* Re: [ECOS] Porting ecos on at91 eb01 board
@ 2001-07-05  0:46 harri.siirtola
From: harri.siirtola @ 2001-07-05  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I forward this email from Carl in case he didn't send it to the list.

	Harri
harri.siirtola@vtt.fi wrote:

> At 19:56 4.7.2001 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> >With Carl's permission we could bring Carl's eCos tree tarball onto the
> >eCos site and update it with your changes.
> >
> >If you would be interested, perhaps if Carl and yourself could provide a
> >copyright assignment (assuming Carl does own all the copyright on it),
> >would you be willing to bring this port up to scratch so it could be
> >included in the main eCos sources? I'm sure a lot of folks would be pleased
> >if it was, it seems quite in demand on the list.
>
> I'm ready to give it without any copyright hassle. For such a simple port
> (and probably not complete), I don't want to make things too complicated.
> Let me know what Carl thinks, my port is based on his code anyway.
>
> >Jifl
>
>         Harri

Hi

Sorry, I've been out of touch for a while.
You guys have my full permission to release the code and do practically
what you like with it :-)

Please let the mailing list know.

thanks
Carl
--

Carl van Schaik, <carl@openfuel.com>    | Tel +27 21 650-3467
Electrical Engineering, UCT             | Fax +27 21 650-4305

* Re: [ECOS] Porting ecos on at91 eb01 board
@ 2001-07-05  8:57 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-05  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harri.siirtola; +Cc: ecos-discuss, carl

harri.siirtola@vtt.fi wrote:
> harri.siirtola@vtt.fi wrote:
> >
> > At 19:56 4.7.2001 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > >With Carl's permission we could bring Carl's eCos tree tarball onto the
> > >eCos site and update it with your changes.
> > >
> > >If you would be interested, perhaps if Carl and yourself could provide a
> > >copyright assignment (assuming Carl does own all the copyright on it),
> > >would you be willing to bring this port up to scratch so it could be
> > >included in the main eCos sources? I'm sure a lot of folks would be pleased
> > >if it was, it seems quite in demand on the list.
> >
> > I'm ready to give it without any copyright hassle. For such a simple port
> > (and probably not complete), I don't want to make things too complicated.
> > Let me know what Carl thinks, my port is based on his code anyway.
> >
> > >Jifl
> >
> >         Harri
>
> Sorry, I've been out of touch for a while.
> You guys have my full permission to release the code and do practically
> what you like with it :-)

If you are stating that you're putting the files into the public domain,
that would avoid the assignment itself. But when I talked about the
assignment, I was also including the "disclaimer" part which has to be
signed by your employer. This is needed because most people's contracts in
the software industry say that all intellectual property belongs to the
employer. This is even true of universities. So we'd really need that at
least from both of you.

We can still put together a tarball that is distributed separately, but it
wouldn't be able to go in the eCos sources properly meaning it may be
subject to bitrot.

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* Re: [ECOS] Porting ecos on at91 eb01 board
@ 2001-07-06 11:35 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-06 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harri.siirtola; +Cc: ecos-discuss, carl

harri.siirtola@vtt.fi wrote:

> At 16:57 5.7.2001 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> >If you are stating that you're putting the files into the public domain,
> >that would avoid the assignment itself. But when I talked about the
> >assignment, I was also including the "disclaimer" part which has to be
> >signed by your employer. This is needed because most people's contracts in
> >the software industry say that all intellectual property belongs to the
> >employer. This is even true of universities. So we'd really need that at
> >least from both of you.
>
> If I understand this correctly, public domain is the easiest way, isn't it?
> I'll check if my company requires the assignment way.

It's more a case of your company officially disclaiming any ownership - a
verbal agreement between you and them won't help us in future if for some
reason they changed their mind (or e.g. were bought and the new management
had different opinions) and enforced their IP for some reason.

> >We can still put together a tarball that is distributed separately, but it
> >wouldn't be able to go in the eCos sources properly meaning it may be
> >subject to bitrot.
>
> True, let's try to do this so that it helps people next year, too...

Yep, that's best for the whole community.

