* RE: [ECOS] not able to connect to gdb with redboot
@ 2001-06-27  6:27 Rajeev murthy
From: Rajeev murthy @ 2001-06-27  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

dear Gary,
    i tried out the commands you have stated , but once i say tar remote /dev/ttyS0 the gdb hangs, never to come back. what must be the problem?
    i then connected the gdb to a hyperterm to see what it was sending , but it would send nothing. is there any changes required in gdb to be used with redboot?
thanks a lot
rajeev
--

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 05:46:44
 Gary Thomas wrote:

>On 27-Jun-2001 Rajeev murthy wrote:
>> hello,
>>    i have redboot on my board (a proprietory one with a Samsung microcontroller with an  ARM
>> core). i understand that with redboot on my board i can get source level debugging by connecting
>> to GDB via redboot.
>>    i am just not able to get GDB connect to my board. i tried all these things
>> 1.target rdi /dev/ttyS0
>> 2.target remote /dev/ttyS0
>> 3.target rdp /dev/ttyS0
>>   what is the gdb looking for to connect ?
>>  i have set the baud rate to match my board's.
>>  is a serial connection with the host and the target board sufficient for gdb to connect with
>> redboot on the board ?
>>   when i type $g#67 , i get a display of the registers which means the gdb stubs are working.
>>  but i would prefer to debug with insight.
>> please let me know where i'm going wrong and
>> what i should do to connect to GDB?
>
>Use 'tar remote /dev/ttyS0' to connect via GDB.
>
>Make sure that you disconnect from RedBoot (shutdown your minicom or hyperterm),
>otherwise GDB will get confused.
>
>If it still doesn't work, try:
>  (gdb) set remotedebug 1
>  (gdb) tar rem /dev/ttyS0

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

* Re: [ECOS] not able to connect to gdb with redboot
@ 2001-06-27  9:54 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-06-27  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rajeev50; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Rajeev murthy wrote:

> dear Gary,
>     i tried out the commands you have stated , but once i say tar remote /dev/ttyS0 the gdb hangs, never to come back. what must be the problem?
>     i then connected the gdb to a hyperterm to see what it was sending , but it would send nothing. is there any changes required in gdb to be used with redboot?

Just in case there is some problem with Insight, you could try using the
command line at least temporarily (run gdb with "-nw"). Have you chosen the
correct baud rate? For example if it is 38400, do this with "set remotebaud
38400" before the "target remote".

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* RE: [ECOS] not able to connect to gdb with redboot
@ 2001-06-27  4:46 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-06-27  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajeev murthy; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2001-06-27  2:29 Rajeev murthy
From: Rajeev murthy @ 2001-06-27  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hello,
   i have redboot on my board (a proprietory one with a Samsung microcontroller with an  ARM core). i understand that with redboot on my board i can get source level debugging by connecting to GDB via redboot.
   i am just not able to get GDB connect to my board. i tried all these things
1.target rdi /dev/ttyS0
2.target remote /dev/ttyS0
3.target rdp /dev/ttyS0
  what is the gdb looking for to connect ?
 i have set the baud rate to match my board's.
 is a serial connection with the host and the target board sufficient for gdb to connect with redboot on the board ?
  when i type $g#67 , i get a display of the registers which means the gdb stubs are working.
 but i would prefer to debug with insight.
please let me know where i'm going wrong and
what i should do to connect to GDB?
  all inputs would be greatly appreciated.
thanks a lot
rajeev

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!