* [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-05  8:10 jens.ohlund
From: jens.ohlund @ 2000-07-05  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi !

Just for the curiosity, when I build the gcc and insight, am I to apply the patches as well
IF i have the latest snapshots of the gcc and insight ?

yours
Jens

* Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-05 10:52 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-07-05 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jens.ohlund; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Jens> Just for the curiosity, when I build the gcc and insight, am
    Jens> I to apply the patches as well IF i have the latest
    Jens> snapshots of the gcc and insight ?

Unfortunately keeping track of the latest snapshots of gcc, binutils,
and gdb would require a lot of effort. Hence the eCos team prefers to
concentrate on the latest official releases of these tools when
possible - that leaves more time for actually working on eCos.

If the patch program detects that a particular patch has already been
applied to the master sources and is now redundant then it will tell
you via a message like:

  Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

Respond with 'n', you do not want to reverse the patch.

If instead the patch still applies cleanly then it is probably still
necessary for the current snapshot. No guarantees though, the problem
may have been fixed by other changes, or the patch may be incompatible
with recent work on the tool.

If the patch does not apply cleanly then I am afraid you are on your
own. A modified patch may have been applied, or the code may have been
changed because of a different problem. You would have to look at
ChangeLog's etc. to find out what has happened.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer

* Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-12 16:59   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-07-12 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: jens.ohlund, ecos-discuss

Bart Veer wrote:

>     Jens> Just for the curiosity, when I build the gcc and insight, am
>     Jens> I to apply the patches as well IF i have the latest
>     Jens> snapshots of the gcc and insight ?
>
> Unfortunately keeping track of the latest snapshots of gcc, binutils,
> and gdb would require a lot of effort. Hence the eCos team prefers to
> concentrate on the latest official releases of these tools when
> possible - that leaves more time for actually working on eCos.

I should point out here that in the cases where we say to apply some
patches, you should apply them. Not all the patches that are to be applied
are going to be submitted for inclusion in the main sources. Right now,
there are no patches waiting to be checked into the main gcc/binutils/gdb
repositories that _should_ be checked in.

We try to track the snapshots if we can, and try to adjust the patches if
they break. But we would like to know if they do break, obviously! We can't
track the repositories every time someone checks something in. Letting us
know is the responsibility of the entire eCos community :-).

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-13  8:00 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-07-13  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jens.ohlund; +Cc: ecos-discuss

jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Well , i just followed the links from the eCos page.
>
> Lets see now...
> gcc:
> ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/index.html
>
> insight:
> ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/
> It got snapshots both for gcb and insight.

You shouldn't use snapshots unless you need to. Just follow the
instructions on the web page and it will tell you what to use, and what
patches to apply. Only deviate from that if you know what you are doing!

Snapshots are less stable than the stable released versions. In other
words, where possible, use binutils 2.10, gcc 2.95.2 and gdb/insight 5.0.
But the instructions will tell you this.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-13  3:52 jens.ohlund
From: jens.ohlund @ 2000-07-13  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi !

Well , i just followed the links from the eCos page.

Lets see now...
gcc:
ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/index.html

insight:
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/
It got snapshots both for gcb and insight.

About the patches failing, I don't think you can apply those pacthes since they are for a specific
version and not for the snapshots. And I don't know if the pacthes have to be applied to the
snapshots in question or if it's "fixed". Have NO clue what so ever.

I just tried to build the egcs (core + g++) from 0710 and it failed. Internal error.
I'll think I just wait and stay happy with the "offical" files given from the eCos page.

yours
Jens

@ 2000-07-13  3:08 danish iftikhar
From: danish iftikhar @ 2000-07-13  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jens.ohlund; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi !

i have problem while downloading insight snapshots. it asks for some passwords. can i know from where had u downloaded those insight snapshots. i had earlier downloaded gdb+dejagnu20000503...but now the build is failing as well as i am unable to apply patches on it..it says 11 out of 11 hunks failed...
will the problem solve after downloading insight.

danish.

