* [ECOS] at91Arm7sek running without the pll
@ 2008-02-25 14:47 Tobias Nielsen
From: Tobias Nielsen @ 2008-02-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have been sitting for some time to try to figure out a way to
completely skip the PLL AND at the same time use the main oscillator
bypass feature. I can see that the usage of the PLL is more or less
directly coded in to a macro in the header:

hal/arm/at91/at91sam7s/current/include/hal_platform_setup.h

But if i want to completely bypass that feature and follow the
instructions in the datasheet that states OSCBYPASS should be set to 1
and MOSCEN must be set 0 - i have absolutely no idea on how to put
that functionality in to the system without hacking a lot of code that
i in principle have no knowledge about...

Do anyone know how to make that bypass?
--
Yours kindly

Tobias Nielsen

* Re: [ECOS] at91Arm7sek running without the pll
@ 2008-02-25 16:01 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-02-25 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Nielsen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 03:47:26PM +0100, Tobias Nielsen wrote:
> I have been sitting for some time to try to figure out a way to
> completely skip the PLL AND at the same time use the main oscillator
> bypass feature. I can see that the usage of the PLL is more or less
> directly coded in to a macro in the header:
>
> hal/arm/at91/at91sam7s/current/include/hal_platform_setup.h
>
> But if i want to completely bypass that feature and follow the
> instructions in the datasheet that states OSCBYPASS should be set to 1
> and MOSCEN must be set 0 - i have absolutely no idea on how to put
> that functionality in to the system without hacking a lot of code that
> i in principle have no knowledge about...
>
> Do anyone know how to make that bypass?

It will be a little bit messy.

Why do you need to turn the PLL off? Can you live with the PLL simply
multiplying by 1 and dividing by 1?

            Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] at91Arm7sek running without the pll
@ 2008-02-25 16:05   ` Tobias Nielsen
From: Tobias Nielsen @ 2008-02-25 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Nope, i have a situation where the the external components to drive
the PLL is not connected - therefore i have to run without the PLL

--

@ 2008-02-25 16:22     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-02-25 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Nielsen; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 05:05:38PM +0100, Tobias Nielsen wrote:
> Nope, i have a situation where the the external components to drive
> the PLL is not connected - therefore i have to run without the PLL
>
> 2008/2/25, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>:
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 03:47:26PM +0100, Tobias Nielsen wrote:
> >  > I have been sitting for some time to try to figure out a way to
> >  > completely skip the PLL AND at the same time use the main oscillator
> >  > bypass feature. I can see that the usage of the PLL is more or less
> >  > directly coded in to a macro in the header:
> >  >
> >  > hal/arm/at91/at91sam7s/current/include/hal_platform_setup.h
> >  >
> >  > But if i want to completely bypass that feature and follow the
> >  > instructions in the datasheet that states OSCBYPASS should be set to 1
> >  > and MOSCEN must be set 0 - i have absolutely no idea on how to put
> >  > that functionality in to the system without hacking a lot of code that
> >  > i in principle have no knowledge about...
> >  >
> >  > Do anyone know how to make that bypass?
> >

> > It will be a little bit messy.
> >
> >  Why do you need to turn the PLL off? Can you live with the PLL simply
> >  multiplying by 1 and dividing by 1?

Then i suggest you add CDL control of this. A new option say

CYGBLD_HAL_ARM_AT91_PLL_BYPASS

So that CYGNUM_HAL_ARM_AT91_CLOCK_SPEED is calculated correctly, you
want some requires statements in the CYGBLD_HAL_ARM_AT91_PLL_BYPASS
option. Something like

cdl_option CYGBLD_HAL_ARM_AT91_PLL_BYPASS {
    display  "Bypass the PLL"
    flavor bool
    default_value 0

    requires CYGNUM_HAL_ARM_AT91_PLL_MULTIPLIER == 2
    requires CYGNUM_HAL_ARM_AT91_PLL_DIVIDER == 1

    description "
       The PLL requires external components which not all targets have.
        Enabling this option bypasses the PLL."
}

Then in hal_platform_setup.h add the necassary code inside #ifdefs.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] at91Arm7sek running without the pll
@ 2008-02-25 16:27       ` Tobias Nielsen
From: Tobias Nielsen @ 2008-02-25 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

Oki, i will try to work with it a bit then... - thx

--
Yours kindly

Tobias Nielsen