that information is (what information you want).  The more
> difficult you make it for people to figure out what you want,
> the less likely you are to get help.

Hi Grant

Remeber that Shetty is trying to somehow shoehorn a Linux kernel
device driver or protocol stack or something into
eCos. do_gettimeofday is a linux kernel function. Shetty seems to
assume we all know the Linux kernel inside out and upside down. It
also seems like Shetty has little idea about POSIX userspace
functions.

So, Shetty. eCos != Linux. Don't assume we know about the insides of
Linux. It is reasonable to assume we know about POSIX.

Since you are obviously i Linux guy, try

man gettimeofday

and you will find it is very silimar to do_gettimeofday().

    Andrew

* [ECOS] Re: Time
@ 2006-08-11 16:00         ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2006-08-11 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

>>> I mean any function which provides the same informations as
>>> "do_gettimeofday of Linux".
>>
>> You might get a useful answer if you actually explained what
>> that information is (what information you want).  The more
>> difficult you make it for people to figure out what you want,
>> the less likely you are to get help.

> Remeber that Shetty is trying to somehow shoehorn a Linux
> kernel device driver or protocol stack or something into eCos.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Sucks to be him. ;) Porting kernel code/drivers from one OS to
another is pretty tough work.  In my experience (device drivers
mostly) it's usually easier to sit down with the original code,
write a spec for it, then start from scratch under the new OS.

> do_gettimeofday is a linux kernel function.

Ya know, I think I used to know that.

> Shetty seems to assume we all know the Linux kernel inside out
> and upside down.

Well, some of us do know certain corners of the Linux kernel
from certain angles, but assuming that we know any give feature
is definitely counter-productive.  :)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I want FORTY-TWO
                                  at               TRYNEL FLOATATION SYSTEMS