* RE: [ECOS] tool build
@ 2000-04-05 13:12 Paul Kinzelman
From: Paul Kinzelman @ 2000-04-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Yes, that was the problem. Sorry for the desperate entreaty. :-)
I get kind of desperate when something hugely complicated quits.

I had make the tools area be someplace other than '/tools'
and evidently either messed up, or something doesn't work about
moving the tools area. I looked and that file *is* on my
tools area.

I think I can fix it now.
Thanks so much!
-PaulK

From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-04-06  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Kinzelman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Paul Kinzelman wrote:

> Yes, that was the problem. Sorry for the desperate entreaty. :-)
> I get kind of desperate when something hugely complicated quits.
>
> I had make the tools area be someplace other than '/tools'
> and evidently either messed up, or something doesn't work about
> moving the tools area. I looked and that file *is* on my
> tools area.

Well, there's a bit of extra magic required if your binutils exec-prefix is
not the same as your gcc exec-prefix. Instead of using "--with-gnu-as
--with-gnu-ld" when configuring gcc, you should instead use
"--with-as=/PATH/TO/arm-elf-as --with-ld=/PATH/TO/arm-elf-ld" filling in
the blanks as appropriate :-).

To try and simplify the build instructions we didn't mention this. Perhaps
we should?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] tool build
@ 2000-04-10  0:16   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-04-10  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: PaulK, ecos-discuss

> > I tried it on another system (2.2.12-20 and same version egcs).
> >  I get the above error sometimes, and I've also seen:
> >     gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> > and then the make aborts.
> >
> > I could believe the second error could be bad hardware,
>
> Yup. It is.

I've also seen this with Linux's NFS client talking to a Solaris NFS
server. Solaris NFSv2 is broken. We upgraded our linux box's to NFSv3
as a workaround.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] tool build
@ 2000-04-05 13:33 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-04-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Kinzelman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 12:07:10PM -0700, Paul Kinzelman wrote:

> I've been trying to build the gcc cross-compiler. I very carefully tried to
> follow the instructions on
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/tools/linux-arm-elf.html
>
> On one system (2.2.5-15 kernel, egcs-2.91.66), I get a bunch of:
> _udivsi3
> /bin/sh: arm-elf-ar: command not found
[...]

Do you have an arm-elf-ar binary in your PATH?

> I tried it on another system (2.2.12-20 and same version egcs).
>  I get the above error sometimes, and I've also seen:
>     gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> and then the make aborts.
>
> I could believe the second error could be bad hardware,

Yup. It is.

> but the first error sounds like something is not configured/defined right.

You need to have the arm-elf binutils installed before you can build the
compiler.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] tool build
@ 2000-04-05 12:15 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-04-05 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Kinzelman; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Paul Kinzelman wrote:

> I've been having major problems even trying to build the tool set to
> look at eCos, any help would be desperately appreciated.
>
> I've been trying to build the gcc cross-compiler. I very carefully
> tried to follow the instructions on
> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/tools/linux-arm-elf.html
>
> On one system (2.2.5-15 kernel, egcs-2.91.66), I get a bunch of:
> _udivsi3
> /bin/sh: arm-elf-ar: command not found
> _divsi3
> /bin/sh: arm-elf-ar: command not found
> _umodsi3
> /bin/sh: arm-elf-ar: command not found
> and then the make aborts.

And does arm-elf-ar definitely exist in your tools install directory? By
any chance, is the --prefix/--exec-prefix you used when configuring
binutils different from the --prefix/--exec-prefix you used for gcc?

Jifl

* [ECOS] tool build
@ 2000-04-05 12:07 Paul Kinzelman
From: Paul Kinzelman @ 2000-04-05 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I've been having major problems even trying to build the tool set to
look at eCos, any help would be desperately appreciated.

I've been trying to build the gcc cross-compiler. I very carefully
tried to follow the instructions on
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/tools/linux-arm-elf.html

On one system (2.2.5-15 kernel, egcs-2.91.66), I get a bunch of:
_udivsi3
/bin/sh: arm-elf-ar: command not found
_divsi3
/bin/sh: arm-elf-ar: command not found
_umodsi3
/bin/sh: arm-elf-ar: command not found
and then the make aborts.

I tried it on another system (2.2.12-20 and same version egcs).
 I get the above error sometimes, and I've also seen:
    gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
and then the make aborts.

I could believe the second error could be bad hardware, but
the first error sounds like something is not configured/defined
right.

Help!
-Paul Kinzelman