* [ECOS] "too many input files" error from cpp
@ 2000-09-05 10:59 Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-09-05 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I've read the FAQ and the archives of this list. The standard answer
seems to be "you've moved the tools from where you built them. Either
put symlinks to the build directories or build them again". Well, I
haven't moved them from the build directory and I still get this. I am
bullding on Mandrake 7.1, which I believe is basically Redhat 6.2. I've
rebuilt the tools several times on two machine and I still get this
error. I also tried the latest snapshot (8/28 I think it was), and that
didn't even run (it wanted cpp0, which was nowhere to be found).

I have also built the tools on FreeBSD. It works on one machine, but
another on gets the  same error (go figure, same version of FreeBSD).

Does anyone have a real solution, or can someone recommend a workable
snapshot?

Thanks,
Greg Shubin

* Re: [ECOS] "too many input files" error from cpp
@ 2000-09-05 11:38 ` Jonathan Larmour
       [not found]   ` <39B5BACF.95AAE4F5@wco.com>
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-09-05 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Shubin; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Greg Shubin wrote:

> I've read the FAQ and the archives of this list. The standard answer
> seems to be "you've moved the tools from where you built them. Either
> put symlinks to the build directories or build them again". Well, I
> haven't moved them from the build directory and I still get this. I am
> bullding on Mandrake 7.1, which I believe is basically Redhat 6.2. I've
> rebuilt the tools several times on two machine and I still get this
> error. I also tried the latest snapshot (8/28 I think it was), and that
> didn't even run (it wanted cpp0, which was nowhere to be found).

Out of interest, do you have the tools at the head of your path? If you do
`which cpp` what does it give you? Have you got GCC_EXEC_PREFIX set (the
answer should be no)?

I'm interested about what the cause is if not moved tools.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] "too many input files" error from cpp
@ 2000-09-05 13:54   ` Greg Shubin
       [not found]   ` <39B5BACF.95AAE4F5@wco.com>
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-09-05 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Greg Shubin wrote:
> >
> > I've read the FAQ and the archives of this list. The standard answer
> > seems to be "you've moved the tools from where you built them. Either
> > put symlinks to the build directories or build them again". Well, I
> > haven't moved them from the build directory and I still get this. I am
> > bullding on Mandrake 7.1, which I believe is basically Redhat 6.2. I've
> > rebuilt the tools several times on two machine and I still get this
> > error. I also tried the latest snapshot (8/28 I think it was), and that
> > didn't even run (it wanted cpp0, which was nowhere to be found).
>
> Out of interest, do you have the tools at the head of your path? If you do
> `which cpp` what does it give you? Have you got GCC_EXEC_PREFIX set (the
> answer should be no)?
>
> I'm interested about what the cause is if not moved tools.

> Jifl
> --
> Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
> "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."  ||  These opinions are all my own fault

Here is my path:

/home/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/tools/bin:/home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu/bin:
/home/gshubin/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/gshubin/bin:

/home/gshubin/bin

Here is what I get when I run 'which cpp':

    cornfed:ecos-work$ which cpp
    /home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu/bin/cpp

No, I don't have GCC_EXEC_PREFIX set.

Also, here are the configure and make commands I used to build the toolchain.
I used subdirectories under /home/ecos/build for binutils, gcc, and gdb. This
is on the FreeBSD system that doesn't work. BTW, I installed GNU make, since
the native BSD make isn't compatible.

/home/ecos/src/binutils/binutils-2.10/configure --target=powerpc-eabi
--prefix=/home/ecos/ --exec-prefix=/home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu -v

make all install

/home/gshubin/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure --target=powerpc-eabi
--prefix=/home/gshubin/tools/ --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib -v

 make -w all-gcc install-gcc LANGUAGES="c c++"

/home/ecos/src/gdb/insight-5.0/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/home/ecos
--exec-prefix=/home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu/ -v

 make -w all install

* Re: [ECOS] "too many input files" error from cpp
@ 2000-09-05 14:51     ` Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-09-05 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

Oops, I cut and pasted from the wrong commands below. "--target=powerpc-eabi"
should read "--target=arm-elf". I built the tools for both targets, and copied the
powerpc-eabi ones from the command history instead of arm-elf.
Greg Shubin wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
> > Greg Shubin wrote:
> > >
> > > I've read the FAQ and the archives of this list. The standard answer
> > > seems to be "you've moved the tools from where you built them. Either
> > > put symlinks to the build directories or build them again". Well, I
> > > haven't moved them from the build directory and I still get this. I am
> > > bullding on Mandrake 7.1, which I believe is basically Redhat 6.2. I've
> > > rebuilt the tools several times on two machine and I still get this
> > > error. I also tried the latest snapshot (8/28 I think it was), and that
> > > didn't even run (it wanted cpp0, which was nowhere to be found).
> >
> > Out of interest, do you have the tools at the head of your path? If you do
> > `which cpp` what does it give you? Have you got GCC_EXEC_PREFIX set (the
> > answer should be no)?
> >
> > I'm interested about what the cause is if not moved tools.
>
> > Jifl
> > --
> > Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
> > "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."  ||  These opinions are all my own fault
>
> Here is my path:
>
> /home/opt/ecos/ecos-1.3.1/tools/bin:/home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu/bin:
> /home/gshubin/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/gshubin/bin:
>
> /home/gshubin/bin
>
> Here is what I get when I run 'which cpp':
>
>     cornfed:ecos-work$ which cpp
>     /home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu/bin/cpp
>
> No, I don't have GCC_EXEC_PREFIX set.
>
> Also, here are the configure and make commands I used to build the toolchain.
> I used subdirectories under /home/ecos/build for binutils, gcc, and gdb. This
> is on the FreeBSD system that doesn't work. BTW, I installed GNU make, since
> the native BSD make isn't compatible.
>
> /home/ecos/src/binutils/binutils-2.10/configure --target=powerpc-eabi
> --prefix=/home/ecos/ --exec-prefix=/home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu -v
>
> make all install
>
> /home/gshubin/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure --target=powerpc-eabi
> --prefix=/home/gshubin/tools/ --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib -v
>
>  make -w all-gcc install-gcc LANGUAGES="c c++"
>
> /home/ecos/src/gdb/insight-5.0/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/home/ecos
> --exec-prefix=/home/ecos/H-i586-pc-freebsd-gnu/ -v
>
>  make -w all install

* Re: [ECOS] "too many input files" error from cpp (still more)
       [not found]   ` <39B5BACF.95AAE4F5@wco.com>
@ 2000-09-11 15:25     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-09-11 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Shubin; +Cc: Greg Shubin, ecos-discuss

Greg Shubin wrote:
> Here are some more clues. I added the gcc -v flag to the offending make file.
> The FreeBSD one says it is using a specs file, the Linux one says it will use
> builtin specs.

This definitely indicates a problem - it should not be using builtin specs.

I finally noticed the problem - your paths included:

/home/tools/H-i686-freebsd-gnu//lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/2.95.2/cpp

There should not be a double slash. You should rebuild, but in the
configure line make sure there is no trailing slash on the prefix and
exec-prefix arguments.

The double slash definitely causes the problem you are seeing. I'll update
the FAQ entry to mention this.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] "too many input files" error from cpp (still more)
@ 2000-09-11 16:30       ` Greg Shubin
From: Greg Shubin @ 2000-09-11 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Thanks, that must be it. I just rebuilt and it looks to be working. Maybe I am too
dependent on bash's name completion, and it puts the trailing slash on
directories.

Now, on to actually working with ECOS.