* [ECOS] questions about redboot
@ 2001-03-19 18:52 lmc83
From: lmc83 @ 2001-03-19 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
    My target platform is edb7212, I use serial port to communicate with
    my host. I have use dl_edb7xxx to download redboot.bin into my target,
    and can see the Redboot> prompt now.
    Currently, I am trying to download ecos into target.
    But I have some question about redboot.
    Can I use redboot to debug kernel like that when I writing NT/9x
    driver? (which have kernel debugging tools which could let me source
    level and single step trace my driver)
    If it could, how to setting up so that I can do so?
    If it couldn't, what ability it provide? Is it just provide me for
    downloading image?

        Thanks in advance for your help.

                                   Liang Ming-Chung

* Re: [ECOS] questions about redboot
@ 2001-03-20  9:26 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-03-20  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lmc83, ecos-discuss

Hi Liang,

I didn't see a reply to this, so I will answer some of your question
quickly (note I am not a redboot or ecos expert, just a "black box" user at
this point):

>    My target platform is edb7212, I use serial port to communicate with

Me too, though I just submitted my schematic to the factory and am soon to
receive my first real PCB and start porting to my real hardware...

>    Can I use redboot to debug kernel like that when I writing NT/9x
>     driver? (which have kernel debugging tools which could let me source
>     level and single step trace my driver)

"Kind of". Redboot contains a gdb back-end which talks to gdb on your host
PC over a serial link. Since you're familiar with MS tools: it is _closest_
in similarity to using WDEB386 and a serial terminal to debug ring 0 code.
You can examine and modify memory, you can step through the program (either
by source line or by machine code instruction), you can set breakpoints,
and so on.

Redboot is more intrusive than a hardware debugging solution, but it is
cheap and effective. You cannot virtualize I/O and memory writes, for instance.

>     If it could, how to setting up so that I can do so?

Assuming the serial cable is still connected, just run arm-elf-gdb
[elfname.exe] on your host PC, then:

set remotebaud 38400
target remote com1 (or whatever is the COM port)
continue

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] questions about redboot
@ 2003-05-07 13:31 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-05-07 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Kober; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:24:29PM +0200, Matt Kober wrote:

> i finally got Redboot to build without out problems and after
> downloading it i started it with a 'go (address)' command from my
> bootloader. it seems to run, as i get the Redboot prompt and the
> version command gives some reasonable output.  i tried to bebug a
> simple ecos example program but only get a 'continuing' on the
> console window of the gdb.

> does it cause trouble starting Redboot on an already initialized
> platform opposed to letting redboot handle the hardware setup ? do i
> need to give redboot total control over the hardware at power up
> time?

Its better if you can give Redboot total control. You are never quite
shore what the other bootloader has setup, and a RAM version of
Redboot cannot totally reset the system. If you can, i would build a
ROM version and put it into your flash. If you don't want to replace
your current bootloader, link redboot to run at a different block in
flash, and use your current bootloader to start it.

One thing to check with your current setup. Are the load addresses
different for redboot at the application? The application could be
over-writing redboot.

             Andrew

* [ECOS] questions about redboot
@ 2003-05-07 13:28 Matt Kober
From: Matt Kober @ 2003-05-07 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

i finally got Redboot to build without out problems and after downloading it i
started it with a 'go (address)' command  from my bootloader. it seems to
run, as i get the Redboot prompt and the version command gives some
reasonable output.  i tried to bebug a simple ecos example program but only
get a 'continuing' on the console window of the gdb.

does it cause trouble starting Redboot on an already initialized platform opposed
to letting redboot handle the hardware setup ? do i need to give redboot total
control over the hardware at power up time?

thanks for the help,

Matt

* [ECOS] questions about redboot
@ 2003-05-07 13:24 Matt Kober
From: Matt Kober @ 2003-05-07 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

@ 2002-03-12 23:04 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2002-03-12 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Afzal, Naeem M; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 04:05, Afzal, Naeem M wrote:

> What is the clean way of removing GDB related stuff and diag from RedBoot
> binary. Can it be done by modifying CDL scripts?

No, I don't think so. But the code could probably be changed to support
it (if it doesn't already). The option to look for is
CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS.

> Second question - I have RedBoot for IQ80310 platform and when I do a build
> it doesn't compile serial port driver. Do I need to add some package for
> this?

RedBoot works with polled HAL serial drivers only.

Jesper

* [ECOS] Questions about RedBoot
@ 2002-03-07 19:58 Afzal, Naeem M