* [ECOS] Flash file system
@ 2001-05-18  0:34 james chen
From: james chen @ 2001-05-18  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
     Has anyone ported JFFS(Journaling Flash File System, developed by Axis
Communications AB in Sweden) to eCos?
Best Regards,
James

* [ECOS] Additional serial drivers & file systems & redboot for i386 targets
@ 2001-05-18  2:25 ` Teng Chee Wan Philip
From: Teng Chee Wan Philip @ 2001-05-18  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I have a few questions about the i386 PC:

1.  The i386 PC target has 2 serial ports.  I would like to add a serial I/O
card to it to get more serial I/O ports and write a serial I/O driver for it.
What would be the neatest way to do it?  The serial I/O card needs some
additional initialisation to 'activate' it.  Do I modify
packages/io/serial/v1_3_1/i386/pc_serial.c and the corresponding .cdl file
directly?  I hope to use the configuration tool to enable or disable the driver
depending on whether the serial card is installed or not.

2.  I read some exchanges about having a DOS Filesystem on ECOS.  Personally, I
felt this will be useful, esp for my application where I need to store large
amount of data on harddisks.  Is this coming in the foreseeable future?
Meanwhile, is there any way I can make use of the harddisk to store my data
under ECOS?  Using raw filesystems(if any)or other formats?

3.  Is redboot supported on i386 target?  I can't find any.  Is there any reason
why redboot is not supported?  Or are we just waiting for someone to develop it?

regards,
Philip Teng

* Re: [ECOS] Flash file system
@ 2001-05-18 12:24 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-18 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james chen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

james chen wrote:

> Hi,
>      Has anyone ported JFFS(Journaling Flash File System, developed by Axis
> Communications AB in Sweden) to eCos?

No, and it's not very likely because it's GPL'd and has been superseded by
JFFS2. Porting _that_ sounds much more interesting, but we have no plans to
do that right now. Of course if anyone contributed it, or contracted Red
Hat to do it, that would do it :-).

<gratuitous advert>
If people are considering new ports, extensions, customizations, or
improvements to eCos or RedBoot, and would be interested in Red Hat helping
them do this, just e-mail ecos-info@redhat.com to discuss it further.
</gratuitous advert>

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Additional serial drivers & file systems & redboot for i386 targets
@ 2001-05-18 13:23   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-18 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teng Chee Wan Philip; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Teng Chee Wan Philip wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions about the i386 PC:
>
> 1.  The i386 PC target has 2 serial ports.  I would like to add a serial I/O
> card to it to get more serial I/O ports and write a serial I/O driver for it.
> What would be the neatest way to do it?  The serial I/O card needs some
> additional initialisation to 'activate' it.  Do I modify
> packages/io/serial/v1_3_1/i386/pc_serial.c and the corresponding .cdl file
> directly?  I hope to use the configuration tool to enable or disable the driver
> depending on whether the serial card is installed or not.

Sounds about right.

> 2.  I read some exchanges about having a DOS Filesystem on ECOS.  Personally, I
> felt this will be useful, esp for my application where I need to store large
> amount of data on harddisks.  Is this coming in the foreseeable future?
> Meanwhile, is there any way I can make use of the harddisk to store my data
> under ECOS?  Using raw filesystems(if any)or other formats?

As far as I know, there's no effort currently to provide a DOS filesystem
_publically_ for eCos. I know some people out there have written their own.

> 3.  Is redboot supported on i386 target?  I can't find any.  Is there any reason
> why redboot is not supported?  Or are we just waiting for someone to develop it?

It has been developed. It's a long story, but if you search the mail
archives at http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss you'll find patches
from Fabrice Gautier. Note that they may not apply well to the current CVS
so you may have to check out CVS from an earlier date.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Flash file system
@ 2001-06-03 19:43   ` james chen
From: james chen @ 2001-06-03 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

        I have looked the source code of JFFS2, but it is based on linux's
VFS. Now I want to port it to eCos, I don't know how to start it, does I
need port VFS+JFFS2 to eCos or only need to JFFS2 to eCos? any suggestion is
welcom!

Best Regards,
james