* [ECOS] make a program run at powerup on CL_PS7111 board with eCos
@ 2000-08-21 23:05 Vu Dang
From: Vu Dang @ 2000-08-21 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi there,

I have a few question related to eCos:

1) How could I change CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_EDBXXX_VARIANT from the EP7211 to the
CL_PS&111 using eCos configuration tool? I couldn't find the "cirrus Logic
processor variant" option.

2) After I finish with configuring eCos, if I download, for example,
gdb_module.bin onto the Flash,

  a) what are the differences compared to the case the target board have a
prebuilt gbd stub (which comes with eCos) on it?

  b) does it mean that I have a full eCos on my development board (an OS)?

3) If I want to have a program (my application) run automatically when the
CL_PS7111 is turn on,

  a) does it mean that I have to build the application and then link it
with eCos?

  b) if it is, what are steps that I should do?

 I'm very appreciated if you can give the answers or suggestions on these
questions.

Vu

* Re: [ECOS] make a program run at powerup on CL_PS7111 board with eCos
@ 2000-08-24  7:58 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-08-24  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vu Dang; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Vu Dang wrote:
> 1) How could I change CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_EDBXXX_VARIANT from the EP7211 to the
> CL_PS&111 using eCos configuration tool? I couldn't find the "cirrus Logic
> processor variant" option.

Assuming you are using at least eCos v1.3.1 it should be under "eCos HAL",
"ARM architecture", "Cirrus Logic Development Board", and then it's there
as "Cirrus Logic processor variant".

Or you could use the Edit->Find menu option.

> 2) After I finish with configuring eCos, if I download, for example,
> gdb_module.bin onto the Flash,
>
>   a) what are the differences compared to the case the target board have a
> prebuilt gbd stub (which comes with eCos) on it?

There's a good chance a preloaded GDB stub has been better tested than one
you build. If you don't have any particular reason to rebuild it, it's
probably best not to. But feel free to do so if you do have a reason.

>   b) does it mean that I have a full eCos on my development board (an OS)?

No, what you program into flash (gdb_module.bin) is just a boot loader and
debugging interface to GDB. eCos itself is only included in the application
you build.

> 3) If I want to have a program (my application) run automatically when the
> CL_PS7111 is turn on,
>
>   a) does it mean that I have to build the application and then link it
> with eCos?

Yes.

>   b) if it is, what are steps that I should do?

Choosing ROM startup for your application (in the Cirrus Logic HAL
configuration options in the configuration tool) is the key thing.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] make a program run at powerup on CL_PS7111 board with
@ 2000-08-24  8:09   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-08-24  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Vu Dang

On 24-Aug-2000 Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>> 3) If I want to have a program (my application) run automatically when the
>> CL_PS7111 is turn on,
>>
>>   a) does it mean that I have to build the application and then link it
>> with eCos?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   b) if it is, what are steps that I should do?
>
> Choosing ROM startup for your application (in the Cirrus Logic HAL
> configuration options in the configuration tool) is the key thing.

Don't forget that this CPU requires a "wakeup" signal (interrupt, button, ??).
When the CPU comes out of reset, it waits for the "wakeup" signal to actually
start it up.  On the Cirrus Logic evaluation boards, this signal comes from
a push-button.  On a PDA, for example, it might come from opening the lid.

eCos is certainly capable of handling "startup from ROM" applications. But
the application designer will have to solve the problem of awakening the CPU.

* Re: [ECOS] make a program run at powerup on CL_PS7111 board with
@ 2000-08-24 17:19     ` Vu Dang
From: Vu Dang @ 2000-08-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

Hi

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 24-Aug-2000 Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> >> 3) If I want to have a program (my application) run automatically when the
> >> CL_PS7111 is turn on,
> >>
> >>   a) does it mean that I have to build the application and then link it
> >> with eCos?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> >>   b) if it is, what are steps that I should do?
> >
> > Choosing ROM startup for your application (in the Cirrus Logic HAL
> > configuration options in the configuration tool) is the key thing.
> >

> Don't forget that this CPU requires a "wakeup" signal (interrupt, button, ??).
> When the CPU comes out of reset, it waits for the "wakeup" signal to actually
> start it up.  On the Cirrus Logic evaluation boards, this signal comes from
> a push-button.  On a PDA, for example, it might come from opening the lid.
>
> eCos is certainly capable of handling "startup from ROM" applications. But
> the application designer will have to solve the problem of awakening the CPU.

How to link my application to eCos is the part that I'm stuck.

1) Does eCos Configuration Tools (ECTs) have some options that I can set
and link my program?

If it does, could you please let me know?
I did set Startup type* to ROM for building a standalone application, but
I don't know how this is linked to my application.

2) Or, is it true that I can't use the ECTs to link eCos with my
application?

   - what are steps for linking an application to eCos?

   - or please refer me some documents that could help me on this. (I read
user's guide, ref, and started guide, but I still has no clue on this)

Thank you.

@ 2000-08-25  4:00       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2000-08-25  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vu Dang; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

Everything needed to build eCos applications is provided.  In the case of
ROM based applications, one simply needs to set the startup type to ROM
and then rebuild.  The application will be compiled with the apprpriate
configuration settings for ROM mode and linked at an appropriate address.
It will be up to you to get it programmed into the ROM.

A good example of ROM based applications are "GDB stubs" for a given board.
E.g. to build these for the EDB7xxx, just:
  % ecosconfig new edb7212 stubs
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make
If you're using the GUI (under Windows), simply select the platform (edb7212)
and the template (stubs) and "build library".

@ 2000-08-25  5:23       ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2000-08-25  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dangvu; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    <snip>

    Vu> How to link my application to eCos is the part that I'm stuck.

    Vu> 1) Does eCos Configuration Tools (ECTs) have some options that
    Vu> I can set and link my program?

    Vu> If it does, could you please let me know? I did set Startup
    Vu> type* to ROM for building a standalone application, but I
    Vu> don't know how this is linked to my application.

    Vu> 2) Or, is it true that I can't use the ECTs to link eCos with
    Vu> my application?

    Vu>    - what are steps for linking an application to eCos?

    Vu>    - or please refer me some documents that could help me on
    Vu> this. (I read user's guide, ref, and started guide, but I
    Vu> still has no clue on this)

The configuration tools do not constitute an IDE. They exist only to
configure and build eCos itself, generating (primarily) a library
libtarget.a which you then need to link with your application. You can
use whatever development environment you want to for building the
application itself.

All this information is in the Getting Started Guide, which is part of
the installation or can be read online at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tutorials/arm/ecos-tutorial.2.html

You probably want to read the whole thing to understand how it all
fits together. Details of how to develop applications are in the
Programming Tutorial part of that guide,
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tutorials/arm/ecos-tutorial.10.html

"The remaining chapters of this document compromise a simple tutorial
for configuring and building eCos, building and running eCos tests,
and finally building three stand-alone example programs which use the
eCos API to perform some simple tasks."

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer