* [ECOS] Any suggestion about text-based GUI function?
@ 2007-07-05  3:34 wang cui
From: wang cui @ 2007-07-05  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312; format=flowed, Size: 906 bytes --]

Hi,

As we always provide console for user interaction. It's difficult for use
to remember and understand so many commands.

I'd like to provide a text-based GUI interface, a great example is Turbo C
program.

I did some work on my target, analysis user input(eg. arrow keys) from
terminal(HyperTerminal), and keep the terminal screen layout unchanged, but
update corresponding fields. Also automaticaly update statistic fields when
changed.
I found it useful for newbie user.

Is there guide article or open-source library to help accomplish such
function?

Thanks in advanced.

* RE: [ECOS] Any suggestion about text-based GUI function?
@ 2007-07-05  4:30 ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2007-07-05  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss'

> From: wang cui
>
> As we always provide console for user interaction. It's
> difficult for use
> to remember and understand so many commands.
>
> I'd like to provide a text-based GUI interface, a great
> example is Turbo C
> program.
>
> I did some work on my target, analysis user input(eg. arrow
> keys) from
> terminal(HyperTerminal), and keep the terminal screen layout
> unchanged, but
> update corresponding fields. Also automaticaly update
> statistic fields when
> changed.
> I found it useful for newbie user.
>
> Is there guide article or open-source library to help accomplish such
> function?

Actually, TurboVision, which is the text-based GUI framework created by
Borland, is in the public domain. A Google search came up with a Gnu port at
SourceForge.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: [ECOS] Any suggestion about text-based GUI function?
@ 2007-07-05  4:39 ` Sergei Gavrikov
From: Sergei Gavrikov @ 2007-07-05  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wang cui; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 03:34:03AM +0000, wang cui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As we always provide console for user interaction. It's difficult for use
> to remember and understand so many commands.
>
> I'd like to provide a text-based GUI interface, a great example is Turbo C
> program.
>
> I did some work on my target, analysis user input(eg. arrow keys) from
> terminal(HyperTerminal), and keep the terminal screen layout unchanged, but
> update corresponding fields. Also automaticaly update statistic fields when
> changed.
> I found it useful for newbie user.
>
> Is there guide article or open-source library to help accomplish such
> function?

You would like to read this nice article:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-tams3/

Peter Seebach told about using BSD curses under eCos. AFAIK, there are 2
_main_ TUI libraries in open-source world. These are slang and ncurses.

But let think about an Expect (http://www.tcl.tk) too. Using Expect and
any TUI wrapper (I prefer `whiptail' on Linux), it isn't difficult to
write an interactive system is embedding no extra libraries in your eCos
programs. What do we need? That's just any CLI prompt.

regards,

-- Sergei