* [ECOS] Problems initializing eth0 interface
@ 2009-07-13 14:40 Bruno Ricci
From: Bruno Ricci @ 2009-07-13 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I'm trying to build eCos to be run on VirtualBox, which has an AMD PCNET
network card. I made an i386 target with i82559 and the "net" package,
and I removed:

-CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559
-CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82559

and added the package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_AMD_PCNET to adapt this
configuration with VirtualBox environment. I tried to run several tests
(i.e. ping, ...) but I found out that the variable
CYGHWR_NET_DRIVER_ETH0 is never initialized.

Any suggestion (even for another ethernet card like Broadcom BCM5906M,
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, Intel PRO/1000 T SERVER or INTEL PRO/1000 MT
SERVER)?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

* Re: [ECOS] Problems initializing eth0 interface
@ 2009-07-14  7:13 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2009-07-14  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Ricci; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 04:40:34PM +0200, Bruno Ricci wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build eCos to be run on VirtualBox, which has an AMD
> PCNET network card. I made an i386 target with i82559 and the "net"
> package, and I removed:
>
> -CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559
> -CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82559
>
> and added the package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_AMD_PCNET to adapt this
> configuration with VirtualBox environment. I tried to run several
> tests (i.e. ping, ...) but I found out that the variable
> CYGHWR_NET_DRIVER_ETH0 is never initialized.

Ethernet drivers generally come in two parts. There is a generic
chipset part, which can be used for all platforms and there is a
platform specific part, which ties the generic part to the specific
hardware target. That is why you had to remove two I82559
packages. You would similarly need to add two PCNET packages to make
that work. Unfortunately, it looks like nobody has made the PCNET
driver work in a PC target:

packages/devs/eth/i386/pc$ ls -l
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 2 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 CVS/
drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 i82544/
drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 i82559/
drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 lancepci/
drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 rltk8139/

> Any suggestion (even for another ethernet card like Broadcom
> BCM5906M, Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, Intel PRO/1000 T SERVER or
> INTEL PRO/1000 MT SERVER)?

See the above list.

    Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Problems initializing eth0 interface
@ 2009-07-14  7:55   ` Bruno Ricci
From: Bruno Ricci @ 2009-07-14  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Ricci, ecos-discuss

Hi again,

I tried the same configuration with RTL8139 chip and without removing
any package (I managed to have a pc with that chip) with no luck. Here
some screenshots:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos1.jpg
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos2.jpg

Notice that my program only initializes the network card, and that
there's a 20 sec sleep between the two screenshots. I tried to set a
static IP, but I keep on having that SIOCIFADDR error.

Thanks again for support

Bruno

@ 2009-07-15  9:59     ` Bruno Ricci
From: Bruno Ricci @ 2009-07-15  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Ricci, ecos-discuss

Anyone? Thanks! :)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Bruno Ricci<amraam83@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I tried the same configuration with RTL8139 chip and without removing
> any package (I managed to have a pc with that chip) with no luck. Here
> some screenshots:
>
> http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos1.jpg
> http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos2.jpg
>
> Notice that my program only initializes the network card, and that
> there's a 20 sec sleep between the two screenshots. I tried to set a
> static IP, but I keep on having that SIOCIFADDR error.
>
> Thanks again for support
>
> Bruno
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 04:40:34PM +0200, Bruno Ricci wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to build eCos to be run on VirtualBox, which has an AMD
>> > PCNET network card. I made an i386 target with i82559 and the "net"
>> > package, and I removed:
>> >
>> > -CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559
>> > -CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82559
>> >
>> > and added the package CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_AMD_PCNET to adapt this
>> > configuration with VirtualBox environment. I tried to run several
>> > tests (i.e. ping, ...) but I found out that the variable
>> > CYGHWR_NET_DRIVER_ETH0 is never initialized.
>>
>> Ethernet drivers generally come in two parts. There is a generic
>> chipset part, which can be used for all platforms and there is a
>> platform specific part, which ties the generic part to the specific
>> hardware target. That is why you had to remove two I82559
>> packages. You would similarly need to add two PCNET packages to make
>> that work. Unfortunately, it looks like nobody has made the PCNET
>> driver work in a PC target:
>>
>> packages/devs/eth/i386/pc$ ls -l
>> total 20
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 CVS/
>> drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 i82544/
>> drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 i82559/
>> drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 lancepci/
>> drwxr-xr-x 4 lunn lunn 4096 May 17  2007 rltk8139/
>>
>> > Any suggestion (even for another ethernet card like Broadcom
>> > BCM5906M, Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, Intel PRO/1000 T SERVER or
>> > INTEL PRO/1000 MT SERVER)?
>>
>> See the above list.
>>
>>    Andrew

