From: Allan Young <AYoung@YottaYotta.com>
To: ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: RE: [ECOS] gdb 'next' problem with i386 HAL
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:20:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I've been playing around with a recent (via anonymous cvs, grabbed around
August 10th) version of eCos and I've also observed the i386 gdb "next that
continues" problem too.  This is repeatable with the redboot floppy I've
built from sources as well as one created with the pre-built redboot binary
available at the redhat/ecos site.

Like Boris I'm also using gdb version 5.0 but I'm running on RedHat 7.1.
Also, the problem is repeatable when gdb is connected by serial port or
ethernet.

For what it's worth I get proper 'gdb next' behavior with the same
gcc/gdb/binutil tool chain with an ancient, pre-redboot, 1.3.1 version of
eCos.

> Perhaps it might behave better if the debugged app was built with no
> optimization. Other than that, you'll need to investigate further
> (e.g. by using "set debug remote 1" and seeing where GDB sets its
> "next" breakpoint and see if that's valid).

It will take me a while to decode the gdb packet information from my 'gdb
next' test with debug remote set to 1.  Unfortunately, I won't have time to
look at this for at least a few days...