* [ECOS] ecos cvs server bug??
@ 2000-09-15 11:50 Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2000-09-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Hi,

It seems there is a bug in the cvs server used by ecos.
When I want to diff recursively some directories, the filenames in the diff
output doesn't include the subdirectories name (and that make the output
unsuitable for patches).

I first thought this was a cvs client bug, and I found a record of this
fixed bug in the cvs homepage. The bug his said to have been fixed in cvs
1.10.3. And i was using cvs 1.10.5.

I tested my cvs client against another cvs server (the CVS cvs server to be
precise) and the diff output was correct so i suspect the bug is in the cvs
servers.

Does eCos ( or all Redhat) cvs server is older than 1.10.3 ?

As I suspect the cvs server is not only for eCos, can anybody at Redhat
forward this to the cvs administrator ?

I'm surprised that nobody ever noticed this problem, or am I the only one
who is trying to doing patches ???

(BTW the cvs version that come with redhat know is at least 1.10.7...)

Thanks

A+

--
Fabrice Gautier
fabrice_gautier@sdesigns.com

* Re: [ECOS] ecos cvs server bug??
@ 2000-09-15 11:59 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-09-15 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Fabrice Gautier wrote:
> It seems there is a bug in the cvs server used by ecos.
> When I want to diff recursively some directories, the filenames in the diff
> output doesn't include the subdirectories name (and that make the output
> unsuitable for patches).
[snip]
> Does eCos ( or all Redhat) cvs server is older than 1.10.3 ?

It appears so.

> As I suspect the cvs server is not only for eCos, can anybody at Redhat
> forward this to the cvs administrator ?

I'll pass it on.

> I'm surprised that nobody ever noticed this problem, or am I the only one
> who is trying to doing patches ???

It only affects recursive diffs. There has been a long-standing practice at
Cygnus/Red Hat to use the attached FixPatch script when generating patches
made from "cvs diff"s. To be honest, I didn't know the problem had been
fixed for that reason!

Jifl
#! /usr/bin/perl -wi

# From: Jason Merrill <jason@cygnus.com>
# Date: 07 Dec 1997 01:29:36 -0800
#
# When I do a cvs diff, I always pass the output through this script, which
# copies the filename from the Index line into the patch itself.

while (<>)
{
  if (/^Index: (.*)/)
    {