* [ECOS] jffs2 filesystem with redboot
@ 2008-07-24 15:22 Tiju Jacob
From: Tiju Jacob @ 2008-07-24 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I have a freescale based development board. I am trying to boot from
nand using redboot. My queries are:

1. How would I enable the nand flash in redboot?
2. How to integrate jffs2 filesystem with redboot?
3. If integrated will I be able to write, read, erase files in the nand flash?
4. How could I enable the support for these functionalities?

Please also give me links to where I would be able to get more
information regarding this.

Thanks in advance.

TJ

* Re: [ECOS] jffs2 filesystem with redboot
@ 2008-07-24 15:26 ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]   ` <2b49c3100807241004j530b4243n88233f11606993a3@mail.gmail.com>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-07-24 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiju Jacob; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Tiju Jacob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a freescale based development board. I am trying to boot from
> nand using redboot. My queries are:
>
> 1. How would I enable the nand flash in redboot?
> 2. How to integrate jffs2 filesystem with redboot?
> 3. If integrated will I be able to write, read, erase files in the nand flash?
> 4. How could I enable the support for these functionalities?

What kind of Freescale development board is it?
Where did you get the RedBoot/eCos sources (if not from the public CVS tree)?

@ 2008-07-24 17:11     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-07-24 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiju Jacob; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Tiju Jacob wrote:
> It is a mx27 ADS based board. The redboot/eCos sources were given by Freescale.

Please keep replies on the eCos list so that all may benefit.

AFAIK, that port only supports the NOR FLASH on the board.  If you want
to add NAND, you'll need to write the drivers, etc, yourself.  There
has been much discussion on this topic of late; check the archives.

@ 2008-07-24 17:39       ` Tiju Jacob
From: Tiju Jacob @ 2008-07-24 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Hi Gary,

After redboot boots thriugh nor, i think we can change the boot to
nand and restart/boot through nand. rit?
Could u please forward me the archives where these were discussed? I
tried searching but cud'nt find any.

Thanks,
TJ

@ 2008-07-24 22:25         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-07-24 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiju Jacob; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Tiju Jacob wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> After redboot boots thriugh nor, i think we can change the boot to
> nand and restart/boot through nand. rit?
> Could u please forward me the archives where these were discussed? I
> tried searching but cud'nt find any.

As I said, the port you have knows nothing about NAND FLASH - you'll
have to add that support (not just "flick a switch")

The discussions were about NAND+JFFS2 in general - AFAIK, there's never
been any discussion on this list about the mx27 DragonBall boards, on
any topic.

@ 2008-07-27 15:42           ` Tiju Jacob
From: Tiju Jacob @ 2008-07-27 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Hi Gary,

>> After redboot boots thriugh nor, i think we can change the boot to
>> nand and restart/boot through nand. rit?
>> Could u please forward me the archives where these were discussed? I
>> tried searching but cud'nt find any.
>
> As I said, the port you have knows nothing about NAND FLASH - you'll
> have to add that support (not just "flick a switch")
>
> The discussions were about NAND+JFFS2 in general - AFAIK, there's never
> been any discussion on this list about the mx27 DragonBall boards, on
> any topic.

>>> Please keep replies on the eCos list so that all may benefit.
>>>
>>> AFAIK, that port only supports the NOR FLASH on the board.  If you want
>>> to add NAND, you'll need to write the drivers, etc, yourself.  There
>>> has been much discussion on this topic of late; check the archives.

I am interested in going ahead with writing the drivers for the NAND
flash for redboot. From where do I start and how do I go about it?
Please give me more information on this.

My aim is to boot through the NAND flash in the iMX27 ADS board and
port the jffs2 filesystem in the redboot.

Thanks in advance.

TJ