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:14:52
 jens.ohlund wrote:

>Hi !
>
>that one I can answer on at once :)
>
>It didn't work very well. I don't have the results (I tried last week) just didn't manage to make some patches and
>some it recognised as already done. this applies to both the ecos-gcc and the insight patch.
>
>If i got some time over a night or two I'll try again and give you the exact results. That is, IF you want them.
>
>yours
>Jens
>

>ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com
>2000-07-13 08:00
>

>To:   jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se
>cc:   ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
>Subject:  Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
>
>Security Level:?         Internal
>

>jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se wrote:
>>
>> Hi !
>>
>> Lets see if I understood you right :)
>>
>> For time beeing I DON'T have to patch the latest gcc/insight snapshots, just build them and go ?
>
>Not really :-). In summary, if the installation instructions tell you to
>apply some patches, apply them. If you have problems applying them, come
>back here and tell us.
>
>Jifl
>--
>Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
>"Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."  ||  These opinions are all my own fault

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct

* Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-12 23:38 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-07-12 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jens.ohlund; +Cc: ecos-discuss

jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Hummm. I just followed the instructions on the eCos homepage.
>
> Binutils, the latest 2.10 release. Unpack and build, no probs.
> egcs, I just picked a daily build. Can't remember which one. Anyone is of interest.
> Same goes about Insight.
>
> I applied the patches from the homepage, ecos-gcc.2.95.2.pat and insight-5.0.pat.
> It whined when I applied the pacthes.

Ahhh... you are using snapshots for a target where we haven't recommended
snapshots. I assumed it was one of the targets we do. Okay, that's
different - the patches are for the releases given in their name (not very
surprisingly), not for the snapshots.

For the specific case of the arm-elf target you don't need any gcc or gdb
patches. You've got the answer you wanted - sorry it took so long :-).

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-12 23:29 jens.ohlund
From: jens.ohlund @ 2000-07-12 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi !

Hummm. I just followed the instructions on the eCos homepage.

Binutils, the latest 2.10 release. Unpack and build, no probs.
egcs, I just picked a daily build. Can't remember which one. Anyone is of interest.
Same goes about Insight.

I applied the patches from the homepage, ecos-gcc.2.95.2.pat and insight-5.0.pat.
It whined when I applied the pacthes.
Neither of the egcs or insight completed the build (not very strange consideringthe above statement).
Config went through though.

Actually I'm just interested in a new version of Insight, since the inital release is a bit buggy/unstable
every now and then. AND it doesn't keep it's settings.

I building it for a ARM evaluation board, AEB-1, revision B.

yours
Jens

ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com
2000-07-13 08:19

To:   jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se
cc:   ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject:  Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots

Security Level:?         Internal

jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se wrote:

> It didn't work very well. I don't have the results (I tried last week) just didn't manage to make some patches and
> some it recognised as already done. this applies to both the ecos-gcc and the insight patch.
>
> If i got some time over a night or two I'll try again and give you the exact results. That is, IF you want them.

Perhaps it would be quicker for you if you just let me know:

- your host and target
- exactly which patches you are using
- exactly what source versions you are using (if any of them are snapshots,
then from about when)

I may be able to give you a quick answer or quick fix.

Thanks,

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] GCC and INSIGHT, snapshots
@ 2000-07-12 23:19 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-07-12 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jens.ohlund; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2000-07-12 23:15 jens.ohlund
From: jens.ohlund @ 2000-07-12 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

To:   jens.ohlund@secrc.abb.se

@ 2000-07-12 23:00 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-07-12 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jens.ohlund; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2000-07-12 22:57 jens.ohlund
From: jens.ohlund @ 2000-07-12 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi !

Lets see if I understood you right :)

For time beeing I DON'T have to patch the latest gcc/insight snapshots, just build them and go ?

yours
Jens

ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com
2000-07-13 01:59