* [ECOS] NASTY bug in eCos ConfigTool 1.3.1.2 Win32
@ 2001-06-12 15:02 Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-06-12 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'eCos'

I have two separate configs.  The are identical except one is RAM, and
the other is ROM support for the kernel.  If I change from ROM to RAM
support, it doesn't allow me to save the new configuration under the
current project.  I have to select File|Exit in order for it to ask me
to save and then it will finally acutally save it.  This caused me to
compile a program thinking it would run in RAM when it was actually
meant to be run in ROM.

* RE: [ECOS] NASTY bug in eCos ConfigTool 1.3.1.2 Win32
@ 2001-06-13  5:14 ` Gary Thomas
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-06-13  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: eCos

On 12-Jun-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
> I have two separate configs.  The are identical except one is RAM, and
> the other is ROM support for the kernel.  If I change from ROM to RAM
> support, it doesn't allow me to save the new configuration under the
> current project.  I have to select File|Exit in order for it to ask me
> to save and then it will finally acutally save it.  This caused me to
> compile a program thinking it would run in RAM when it was actually
> meant to be run in ROM.

Does this problem exist with the latest (Config Tool 2.0 alpha)?

The old tool is no longer maintained, so the most we can do is make
sure that the problem is fixed in the new one.

* RE: [ECOS] NASTY bug in eCos ConfigTool 1.3.1.2 Win32
@ 2001-06-13  6:06   ` Julian Smart
From: Julian Smart @ 2001-06-13  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: eCos

At 06:13 AM 6/13/01 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

>On 12-Jun-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
> > I have two separate configs.  The are identical except one is RAM, and
> > the other is ROM support for the kernel.  If I change from ROM to RAM
> > support, it doesn't allow me to save the new configuration under the
> > current project.  I have to select File|Exit in order for it to ask me
> > to save and then it will finally acutally save it.  This caused me to

Do you think you could list the steps involved? I'm not sure I understand
what you mean by not allowing you to save it.

Thanks,

Julian

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Unit 200 Rustat House, 62 Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. CB1
7EG Tel: +44 (1223) 271063

* RE: [ECOS] NASTY bug in eCos ConfigTool 1.3.1.2 Win32
@ 2001-06-13  7:42   ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-06-13  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'eCos'

I was told you can't use the Config Tool 2.0 alpha with the latest CVS
so I haven't bothered to try.

@ 2001-06-13  7:44     ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-06-13  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Julian Smart'; +Cc: 'eCos'

Ok, I'm starting out with a project that has already been saved.

Now I change from RAM to ROM, or the other way around.

Now you know the little '*' that usually appears to indicate you've made
a change?  Well, it doesn't appear.  If I click on save anyhow and then
exit, and come back in, the RAM/ROM option I changed is back to the way
it was before the change.  If I don't click on Save but I do exit, it
asks me if I want to save.  If I select yes, then the option is actually
saved, and is there when I come back in.  I have also tried going
"File|Save As" and selecting the same filename, but that doesn't work
either.

Understood?

@ 2001-06-13  7:54     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-06-13  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: eCos

On 13-Jun-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
> I was told you can't use the Config Tool 2.0 alpha with the latest CVS
> so I haven't bothered to try.

I think you've got it mixed up - you can't use the _old_ tool (1.3.1)
with the latest (CVS) repository.  You most definitely _can_ use the
new tool with it (otherwise, it'd be pretty useless, wouldn't it?)

The only caveat is that it is still quite new, hence "alpha", but we
do expect it to work and for users to try it and give us feedback when
it doesn't work as expected.

@ 2001-06-13  7:59       ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-06-13  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gary Thomas'; +Cc: 'eCos'

I had troubles getting it going, and someone said to use 1.3.1.2 because
it doesn't have any problems with using the latest CVS.  Anyhow, I
looked back at my earlier messages, and I think I miss read one of them.
Ever since, I've thought that the new Tool was being used with a special
CVS or something.  So, I thought it was being designed to replace the
old tool, and the old style of CVS or something like that.

