* [ECOS] eCos 3.0 and newlib in ARM toolchain
@ 2009-05-11 15:36 Marcos Del Puerto
From: Marcos Del Puerto @ 2009-05-11 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi everybody,

I have been checking the ecos pre-built toolchain for ARM kindly
contributed by ecoscentric
(ecoscentric-gnutools-arm-eabi-20081213-sw.cygwin.tar.bz2) to use it
with eCos 3.0 and I have realized there is no newlib.h file anymore.
In fact the only reference to newlib I could found was --with-newlib
in the arm-eabi\bin\arm-eabi-gccbug file (and a couple or headers
which begin with "// Specific definitions for newlib  -*- C++ -*-").

Previous arm toolchain
(ecoscentric-gnutools-arm-elf-1.4-2.cygwin.tar.bz2) contained newlib
1.11.0 and all the respective headers. The latest EABI/ARM toolchain
provided by CodeSourcery also contains those files and newlib 1.16.0.

Does it means newlib has been dropped from the recommended toolchain?
Does it means that if I want to use newlib I will have to assemble and
compile my own toolset? Which are the advantages of using glibc for
embedded development when not using Linux?

Thank you in advance,
Marcos Del Puerto

* Re: [ECOS] eCos 3.0 and newlib in ARM toolchain
@ 2009-05-11 15:43 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2009-05-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcos Del Puerto; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Does it means newlib has been dropped from the recommended toolchain?
> Does it means that if I want to use newlib I will have to assemble and
> compile my own toolset? Which are the advantages of using glibc for
> embedded development when not using Linux?

newlib was never used by eCos. It was only used to build the
toolchain.

eCos has its own libc, which is not newlib and is not glibc. The eCos
libc is smaller than newlib and glibc, making it more suitable for
deeply embedded systems.

       Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] eCos 3.0 and newlib in ARM toolchain
@ 2009-05-11 16:07   ` Marcos Del Puerto
From: Marcos Del Puerto @ 2009-05-11 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcos Del Puerto, ecos-discuss

Thank you very much for your quick answer