* [ECOS]  Re: Problems initializing eth0 interface
@ 2009-07-15 10:27     ` Tarmo Kuuse
From: Tarmo Kuuse @ 2009-07-15 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Bruno Ricci wrote:
> I tried the same configuration with RTL8139 chip and without removing
> any package (I managed to have a pc with that chip) with no luck. Here
> some screenshots:
>
> http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos1.jpg
> http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos2.jpg
>
> Notice that my program only initializes the network card, and that
> there's a 20 sec sleep between the two screenshots. I tried to set a
> static IP, but I keep on having that SIOCIFADDR error.

The second screenshot shows your hardware address to be
FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. This is the Ethernet broadcast address and it's not a
good idea to use it as your MAC.

Try setting a valid MAC address. The first byte should be 0x00 and the
others you are free to choose. Eg 00:ab:cd:ef:01:23 would be reasonaby
safe. Make sure the address doesn't conflict with anything else in your
network.

If you have RedBoot, change the MAC address using fconfig. If not, then
the MAC address can be hardcoded via eCos configuration tool (look under
"I/O sub-system", "Common ethernet support", "Your ethernet driver").

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse

* Re: [ECOS]  Re: Problems initializing eth0 interface
@ 2009-07-15 10:40       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2009-07-15 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarmo Kuuse; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Try setting a valid MAC address. The first byte should be 0x00 and
> the others you are free to choose. Eg 00:ab:cd:ef:01:23 would be
> reasonaby safe. Make sure the address doesn't conflict with anything
> else in your network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

If you are making up your own address, you should set bit 1 of the top
byte, to indicate this is a locally administered address.

@ 2009-07-15 10:51       ` John Dallaway
       [not found]         ` <8727e5730907150442m31cb69f2r96b517e5a6ecfe8b@mail.gmail.com>
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-07-15 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Ricci; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Bruno

Bruno Ricci wrote:

> I tried the same configuration with RTL8139 chip and without removing
> any package (I managed to have a pc with that chip) with no luck. Here
> some screenshots:
>
> http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos1.jpg
> http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1493094/ecos2.jpg
>
> Notice that my program only initializes the network card, and that
> there's a 20 sec sleep between the two screenshots. I tried to set a
> static IP, but I keep on having that SIOCIFADDR error.

I assume you have switched to the eCos "pc_rltk8139" target.

The reported hardware address (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) is bogus which
suggests that eCos is failing to interrogate your ethernet hardware
correctly. Try disabling the ethernet hardware in your PC's BIOS and see
if the behaviour is the same. If it is, perhaps your ethernet hardware
is reporting a PCI vendorID/deviceID pair which is not known to the eCos
driver? Check the known_8139_aliases[] array in the driver and extend it
if necessary.

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway

* [ECOS] Re: Problems initializing eth0 interface
@ 2009-07-15 12:36         ` Bruno Ricci
       [not found]         ` <8727e5730907150442m31cb69f2r96b517e5a6ecfe8b@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bruno Ricci @ 2009-07-15 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Thank you John, that worked like a charm :)

Thanks everyone

@ 2009-07-15 14:13           ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-07-15 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Ricci; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Hi Bruno

Bruno Ricci wrote:

> Thank you John, that worked like a charm :)
>
> Thanks everyone

Good to hear this resolved the problem you were seeing.

What was the PCI VendorID/DeviceID for your RTL8139 ethernet hardware?

John Dallaway

@ 2009-07-15 14:16             ` Bruno Ricci
From: Bruno Ricci @ 2009-07-15 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Discussion