@ 2001-06-13 11:05   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-06-13 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Trenton D. Adams, eCos

Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 12-Jun-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
> > I have two separate configs.  The are identical except one is RAM, and
> > the other is ROM support for the kernel.  If I change from ROM to RAM
> > support, it doesn't allow me to save the new configuration under the
> > current project.  I have to select File|Exit in order for it to ask me
> > to save and then it will finally acutally save it.  This caused me to
> > compile a program thinking it would run in RAM when it was actually
> > meant to be run in ROM.
>
> Does this problem exist with the latest (Config Tool 2.0 alpha)?
>
> The old tool is no longer maintained, so the most we can do is make
> sure that the problem is fixed in the new one.

This is a bit of an exaggeration. The old tool is no longer being improved
and developed. Instead development effort is concentrated on the Config
tools v2. It is still being maintained however.

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* Re: [ECOS] NASTY bug in eCos ConfigTool 1.3.1.2 Win32
@ 2001-06-13 11:08       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-06-13 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'Julian Smart', 'eCos'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> Ok, I'm starting out with a project that has already been saved.
>
> Now I change from RAM to ROM, or the other way around.
>
> Now you know the little '*' that usually appears to indicate you've made
> a change?  Well, it doesn't appear.  If I click on save anyhow and then
> exit, and come back in, the RAM/ROM option I changed is back to the way
> it was before the change.  If I don't click on Save but I do exit, it
> asks me if I want to save.  If I select yes, then the option is actually
> saved, and is there when I come back in.  I have also tried going
> "File|Save As" and selecting the same filename, but that doesn't work
> either.

I think I know what this is, and although it isn't a bug as such (more
unexpected behaviour), it should be fixed.... The problem is that if you
change the startup type from RAM to ROM, the config (as indicated by the
'*') doesn't notice. If you click anywhere else in the configuration pane,
_then_ it will notice and the '*' will appear.

It's caught me out before too, but I never requested it be fixed I don't
think :-|.

@ 2001-06-13 11:15         ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-06-13 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'Julian Smart', 'eCos'

Define the difference between "unexpected behaviour" and a "bug"?  In my
opinion, they are the same.

The crash factor I discussed however is definitely a BUG! :)  It may not
have been sent to anyone yet though because of the list lag.

> Ok, I'm starting out with a project that has already been saved.
>
> Now I change from RAM to ROM, or the other way around.
>
> Now you know the little '*' that usually appears to indicate you've
> made a change?  Well, it doesn't appear.  If I click on save anyhow
> and then exit, and come back in, the RAM/ROM option I changed is back
> to the way it was before the change.  If I don't click on Save but I
> do exit, it asks me if I want to save.  If I select yes, then the
> option is actually saved, and is there when I come back in.  I have
> also tried going "File|Save As" and selecting the same filename, but
> that doesn't work either.

I think I know what this is, and although it isn't a bug as such (more
unexpected behaviour), it should be fixed.... The problem is that if you
change the startup type from RAM to ROM, the config (as indicated by the
'*') doesn't notice. If you click anywhere else in the configuration
pane, _then_ it will notice and the '*' will appear.

It's caught me out before too, but I never requested it be fixed I don't
think :-|.

Jifl
--
Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223)
271062 Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley ||

@ 2001-06-14  8:20   ` Julian Smart
From: Julian Smart @ 2001-06-14  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos'

At 09:11 AM 6/13/01 -0600, Trenton D. Adams wrote:
>I've got another bug to report associated with the last one.  Change
>from RAM to ROM support, or the other way around.  Now pick a previous
>project from the recent file list.  Say no, you don't want to save.  The
>program will crash.
>
>I'm not using the 2.0 alpha config tool so maybe you could check if the
>bug is there too.

Sorry about the delay in replying. Some time ago I fixed this bug in the
original Config tool (what shall we call this, Configuration Tool Classic,
perhaps) but 1.3.1.2 must have been before my time. I'm happy to report
that this particular bug doesn't happen in the new tool.