@ 2001-07-05 23:23 harri.siirtola
From: harri.siirtola @ 2001-07-05 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, harri.siirtola; +Cc: ecos-discuss, carl

At 16:57 5.7.2001 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>If you are stating that you're putting the files into the public domain,
>that would avoid the assignment itself. But when I talked about the
>assignment, I was also including the "disclaimer" part which has to be
>signed by your employer. This is needed because most people's contracts in
>the software industry say that all intellectual property belongs to the
>employer. This is even true of universities. So we'd really need that at
>least from both of you.

If I understand this correctly, public domain is the easiest way, isn't it?
I'll check if my company requires the assignment way.

>We can still put together a tarball that is distributed separately, but it
>wouldn't be able to go in the eCos sources properly meaning it may be
>subject to bitrot.

True, let's try to do this so that it helps people next year, too...

>Jifl

	Harri

* Re: [ECOS] Porting ecos on at91 eb01 board
@ 2001-07-05  0:02 harri.siirtola
From: harri.siirtola @ 2001-07-05  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, harri.siirtola; +Cc: eric mini, ecos-discuss, Carl van Schaik

At 19:56 4.7.2001 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>With Carl's permission we could bring Carl's eCos tree tarball onto the
>eCos site and update it with your changes.
>
>If you would be interested, perhaps if Carl and yourself could provide a
>copyright assignment (assuming Carl does own all the copyright on it),
>would you be willing to bring this port up to scratch so it could be
>included in the main eCos sources? I'm sure a lot of folks would be pleased
>if it was, it seems quite in demand on the list.

I'm ready to give it without any copyright hassle. For such a simple port
(and probably not complete), I don't want to make things too complicated.
Let me know what Carl thinks, my port is based on his code anyway.

>Jifl

	Harri

* Re: [ECOS] Porting ecos on at91 eb01 board
@ 2001-07-04 11:56 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-04 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harri.siirtola; +Cc: eric mini, ecos-discuss, Carl van Schaik

harri.siirtola@vtt.fi wrote:

> 3. Files '/ecos/packages/devs/serial/arm/eb01/current/src/at91_serial.h'
> and eb01_serial.c (same subdirectory) don't work or even compile. I have
> working versions, I could make them available for everyone to avoid having
> to email them to everyone interested. Jifl, Gary, what's the best way to do
> that?

With Carl's permission we could bring Carl's eCos tree tarball onto the
eCos site and update it with your changes.

If you would be interested, perhaps if Carl and yourself could provide a
copyright assignment (assuming Carl does own all the copyright on it),
would you be willing to bring this port up to scratch so it could be
included in the main eCos sources? I'm sure a lot of folks would be pleased
if it was, it seems quite in demand on the list.

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/faq.html#contrib_assign has information on
the assignment.

@ 2001-07-04  2:59 harri.siirtola
From: harri.siirtola @ 2001-07-04  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eric mini, ecos-discuss

At 11:25 4.7.2001 GMT+1, eric mini wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am looking for some help to port ecos on an AT91M40400
>using the at91 eb01 board.
>May be somewhere there is a package already done for this
>micro or a template for the board ???

Download Carl van Schaik's eCos tree from:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2001-01/msg00496.html

>Using the eCos configuration tools, I saw that the board
>PID7 is available, what are the step to migrate toward the
>AT91EB01 ??

After downloading, you have EB01 package option available. There are some
bugs in the serial driver and the cdl associated with it:

1. If you get errors from lines saying something like "no _exported_ files
whatsoever", just comment the lines out.

2. If you enable the EB01 serial drivers, you'll get a 'file not found'
error from file
/ecos/packages/devs/serial/arm/eb01/current/cdl/ser_arm_eb01.cdl. Change
'eb01_serial_with_ints.c' to 'eb01_serial.c'.

3. Files '/ecos/packages/devs/serial/arm/eb01/current/src/at91_serial.h'
and eb01_serial.c (same subdirectory) don't work or even compile. I have
working versions, I could make them available for everyone to avoid having
to email them to everyone interested. Jifl, Gary, what's the best way to do
that?

>Thank,
>
>Ricou

	Harri

* [ECOS] Porting ecos on at91 eb01 board
@ 2001-07-04  2:27 eric mini
From: eric mini @ 2001-07-04  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss