* [ECOS] Hello_eCos_World on iPAQ.
@ 2001-04-23 10:04 Victor Tarasov
From: Victor Tarasov @ 2001-04-23 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
It seems that I am not so intelligent to run alone my first RedBoot
application on iPAQ.
Can you help me, please?

Package installation was made by:
>ecosconfig new ipaq redboot
>ecosconfig import redboot_RAM.ecm
>ecosconfig resolve
>ecosconfig tree
>make

Hello_eCos was compiled with:
>arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -c -o hello.o -g -Wall
-I/redboot/ecos-ram/install/include -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
hello.c
>arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -nostartfiles
-L/redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib -Wl,--gc-sections -o hello hello.o
-Ttarget.ld -nostdlib /redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib/version.o

Then GDB:
>arm-elf-gdb  -nw  hello

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS1
0x50105890 in ?? ()
(    After several attempts  another version of gdb answer at this
stage:
     Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS1
     0x25748 in _breakinst () at
/opt/ecos/ecos_massiot/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/hal_misc.c:220
     220         HAL_BREAKPOINT(_breakinst);
)

(gdb) load
Start address 0x20040 , load size 155084
Transfer rate: 26971 bits/sec, 305 bytes/write.

(gdb) break main
Function "main" not defined.

(gdb) continue
Continuing.

Nothing happens after.

Victor.

PS: How can I recompile RedBoot for iPAQ?
"RedBoot" template with the imported configuration
$ECOS_REPOSITORY/packages/hal/arm/sa11x0/ipaq/current/misc/redboot_Compaq.ecm
(also redboot_rom.ecm)
gives the binaries that are not working on the iPAQ.
The templates "all", "default" and "stubs" give the error during
compilation.

* RE: [ECOS] Hello_eCos_World on iPAQ.
@ 2001-04-23 10:21 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-04-23 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Tarasov; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 23-Apr-2001 Victor Tarasov wrote:
> Hi,
> It seems that I am not so intelligent to run alone my first RedBoot
> application on iPAQ.
> Can you help me, please?
>
> Package installation was made by:
>>ecosconfig new ipaq redboot
>>ecosconfig import redboot_RAM.ecm
>>ecosconfig resolve
>>ecosconfig tree
>>make
>
> Hello_eCos was compiled with:
>>arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -c -o hello.o -g -Wall
> -I/redboot/ecos-ram/install/include -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
> hello.c
>>arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -nostartfiles
> -L/redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib -Wl,--gc-sections -o hello hello.o
> -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib /redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib/version.o

This is probably not what you really wanted to do.  You'll need to build
a separate configuration just for the 'hello' program, like this (in a
directory just for this):
  % mkdir /tmp/ipaq_ecos
  % cd /tmp/ipaq_ecos
  % ecosconfig new ipaq
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make

Then re-do your commands, but use /tmp/ipaq_ecos instead of /redboot/ecos-ram
  <<snip>>

> PS: How can I recompile RedBoot for iPAQ?
> "RedBoot" template with the imported configuration
> $ECOS_REPOSITORY/packages/hal/arm/sa11x0/ipaq/current/misc/redboot_Compaq.ecm
> (also redboot_rom.ecm)
> gives the binaries that are not working on the iPAQ.
> The templates "all", "default" and "stubs" give the error during
> compilation.

Why do you want to recompile RedBoot?

* Re: [ECOS] Hello_eCos_World on iPAQ.
@ 2001-04-23 10:42 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-23 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Tarasov; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Victor Tarasov wrote:

> Hi,
> It seems that I am not so intelligent to run alone my first RedBoot
> application on iPAQ.
> Can you help me, please?

Are you using the precompiled binaries available from
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/ipaq.html ?

Once you know you've got something working, then you will probably find it
easier to rebuild and be sure there aren't any problems with e.g. your
tools etc.

