* [ECOS] MPC8240
@ 2001-05-22 23:02 K Srinivas Aithal
From: K Srinivas Aithal @ 2001-05-22 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I would like to use ecos for one of project based on
MPC8240.

I found that eCos supports MPC603. Since MPC8240's
core is a MPC603 processor, so I  think it will not be
a problem to take eCos on to my board.

My problem is that MPC603 is supported only on
simulator on Linux (psim target). How easy is my task
now. Can I take this psim environment for a live
target.

K Srinivas Aithal

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

* [ECOS] SMSC LAN91C96 ethernet driver
@ 2001-05-22 23:46 ` Joerg Rapka
From: Joerg Rapka @ 2001-05-22 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello all!

On the supported hardware website
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/hardware.html#ethernet
I found the ethernet device SMSC LAN91C96. I did not found the driver
sources in the
anonymous CVS, even if it should be available there (note at status of the
ethernet
devices). I have browsed the anonymous CVS at "ecos/packages/devs/eth/", but
did not
found the sources there. Also the search of the different mailing lists did
not get
any result.

Thanks for help,
Joerg

* Re: [ECOS] MPC8240
@ 2001-05-23  6:48 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-23  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: K Srinivas Aithal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

K Srinivas Aithal wrote:

> I would like to use ecos for one of project based on
> MPC8240.
>
> I found that eCos supports MPC603. Since MPC8240's
> core is a MPC603 processor, so I  think it will not be
> a problem to take eCos on to my board.
>
> My problem is that MPC603 is supported only on
> simulator on Linux (psim target). How easy is my task
> now. Can I take this psim environment for a live
> target.

If you start from the anonymous CVS version, you'll see that there is a
ppc60x variant HAL. It's probably not complete as it's only been used so
far with psim. But since you'll have to do a board port anyway, filling in
the gaps isn't likely to be of much consequence, and all the framework is
there.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] SMSC LAN91C96 ethernet driver
@ 2001-05-23  7:41   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joerg Rapka; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Joerg Rapka wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> On the supported hardware website
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/hardware.html#ethernet
> I found the ethernet device SMSC LAN91C96. I did not found the driver
> sources in the
> anonymous CVS, even if it should be available there (note at status of the
> ethernet
> devices). I have browsed the anonymous CVS at "ecos/packages/devs/eth/", but
> did not
> found the sources there. Also the search of the different mailing lists did
> not get
> any result.

How incredibly bizarre. I've looked at the mechanism by which the anonymous
CVS repository gets updated, and I can't see why it isn't happening! I'll
have to investigate further. Sorry about this - as far as we were
concerned, we thought the sources _were_ already public!

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] MPC8240
@ 2001-05-23 22:08   ` K Srinivas Aithal
From: K Srinivas Aithal @ 2001-05-23 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

--- Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> wrote:
> K Srinivas Aithal wrote:
> >
> > I would like to use ecos for one of project based
> on
> > MPC8240.
> >
> > I found that eCos supports MPC603. Since MPC8240's
> > core is a MPC603 processor, so I  think it will
> not be
> > a problem to take eCos on to my board.
> >
> > My problem is that MPC603 is supported only on
> > simulator on Linux (psim target). How easy is my
> task
> > now. Can I take this psim environment for a live
> > target.
>
> If you start from the anonymous CVS version, you'll
> see that there is a
> ppc60x variant HAL. It's probably not complete as
> it's only been used so
> far with psim. But since you'll have to do a board
> port anyway, filling in
> the gaps isn't likely to be of much consequence, and
> all the framework is
> there.

Thanks for the Info Jonathan. Does it mean that this
ppc60x variant HAL donot support any of the required
peripherals like PCI, serial port etc. Also, what
exactly the framework consists of.
> Jifl
> --
> Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK.
> Tel: +44 (1223) 271062
> Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous
> Huxley || Opinions==mine

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

* Re: [ECOS] MPC8240
@ 2001-05-24  8:10     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-24  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: K Srinivas Aithal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

K Srinivas Aithal wrote:
> Thanks for the Info Jonathan. Does it mean that this
> ppc60x variant HAL donot support any of the required
> peripherals like PCI, serial port etc. Also, what
> exactly the framework consists of.

It doesn't have PCI now, but we have a generic PCI library, and you "just"
have to fill in the macros, as on other platforms (no PowerPC ones
currently admittedly) to code up the stuff specific to your platform.

AIUI all serial is platform specific anyway, and couldn't go in the 603
variant HAL in any case (unless _all_ the 60x series have serial on-chip?).

Jifl