* [ECOS]thread switch frequency
@ 2001-04-20  1:59 Andrea Acquaviva
From: Andrea Acquaviva @ 2001-04-20  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
I have a question about eCos mlqueue scheduler.
If there are two threads (making a matrix multiplication), running with
the same priority, they switch with a frequency given by:

f_clock/CYGNUM_KERNEL_SCHED_TIMESLICE_TICKS,

where f_clock in the case of strongarm1110 (assabet) is 3.6864MHz.

Is this correct or is there something else that affects the switching
frequency?
My question arises because I observed a mismatch between the switch time
overhead calculated by tm_basic test and the one that I measured by
evaluating the execution time of the two thread mentioned above (that
is, is much less than expected).

Thanks!
Andrea.

--
Ing. Andrea Acquaviva
D.E.I.S. - Universita' di Bologna

* Re: [ECOS]thread switch frequency
@ 2001-04-20  2:23 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-20  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Acquaviva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Andrea Acquaviva wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question about eCos mlqueue scheduler.
> If there are two threads (making a matrix multiplication), running with
> the same priority, they switch with a frequency given by:
>
> f_clock/CYGNUM_KERNEL_SCHED_TIMESLICE_TICKS,
>
> where f_clock in the case of strongarm1110 (assabet) is 3.6864MHz.
>
> Is this correct or is there something else that affects the switching
> frequency?

The timer that drives the kernel clock interrupt is at 3.6864MHz yes, but
it is has been programmed to only actually interrupt when its counter
reaches 36864, which corresponds to every 10ms. And only 1 in
CYGNUM_KERNEL_SCHED_TIMESLICE_TICKS of those causes a timeslice.

Jifl