From: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>
To: xiaolu zhao <deerxiaolu@gmail.com>
Cc: ecos-discuss <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: [ECOS] how to check my modifications to the kernel without a board?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:11:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 06:11:15PM +0200, xiaolu zhao wrote:
> Thank you so much for your help!! But I still not very clear about
> some problems.
>
> 1. If "Redboot does not use the kernel" , does that mean if I want to
> see the result of my modification, redboot is no help. But if without
> the redboot, can I still use the VMware to run the ecos? Because I
> only see the examples about how to run the redboot on VMware.

Redboot is just an eCos application. The test cases are eCos
applications. If vmware can run Redboot, it should be able to run eCos
applications.

> 2. After these steps:
>        " ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139
>          edit ecos.ecc and change CYG_HAL_STARTUP to floppy
>          ecosconfig tree
>          make -s tests "
>    and compilation of ecos, I also need to run some applications to
> verify my   modification( like get some calculation results). How I
> can run the applications and see the results?

The same way you run the test cases. The hello world example shows you
how to link your application to eCos.

I would suggest you first start with a clean, unmodified tree. Get the
test cases to run. You might find tm_basic interesting since it
performs timing measurements of kernel operations.

Only once you have unmodified eCos working, then start with your
modifications.

               Andrew