Regards,

Julian
--

@ 2001-06-14  3:42 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-06-14  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Conti; +Cc: eCos

On 13-Jun-2001 Dan Conti wrote:
> On a related note for the RedHat folks, since the old config tool is no
> longer maintained, how much longer before the new tool comes out of
> alpha? Additionally, with the consistency issues, does the 2.0 alpha
> tool work properly with older eCos repositories?

My statement about the status of the Windows Config Tool was a bit stronger
than really warranted.  What I wanted to convey was that our engineering
efforts are currently concentrated on development of the new, cross-platform,
Config Tool.  The previous version (1.3.x) continues to be supported for
customers with support contracts.  Additionally, a new free, "net only", version
is unlikely as we expect to move to the new tool with all possible speed.

How fast that happens actually depends on you, the eCos users.  Development
of this tool takes resources, both for actual development and testing.  We
are undertaking this ourselves, but it is of a somwhat reduced priority as
we have to take care of paying customers and contracts before working on it.

Contributions from the eCos populace in the form of testing, feedback and
possibly even code(!) will only accelerate this process.

* Re: [ECOS] NASTY bug in eCos ConfigTool 1.3.1.2 Win32
@ 2001-06-13 13:47   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-06-13 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos

>There are all sorts of wonderful host side improvements and new tools that
>would help users a lot, but they won't happen without some level of
>(paying) customer demand.

Then why doesn't Red Hat ask for expressions of interest in group funding
for eCos? Set a deadline, and say that if "x" EoI's are received by that
date, everybody's credit card will be charged $99.95 or whatever and work
will begin. Everyone who subscribes gets a vote. Work priorities are set by
each individual to-do item's popularity, as measured by votes cast by
subscribers.

Individual hobbyists and people experimenting with eCos can't individually
supply the funding for ports and other work. But collectively a fairly
small number of them would suffice to fund a lot.

You can preserve the revenue stream from your existing large customers by
the fact that they get individual tech support.

Yes, we could get together as individual hobbyists and form a corporate
entity, but that would involve lots of bickering and it's unlikely to
happen. Easier if the central entity is RH itself.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay about $20 a month for this, or maybe as
much as a $200 one-time (annual?) charge (Yes, I know $20 x 12 > $200).

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
Embedded Engineer, Digi-Frame Inc.
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Tel (914) 937-4090 9am-6:30pm M-F ET
Personal: http://www.larwe.com/ http://www.zws.com/

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
(Theodore Roosevelt)

* Re: [ECOS] NASTY bug in eCos ConfigTool 1.3.1.2 Win32
@ 2001-06-13 12:19 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-06-13 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Conti; +Cc: eCos

Dan Conti wrote:

> You can actually make the '*' appear by clicking anywhere else in the
> config.
> In general the config tool is less than perfect, there are other things
> it doesn't do, like if you change the memory layout it won't properly
> recreate the target.ld file (if you manually delete the target.ld, then
> save, it will create it properly i think). also there are other changes
> that dont propogate through the config tree properly, like if you unload
> a package, but dont change any of the configuration options, it doesn't
> update any of the libraries, so even though the package is absent in the
> config, it is still present in the libraries.
>
> On a related note for the RedHat folks, since the old config tool is no
> longer maintained,

See my earlier clarification.

> how much longer before the new tool comes out of
> alpha?

As long as it takes? No one has funded this work, so there is no ETA on
completion. If someone wants to fund this work, then there will be :-).
There are all sorts of wonderful host side improvements and new tools that
would help users a lot, but they won't happen without some level of
(paying) customer demand.

> Additionally, with the consistency issues, does the 2.0 alpha
> tool work properly with older eCos repositories?

The MLT files are incompatible with 1.3.1 era repositories. This is
unavoidable.

@ 2001-06-13 10:40 Dan Conti
From: Dan Conti @ 2001-06-13 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos

[...]