* RE: [ECOS] PPP?
@ 2000-09-12  4:22 Andreas.Karlsson
From: Andreas.Karlsson @ 2000-09-12  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew.lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss, aeb

> Have a look back in the eCos email archive. Someone else asked about

> PPP a couple of months ago and I pointed them at the Opens

> sources. I don't know what progress has been made.

> You may find its more work taking out TCP etc, than leaving it there

> and not use it.

You mean download the latest OpenBSD from www.openbsd.org and use their
UDP/IP?

> Out of interest could you tell us more about your Bluetooth stack. I

> don't think i've seen it mentioned on eCos before. Is it an OpenSource

> one?

>         Thanks

>                 Andrew

Yes, it is distributed under GPL. You can find it at
http://www.developer.axis.com/software/bluetooth/index.shtml

* Re: [ECOS] PPP?
@ 2000-09-12  4:49 ` Robert Swindells
From: Robert Swindells @ 2000-09-12  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas.Karlsson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>> You may find its more work taking out TCP etc, than leaving it there
>> and not use it.

>You mean download the latest OpenBSD from www.openbsd.org and use
>their UDP/IP?

The network stack in eCos is derived from OpenBSD.

Pick up the versions of if_ppp.c, if_ppp.h and if_pppvar.h from
OpenBSD that are tagged with 'kame_19991208'.

You will need to modify the upper interface of if_ppp.c to match the
other eCos protocols (if_loop.c is probably a good example), then
modify the lower interface to talk to your RFCOMM interface instead of
a ttysw interface.

Robert Swindells

* RE: [ECOS] PPP?
@ 2000-09-13  7:34 Andreas.Karlsson
From: Andreas.Karlsson @ 2000-09-13  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rjs; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks for your answer,

The .h files are already included in the eCos net-package so I think I will
use them.

When reading the PPP-RFC the Link Control Protocol (LCP) seems to be a big
part of the concept. But maybe I can leave it out anyway?

When browsing the ppp files I also found a "deamon" named pppd. Anybody out
there who has any suggestions on including pppd, lcp,ncp etc?

/Andreas

> The network stack in eCos is derived from OpenBSD.

> Pick up the versions of if_ppp.c, if_ppp.h and if_pppvar.h from

> OpenBSD that are tagged with 'kame_19991208'.

> You will need to modify the upper interface of if_ppp.c to match the

> other eCos protocols (if_loop.c is probably a good example), then

> modify the lower interface to talk to your RFCOMM interface instead of

> a ttysw interface.

> Robert Swindells

* RE: [ECOS] PPP?
@ 2000-09-13  2:14 Amigo Lozano, Alfonso
From: Amigo Lozano, Alfonso @ 2000-09-13  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas.Karlsson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello:

> I don't think I need all the features shipped with the stack just UDP/IP.

I've found recently some information that may help you. Visit the on-line
magazine Embedded Systems Programming (www.embedded.com).  Under Internet
Appliance Design get into Internet Appliance Archives. There you will find
some interesting articles related to networking with embedded systems. Read
"TCP/IP or not TCP/IP?" (April, 2000) by Michael Barr. He had planned to
develop an embeddable UDP/IP stack through a series of articles (code will
be available also).

Alfonso Amigo

* Re: [ECOS] PPP?
@ 2000-09-12  3:51 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-09-12  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas.Karlsson; +Cc: ecos-discuss, aeb

> I'm a student working on the LAN Access Profile as specified by the
> Bluetooth specification on my AEB-board.

> According to my understanding there is no PPP included in eCos yet, so my
> question is:
>
> Where to get it and if someone got any hints on where to start the porting?

Have a look back in the eCos email archive. Someone else asked about
PPP a couple of months ago and i pointed them at the OpenBSD
sources. I don't know what progress has been made.

> I don't think I need all the features shipped with the stack just UDP/IP.

You may find its more work taking out TCP etc, than leaving it there
and not use it.

Out of interest could you tell us more about your Bluetooth stack. I
don't think i've seen it mentioned on eCos before. Is it an OpenSource
one?

        Thanks
                Andrew

* [ECOS] PPP?
@ 2000-09-12  3:43 Andreas.Karlsson
From: Andreas.Karlsson @ 2000-09-12  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss, aeb

Hi,

I'm a student working on the LAN Access Profile as specified by the
Bluetooth specification on my AEB-board.

Now when Bluetooth is up and running I need to add PPP on top of that, then
UDP/IP.

Bluetooth simulates a serial cable so I hope there shouldn't be that much to
change.

According to my understanding there is no PPP included in eCos yet, so my
question is:

Where to get it and if someone got any hints on where to start the porting?

I was thinking of using the TCP/IP stack included in eCos over PPP.

I don't think I need all the features shipped with the stack just UDP/IP.

Someone got any hints on what files I need and how to get the stack running
over PPP?

Any help would be appreciated,

Andreas