> Package installation was made by:
> >ecosconfig new ipaq redboot
> >ecosconfig import redboot_RAM.ecm
> >ecosconfig resolve
> >ecosconfig tree
> >make
>
> Hello_eCos was compiled with:
> >arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -c -o hello.o -g -Wall
> -I/redboot/ecos-ram/install/include -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
> hello.c
> >arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=strongarm                      -nostartfiles
> -L/redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib -Wl,--gc-sections -o hello hello.o
> -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib /redboot/ecos-ram/install/lib/version.o
>
> Then GDB:
> >arm-elf-gdb  -nw  hello

It looks what you are describing is that you are using the build tree
configured with "ecosconfig new ipaq redboot" to build your applications.
This isn't right - the redboot template is used solely for building redboot
itself. Instead start with a new clean build tree and just use a default
configuration like:

ecosconfig new ipaq
ecosconfig tree
make

In fact then do:

make tests

which will build some test applications under install/tests/ which you can
try out on the board, which may help avoid any pilot error in building the
hello world example.

> PS: How can I recompile RedBoot for iPAQ?
> "RedBoot" template with the imported configuration
> $ECOS_REPOSITORY/packages/hal/arm/sa11x0/ipaq/current/misc/redboot_Compaq.ecm
> (also redboot_rom.ecm)
> gives the binaries that are not working on the iPAQ.
> The templates "all", "default" and "stubs" give the error during
> compilation.

Do recompile RedBoot you must use the redboot template only. Make sure you
are using a new clean build tree when you build for a different template.

I take it you are following the instructions in the RedBoot user's guide on
installing for the ipaq, of course.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Hello_eCos_World on iPAQ.
@ 2001-04-30  8:39             ` Victor Tarasov
From: Victor Tarasov @ 2001-04-30  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, eCos Discussion

Gary Thomas wrote:

> How does this relate to your problem?  Can you send your 'hello' application (source)?
>
> I tried these steps with our sample 'hello' program and there had no problems.

Here is my 'hello':
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
  int i=23;
  printf("Hello, eCos world! %i\n",++i);
  ++i;
  return 0;
}

It seems that target console output do not pass through 'mangler'.
With the diagnostics output directed to the channel 0, the "$O..#" message, can be seen on the host.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <cyg/hal/hal_arch.h>           /* CYGNUM_HAL_STACK_SIZE_TYPICAL */
#include <cyg/hal/hal_if.h>

const char test_string[] = "$O5468697320697320612074657374206d657373616765210d0a#12";

int main(void)
{
  int i=23, cur;

  cur = CYGACC_CALL_IF_SET_CONSOLE_COMM(CYGNUM_CALL_IF_SET_COMM_ID_QUERY_CURRENT);
  CYGACC_CALL_IF_SET_CONSOLE_COMM(0);
  printf("%s\n",test_string);
  CYGACC_CALL_IF_SET_CONSOLE_COMM(cur);
  printf("%s\n",test_string);
  i++;
  return 0;
}
Target dies after the second printf.

@ 2001-04-30  5:02           ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-04-30  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Tarasov; +Cc: eCos Discussion

@ 2001-04-30  1:36         ` Victor Tarasov
From: Victor Tarasov @ 2001-04-30  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, eCos Discussion

@ 2001-04-26 17:28       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-04-26 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Tarasov; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Jonathan Larmour

@ 2001-04-26  7:30     ` Victor Tarasov
From: Victor Tarasov @ 2001-04-26  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, ecos-discuss

@ 2001-04-24  9:47   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Victor Tarasov, eCos Discussion

       [not found] <3AE5384E.779252B@idealx.com>
@ 2001-04-24  5:54 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-04-24  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor Tarasov; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Note: email which is not sent to the discussion list (or at least copied to it)
will be automatically discarded from now on.  Please use the list.

On 24-Apr-2001 Victor Tarasov wrote:
> Thank you very much for the attention.
>
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>> This is probably not what you really wanted to do.  You'll need to build
>> a separate configuration just for the 'hello' program, like this (in a
>> directory just for this):
>>   % mkdir /tmp/ipaq_ecos
>>   % cd /tmp/ipaq_ecos
>>   % ecosconfig new ipaq
>>   % ecosconfig tree
>>   % make
>
> I tried this sequence also. During the compilation of the libraries it looks for:
>>packages/devs/touch/arm/ipaq/current/src/ipaq_ts.c:57: cyg/fileio/fileio.h: No
> such file or directory
>
> The only fileio.h that I found in the CVS distribution is
> packages/io/fileio/current/include/fileio.h,
> so, I added it manually to the install directory, but afterwards it looks for
> pkgconf/io_fileio.h
> That one, I have not found in the CVS distribution.

Yes, there was a problem here.  This can be fixed by adding the command
  % ecosconfig add fileio
just before the 'ecosconfig tree' line.