* [ECOS] Memory Problems Under eCos
@ 2000-11-30  8:06 Colin Ford
From: Colin Ford @ 2000-11-30  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm still finding that my GoAhead web server runs out of
memory. I've traced it a bit further and found that when
a request comes through memory is trying to be freed but
the bp->flags have been corrupted and the integrity
not valid anymore.

It seems that the following gets corrupted:

  ../sockGen.c:712
  ../webs.c:2108
  ../sockGen.c:716
  ../sockGen.c:714

These then mount up by one each time and eventually
I run out of memory.......Doh!

So I reckon that its eCos. Ho well I'll carry on looking.

Thanks,
Col.

Colin Ford               PipingHot Networks
Software Engineer        +44 (0)1364 655510

* Re: [ECOS] Memory Problems Under eCos
@ 2000-11-30  9:00 ` Hugo Tyson
From: Hugo Tyson @ 2000-11-30  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Colin Ford <colin.ford@pipinghotnetworks.com> writes:

> I'm still finding that my GoAhead web server runs out of
> memory. I've traced it a bit further and found that when
> a request comes through memory is trying to be freed but
> the bp->flags have been corrupted and the integrity
> not valid anymore.
>
> It seems that the following gets corrupted:
>
>   ../sockGen.c:712
>   ../webs.c:2108
>   ../sockGen.c:716
>   ../sockGen.c:714
>
> These then mount up by one each time and eventually
> I run out of memory.......Doh!
>
> So I reckon that its eCos. Ho well I'll carry on looking.

I know 0.0 about the context here, but when I'm debugging and I see stuff
like that, what I do is severalfold:

a) run with asserts enabled if you're not already
b) make your stacks much bigger - eCos does NOT do stack checking
c) make your malloc heap much bigger (if that applies to your platform) -
   a failed malloc returns NULL, which can go undetected.
[Sorry if this is preaching to the converted...]

What's a bp-> ?  Is it an eCos data structure or part of GoAhead?
Those source files are references to allocation calls or pointers?
(If anyone else has more context here and can help properly, ignore me)

	- Huge

* Re: [ECOS] Memory Problems Under eCos
@ 2000-11-30  9:42   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-30  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Tyson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hugo Tyson wrote:

> Colin Ford <colin.ford@pipinghotnetworks.com> writes:
>
> > I'm still finding that my GoAhead web server runs out of
> > memory. I've traced it a bit further and found that when
> > a request comes through memory is trying to be freed but
> > the bp->flags have been corrupted and the integrity
> > not valid anymore.

[snip]
> I know 0.0 about the context here, but when I'm debugging and I see stuff
> like that, what I do is severalfold:
>
> a) run with asserts enabled if you're not already
> b) make your stacks much bigger - eCos does NOT do stack checking
> c) make your malloc heap much bigger (if that applies to your platform) -
>    a failed malloc returns NULL, which can go undetected.
> [Sorry if this is preaching to the converted...]
>
> What's a bp-> ?  Is it an eCos data structure or part of GoAhead?

GoAhead

To add some more context, this is something we've seen as well, but we
haven't worked out where it is happening - we'd be grateful if Colin could
tell us if he finds the problem! GoAhead have their own memory allocation
stuff, and don't use eCos malloc. I imagine Gary T has some more state but
I happen to know he's busy right now :).

Jifl