* [ECOS] What's the cheapest develpment h/w for eCos?
@ 2009-09-27 14:33 graham_k
From: graham_k @ 2009-09-27 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I'm on a tight budget. I don't have any projects in mind, I just want to do
some "tyre kicking" with eCos.

Can anyone recommend a really inexpensive kit and maybe even tell me where
to order it?

Thanks

* [ECOS]  Re: What's the cheapest develpment h/w for eCos?
@ 2009-09-27 15:54 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-09-27 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2009-09-27, graham_k <nabble@keellings.com> wrote:

> I'm on a tight budget. I don't have any projects in mind, I
> just want to do some "tyre kicking" with eCos.
>
> Can anyone recommend a really inexpensive kit and maybe even
> tell me where to order it?

You can run eCos on generic PC hardware, so any of the free
IA32 VMs will work.  I've run it on Qemu without any problems.
There's also a synthetic Linux target that doesn't cost
anything.

As for cheap hardware, I'd probably look at the ARM development
boards from olimex.com or similar.  IIRC there are eCos ports
to some of the Cirrus, Philips, and Atmel parts on those
boards.

--
Grant

* Re: [ECOS] What's the cheapest develpment h/w for eCos?
@ 2009-09-28  4:40   ` graham_k
From: graham_k @ 2009-09-28  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Thanks for the great info, Grant. I am sure that it will also be of help to
others.

Grant Edwards-6 wrote:

> On 2009-09-27, graham_k <nabble@keellings.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm on a tight budget. I don't have any projects in mind, I
>> just want to do some "tyre kicking" with eCos.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a really inexpensive kit and maybe even
>> tell me where to order it?
>
> You can run eCos on generic PC hardware, so any of the free
> IA32 VMs will work.  I've run it on Qemu without any problems.
> There's also a synthetic Linux target that doesn't cost
> anything.
>
> As for cheap hardware, I'd probably look at the ARM development
> boards from olimex.com or similar.  IIRC there are eCos ports
> to some of the Cirrus, Philips, and Atmel parts on those
> boards.
>
> --
> Grant
>

> --

* Re: [ECOS]  Re: What's the cheapest develpment h/w for eCos?
@ 2009-09-30  4:11   ` Waskita Adijarto
From: Waskita Adijarto @ 2009-09-30  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-09-27, graham_k <nabble@keellings.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm on a tight budget. I don't have any projects in mind, I
>> just want to do some "tyre kicking" with eCos.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a really inexpensive kit and maybe even
>> tell me where to order it?
>>

> You can run eCos on generic PC hardware, so any of the free
> IA32 VMs will work.  I've run it on Qemu without any problems.
> There's also a synthetic Linux target that doesn't cost
> anything.
>
> As for cheap hardware, I'd probably look at the ARM development
> boards from olimex.com or similar.  IIRC there are eCos ports
> to some of the Cirrus, Philips, and Atmel parts on those
> boards.

A while ago I checked price of ARM-based board in
http://ecos.sourceware.org/hardware.html.  Most ARM-based board in that
list is already obsolete.
The cheapest ARM-based board I could  find  is Atmel AT91SAM7S
<http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=605#1586> ,
around USD 100 in digikey.

Olimex boards are not on that list some are eCos compatible:  -
http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h2294.html  "Native hardware support by
eCOS the anonymous eCos CVS tree has this target inside 'olpch2294' eCos
target", priced at EUR 70.95

Those boards have no ethernet ports.

Hope it helps,

-w-

* [ECOS]  Re: What's the cheapest develpment h/w for eCos?
@ 2009-09-30  4:21     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2009-09-30  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On 2009-09-30, Waskita Adijarto <waszbulk@hq.ee.itb.ac.id> wrote:

>> As for cheap hardware, I'd probably look at the ARM
>> development boards from olimex.com or similar.  IIRC there are
>> eCos ports to some of the Cirrus, Philips, and Atmel parts on
>> those boards.
>
> A while ago I checked price of ARM-based board in
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/hardware.html.  Most ARM-based
> board in that list is already obsolete.

Those boards are all ancient, hard-to-find, and expensive if
you can find them.

eCosPro supports many newer boards, but it's not free.

> The cheapest ARM-based board I could find is Atmel AT91SAM7S
> <http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=605#1586>,
> around USD 100 in digikey.
>
> Olimex boards are not on that list some are eCos compatible: -
> http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h2294.html "Native hardware
> support by eCOS the anonymous eCos CVS tree has this target
> inside 'olpch2294' eCos target", priced at EUR 70.95
>
> Those boards have no ethernet ports.

I think support for some of Atmel's ARM parts (AT91SAM926x) has
been recently committed, but I have no experience with eCos on
those parts.

Digging a old PC out of the back of the closet is another
option.  Boot RedBoot off a CD or floppy and then load program
images from a TFTP server.

--
Grant