* [ECOS] Windows Toolchain
@ 2001-05-30 15:15 Anthony Massa
From: Anthony Massa @ 2001-05-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos (E-mail)

I check the development tools web page you have for the PowerPC often.

I was curious, how often do you recommend updating to the latest binutils,
gcc and gdb?

Is there an "easy" way to go about the upgrade?

I am using:
- binutils VERSION 000509
- gcc-core version 2.95.2
- g++ version 2.95.2
- insight version 5.0
- cygwin.dll version 1.1.6

Do you recommend upgrading?

Thanks.

* Re: [ECOS] Windows Toolchain
@ 2001-05-30 19:59 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-30 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

Anthony Massa wrote:

> I check the development tools web page you have for the PowerPC often.
>
> I was curious, how often do you recommend updating to the latest binutils,
> gcc and gdb?
>
> Is there an "easy" way to go about the upgrade?
>
> I am using:
> - binutils VERSION 000509
> - gcc-core version 2.95.2
> - g++ version 2.95.2
> - insight version 5.0
> - cygwin.dll version 1.1.6
>
> Do you recommend upgrading?

Does it work? If so, don't upgrade :-). It's better to recommend old tools
that work rather than new tools that don't. (Cue Lewin to talk about the
old tools that don't ;-)).

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Windows Toolchain
@ 2001-05-31  9:26 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-05-31  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Massa; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

Anthony Massa wrote:

> The only reason I asked is because I find that the Insight GUI is very
> unresponsive when I run code sometimes.  If I run without the GUI it seems a
> lot better - although the GUI is an enormous help to me.  I was curious if
> you had heard this from others and found out that an update helped or fixed
> this type of problem.
>
> But my tool chain does work in this configuration.  I just didn't know if
> there were certain things that needed to be updated for the PowerPC tools in
> order to get them to run "better".

Well, you always have the option of tryinga new insight snapshot, but not
overwriting your old one so you can revert if need be.

Jifl
<advert> Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* RE: [ECOS] Windows Toolchain
@ 2001-05-31  9:23 Anthony Massa
From: Anthony Massa @ 2001-05-31  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: eCos (E-mail)

The only reason I asked is because I find that the Insight GUI is very
unresponsive when I run code sometimes.  If I run without the GUI it seems a
lot better - although the GUI is an enormous help to me.  I was curious if
you had heard this from others and found out that an update helped or fixed
this type of problem.

But my tool chain does work in this configuration.  I just didn't know if
there were certain things that needed to be updated for the PowerPC tools in
order to get them to run "better".

--Thanks.