* [ECOS] Redboot Installation
@ 2001-05-27 22:47 Rajeev murthy
From: Rajeev murthy @ 2001-05-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hi,
  i'm trying to install Redboot on my board which has a SamsungKS17C4000 microcontroller with ARM7 as its core. the board supports serial downloading of images and is configured for a ROM startup.

  i'm trying to understand which readme amongst the three provided (edb7xx , ebsa285 and user's guide) i've to use to start getting Redboot up and running on my board.
  how board specific is the installation procedure of Redboot?

  eventhough i built the four files, namely redboot.bin, redboot.img , redboot.elf and redboot.srec i'm not able to figure out how to get the Redboot> prompt.
 can anyone please tell me how to proceed after this.
thanks
rajeev

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot Installation
@ 2001-05-29 10:56 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-29 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rajeev50; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Rajeev murthy wrote:

> hi,
>   i'm trying to install Redboot on my board which has a SamsungKS17C4000 microcontroller with ARM7 as its core. the board supports serial downloading of images and is configured for a ROM startup.
>
>   i'm trying to understand which readme amongst the three provided (edb7xx , ebsa285 and user's guide) i've to use to start getting Redboot up and running on my board.

RedBoot user's guide is the place to look for that.

>   how board specific is the installation procedure of Redboot?

In general, completely. How can you load programs onto the board? Does it
have FLASH to program (and if so, have you written a driver)? Or can you
program it with JTAG? Does it just have a socketed EPROM you can program?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot Installation
@ 2001-05-31 14:38 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-31 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rajeev50; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Rajeev murthy wrote:

> >>   how board specific is the installation procedure of Redboot?
> >
> >In general, completely. How can you load programs onto the board? Does it
> >have FLASH to program (and if so, have you written a driver)? Or can you
> >program it with JTAG? Does it just have a socketed EPROM you can program?
>
> for downloading the images, i have my own program-loader which is a variant of the SETTOP protocol.
> how much porting effort would it involve to make Redboot start communicating with the board.

If you want a figure I can't give you a straight answer. Your hardware may
have all sorts of idiosyncracies. But you could probably expect to get to
the point of having RedBoot doing output within a week depending on your
experience. It takes us (Red Hat) less in general, but we have a lot more
experience :-).

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot Installation
@ 2001-05-30  9:08 Rajeev murthy
From: Rajeev murthy @ 2001-05-30  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour

--

On Tue, 29 May 2001 18:55:55
 Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>Rajeev murthy wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>   i'm trying to install Redboot on my board which has a SamsungKS17C4000 microcontroller with ARM7 as its core. the board supports serial downloading of images and is configured for a ROM startup.
>>
>>   i'm trying to understand which readme amongst the three provided (edb7xx , ebsa285 and user's guide) i've to use to start getting Redboot up and running on my board.
>
>RedBoot user's guide is the place to look for that.
>
>>   how board specific is the installation procedure of Redboot?
>
>In general, completely. How can you load programs onto the board? Does it
>have FLASH to program (and if so, have you written a driver)? Or can you
>program it with JTAG? Does it just have a socketed EPROM you can program?

for downloading the images, i have my own program-loader which is a variant of the SETTOP protocol.
how much porting effort would it involve to make Redboot start communicating with the board.
    thanks for the configuration files of PID.