* [ECOS] Porting...
@ 2000-09-19 10:24 Rafael Rodríguez Velilla
From: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla @ 2000-09-19 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

   I have finally finish reading the basic documentation(Getting Started
with eCos, eCos Reference Manual, eCos User's Guide and The eCos
Component Writer's Guide). I'd want to port eCos to an ARM based
platform by my company but I still don't figure out how to go through
the sources.
  I think I have understood  the philosophy of the CDL but I don't know
how to start the port, so I will make some questions to see if I can go
on with it.
  I have copied the hal package of the arm-pid to a new directory under
arm-tema (tema is the name of my board).
  I have modified (manually) ecos.db so I have added the "new" package
and its references and added a target called tema (by copypasting the
"pid" target information).

  When I make ecosconfig new tema minimal -> ecosconfig tree,  it seems
to be right and the next thing that I want to change is the memory
layout.
  I work with Linux and I have to do it manually, so this is my first
question:

  I want to modify the areas where the code will be linked. ¿Where do I
have to altere the source files to obtain a correct linker script?

  Thank you in advance. I hope I'll soon understand it all so I can stop
asking this kind of questions.

--
Rafael Rodríguez Velilla        rrv@tid.es
Telefónica I+D          http://www.tid.es

* Re: [ECOS] Porting...
@ 2000-09-25  1:57   ` Rafael Rodríguez Velilla
From: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla @ 2000-09-25  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos

   Is RedHat interested on my port? I have no problem to make it public
(I do have to make it public anyway).

   I'm going to try the windows tools to configure the memory. Do they
work correctly on a Win98? I tried it on an Win95 (first version) a long
time ago but it crashed.

--

@ 2000-09-25  3:00 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-09-25  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla; +Cc: ecos

Rafael>   I want to modify the areas where the code will be
Rafael> linked. ¿Where do I have to altere the source files to obtain
Rafael> a correct linker script?

See http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/index.html ,
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/hal-memory.html in
particular.

@ 2000-09-25  6:10     ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-09-25  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla; +Cc: ecos

Rafael>    Is RedHat interested on my port? I have no problem to make
Rafael> it public (I do have to make it public anyway).

Sure. You'd have to sign a copyright assignment (see
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/assign.html ), and we may ask you to
change some things before the code can be included in the main
tree (it has to match our coding standards). But we'd be delighted to
get another port!

However, please remember that the port would remain unsupported by Red
Hat.

Rafael>    I'm going to try the windows tools to configure the
Rafael> memory. Do they work correctly on a Win98? I tried it on an
Rafael> Win95 (first version) a long time ago but it crashed.

We only support Windows NT - but the later versions of the Config Tool
may be more stable on WinDOS, I don't know.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] Porting...
@ 2000-07-18 10:00 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-07-18 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla; +Cc: ecos

Rafael Rodríguez Velilla wrote:

>   Hello,
>    I'm starting to work with ecos, and I'm going to port it to a chip
> based on an ARM7TDMI, it is called microPP (from microPay Phone)
>    The port is for a custom design that we have developed at Telefónica
> I+D, so it's a very singular platform and I suppose that nobody else
> than me is going to be interested in the port, anyway I would want to
> work with the philosophy of eCos, I want to have an eCos package that
> using something like "ecosconfig new microPP " generates all the
> working-directory adjusted to microPPs requirements. Which is the
> recommended reading for doing this? Is there something written so I can
> know how to change eCos in order to satisfy my needs taking into account
> that I'd want to be able to apply future modifications of eCos directly
> to my new porting?

The component architecture of eCos shouldn't make this too difficult. If
you want to make it more resilient to future changes, it may be worth
starting off with what is in the anonymous CVS repository. There have been
extensive changes recently in all HALs to enhance support for ROM monitors.

There is work in progress to write a porting guide, currently at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/ but there is much left
to do. Any feedback or, better still, assistance with this would, of
course, be appreciated!

But as always, in a sense, the code is the best documentation :-).

>    Another question. Has anybody worked with an ARM7TDMI with an
> MMU(ARM710 or something  like that)? Does eCos or gcc takes this feature
> into account?

I believe the Cirrus Logic EDB7211 boards use an ARM710C if I remember
right. So that eCos port may be of interest to you.

Jifl

* [ECOS] Porting...
@ 2000-07-18  9:13 Rafael Rodríguez Velilla
From: Rafael Rodríguez Velilla @ 2000-07-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)