* [ECOS] Submitting patches / updates
@ 2007-02-21  6:37 Chuck McManis
From: Chuck McManis @ 2007-02-21  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ECOS Discussion Group

Ok, so last year I got the VT8235 southbridge code to work with ECOS (this
is kind of like a Rhine driver but not quite). And never got around to
sending it. I was asked if I would and I said "sure" but then I realized
its probably not that simple.

So I did a 'cvs -z3 update -d -P' in preparation for it, and the usual
stuff like my files aren't part of the distribution (ok, so I can just
bundle those up in a tar ball) but there are some other changes I'm not so
sure of.

A year ago there was discussion about making a separate interface for the
Phy in the network layer. I built that using some of the prototype stuff
that Gary Thomas had done but there was this mysterious thing that I
couldn't talk to the Phy unless I could pass in the device handle for the
Mac because the Phy was connected through the MII port on the MAC.

I asked on the list and never got an answer back about how the Phy routines
were supposed to get hooked up to the network driver so their still not
really used. if someone can supply that information I'd be happy to finish
that part of it.

The other thing is that I needed to make changes to ecos.db to add a new
target (epia_mii) and added a new directory in dev/eth/via/vt8235

Not sure how to communicate those changes to the powers that Be either. If
can get some suggestions on how to go about this I can send the code along ...

thanks,
--Chuck

* Re: [ECOS] Submitting patches / updates
@ 2007-02-21 13:03 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-02-21 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck McManis; +Cc: ECOS Discussion Group

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 08:14:37PM -0800, Chuck McManis wrote:
> Ok, so last year I got the VT8235 southbridge code to work with ECOS (this
> is kind of like a Rhine driver but not quite). And never got around to
> sending it. I was asked if I would and I said "sure" but then I realized
> its probably not that simple.
>
> So I did a 'cvs -z3 update -d -P' in preparation for it, and the usual
> stuff like my files aren't part of the distribution (ok, so I can just
> bundle those up in a tar ball) but there are some other changes I'm not so
> sure of.
>
> A year ago there was discussion about making a separate interface for the
> Phy in the network layer. I built that using some of the prototype stuff
> that Gary Thomas had done but there was this mysterious thing that I
> couldn't talk to the Phy unless I could pass in the device handle for the
> Mac because the Phy was connected through the MII port on the MAC.
>
> I asked on the list and never got an answer back about how the Phy routines
> were supposed to get hooked up to the network driver so their still not
> really used. if someone can supply that information I'd be happy to finish
> that part of it.

If you can only ever have one MAC chip, just make you MAC handle a
static variable. If you have multiple MACs maybe you can do something
clever with the linux concept of container_of().

> The other thing is that I needed to make changes to ecos.db to add a new
> target (epia_mii) and added a new directory in dev/eth/via/vt8235
>
> Not sure how to communicate those changes to the powers that Be either. If
> can get some suggestions on how to go about this I can send the code along

For new directories, send a tar file. For the rest
cvs diff -u

    Andrew