From: Anthony Massa <amassa@logici.com>
To: 'Jonathan Larmour' <jlarmour@redhat.com>
Cc: "eCos (E-mail)" <ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: [ECOS] Re: RedBoot
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

>> >application

>> >was wondering if
>> >
>> >Only if you don't have a DHCP server on your net and you're
>> >trying to use
>> >the ethernet driver for other purposes than the TCP/IP stack.
>>
>> I have a DHCP server on my net.  However, my confusion comes
>with the fact
>> that I have RedBoot coming up using BOOTP, which I have a
>server for as
>> well.  So, RedBoot gets its IP address.  Is this address
>then passed onto
>> the application, or is the application layer supposed to get
>its own, new
>> address?
>>
>> I'm a little confused about how the RedBoot and eCos app
>layer stack coexist
>> on my target.  I am using the RedBoot Ethernet for debugging the
>> application.
>
>They each get their own addresses. Or one can be static and the other
>dynamic, or whatever you want. Think of them as completely separate.

Is there a message that is output when the DHCP client gets its address?

If so, my hang problem is occurring before the address is received by the
application.  It's odd that it outputs the debug string over the serial port
when the whole time it has been using the Remote/TCP connection for
debugging.

When I don't set breakpoints the same thing happens.

>Also try enabling remote protocol debugging in GDB using "set remotedebug
>1" (or in newer versions, "set debug remote 1").

Doesn't this get set when I use Insight, hit Run and a dialog comes up and I
set Remote/TCP with the IP address and port?  Do you mean to explicitly do
this after I open the application using the console?

--Anthony