* [ECOS] How to create a Bin file for downloading
@ 2001-04-24  2:27 Huang Qiang
From: Huang Qiang @ 2001-04-24  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos

While using eCos configuration tool and the cross compiler and linker how to
build a program to be store in the target's flash memory and start it at the
startup?
thanks

* Re: [ECOS] How to create a Bin file for downloading
@ 2001-04-24  3:10 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-24  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Huang Qiang; +Cc: eCos

Huang Qiang wrote:

> While using eCos configuration tool and the cross compiler and linker how to
> build a program to be store in the target's flash memory and start it at the
> startup?

to create a binfile on ARM use:

arm-elf-objcopy -O binary file file.bin

where file is the program in ELF format.

How to get it onto your board is board dependent. For the EB40 I don't know
I'm afraid.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] How to create a Bin file for downloading
@ 2001-04-24  3:19   ` Huang Qiang
From: Huang Qiang @ 2001-04-24  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos

Thank you Jonathan.

But...
Can I get the program in ELF format under windows 2000? How to get it?
I used to get a file name a.out. what can I do with this file.

command used to create this file:
arm-elf-gcc -g -I/c/ecos-work/E7T_install/include
led.c -L/c/ecos-work/E7T_install/lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib

after that I got a file name: a.out
I used to download it by using Insight 5.0 but now I want to install in in
the target's flash memory by using Redboot.

regards!

@ 2001-04-24  3:24     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-24  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Huang Qiang; +Cc: eCos

Huang Qiang wrote:

> Thank you Jonathan.
>
> But...
> Can I get the program in ELF format under windows 2000? How to get it?
> I used to get a file name a.out. what can I do with this file.
>
> command used to create this file:
> arm-elf-gcc -g -I/c/ecos-work/E7T_install/include
> led.c -L/c/ecos-work/E7T_install/lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib
>
> after that I got a file name: a.out

Programs created by arm-elf tools are in ELF format. So just try it with
a.out.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] How to create a Bin file for downloading
@ 2001-04-24  6:18   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-24  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, Huang Qiang; +Cc: eCos

>Huang Qiang wrote:
> > While using eCos configuration tool and the cross compiler and linker
> how to
> > build a program to be store in the target's flash memory and start it
> at the
> > startup?
>
>How to get it onto your board is board dependent. For the EB40 I don't know
>I'm afraid.

Atmel provides, on the EB40's CD-ROM, sources for a flash tool that runs in
RAM. The procedure is:

* make sure the switch is set for low 64K boot
* boot Angel or GDB stubs on the EB40
* connect with GDB/Insight and upload the flasher program to RAM
* run the flasher program, which somehow accepts the new binary over the
serial link (I think a raw binary upload, I don't recall right now).
* once complete, flip the switch and reset. (your app gets burned into the
upper 64K of flash).

I'm 99% finished a little RAM-loaded booter application that is simpler
(for me) to use. The procedure for my app is:

* boot the EB40's "serial bootloader" by holding down FIQ while resetting
* use the BINCOM utility to upload my app to RAM
* press IRQ0 to start execution
* use Hyperterminal to upload your binary using Xmodem
* wait for LED to go out and you're ready to go

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."