* [ECOS] ASSERTS & TRACING quit working
@ 2001-07-11  9:27 Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-11  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'eCos discussion'

I had to make a new eCos build because I screwed my old one up.  So,
I've got everything setup, and my program is working, but ASSERTS &
TRACING are not working.  I enabled them both in the eCos config tool
1.3.1.2, but for some reason I'm not getting any tracing output from my
functions.  The only place I enabled them at was in the "Infrastructure"
section.  Do I have to enable them some where else too?

* Re: [ECOS] ASSERTS & TRACING quit working
@ 2001-07-11 14:27 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-11 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I had to make a new eCos build because I screwed my old one up.  So,
> I've got everything setup, and my program is working, but ASSERTS &
> TRACING are not working.  I enabled them both in the eCos config tool
> 1.3.1.2, but for some reason I'm not getting any tracing output from my
> functions.  The only place I enabled them at was in the "Infrastructure"
> section.  Do I have to enable them some where else too?

Nope. You did enabled CYG_INFRA_DEBUG which is the parent option, right?

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* RE: [ECOS] ASSERTS & TRACING quit working
@ 2001-07-11 14:34   ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-11 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

  > Nope. You did enabled CYG_INFRA_DEBUG which is the parent
  > option, right?

Yes, in the Windows config tool it's called "Asserts & Tracing".

I've enabled Asserts & Tracing just the way I did before.  The only
problem is this time it's not working.

Also, I don't actually need to call CYG_TRACE_PRINT () whenever I want
it to output what I've traced so far right?  If so, how come I didn't
need to do this before?

Is there some debug option somewhere that I need to enable for
CYG_ASSERT and CYG_TRACE to actually create some code?  I know in MFC
for Windows I need to have it in debug mode.  As far as I know it's
supposed to be in debug mode by default, no?

* Re: [ECOS] ASSERTS & TRACING quit working
@ 2001-07-11 14:38     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

>   >
>   > Nope. You did enabled CYG_INFRA_DEBUG which is the parent
>   > option, right?
>
> Yes, in the Windows config tool it's called "Asserts & Tracing".

And you enabled the individual option underneath that?

> I've enabled Asserts & Tracing just the way I did before.  The only
> problem is this time it's not working.
>
> Also, I don't actually need to call CYG_TRACE_PRINT () whenever I want
> it to output what I've traced so far right?  If so, how come I didn't
> need to do this before?

Depends on the configuration of the tracing system, for example with
buffered tracing but CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_BUFFER_PRINT disabled (which
it is by default) you won't see anything unless you explicitly ask for it.

@ 2001-07-11 14:53       ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

  > And you enabled the individual option underneath that?

Yes.

  > > I've enabled Asserts & Tracing just the way I did before.
  >  The only
  > > problem is this time it's not working.
  > >
  > > Also, I don't actually need to call CYG_TRACE_PRINT ()
  > whenever I want
  > > it to output what I've traced so far right?  If so, how
  > come I didn't
  > > need to do this before?
  >
  > Depends on the configuration of the tracing system, for
  > example with buffered tracing but
  > CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_BUFFER_PRINT disabled (which it is
  > by default) you won't see anything unless you explicitly ask for it.

But I want tracing to occur every single time, not just when the buffer
is full.  Can I do that?  It seemed to me before that that's exactly
what it was doing.

I also remember the first time I enabled Asserts and Tracing last time I
ended up getting way to much output.  So, I disabled some option
somewhere, and then I only got what I wanted.  What option might this
have been?

* Re: [ECOS] ASSERTS & TRACING quit working
@ 2001-07-11 15:00         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:
>   >
>   > Depends on the configuration of the tracing system, for
>   > example with buffered tracing but
>   > CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_BUFFER_PRINT disabled (which it is
>   > by default) you won't see anything unless you explicitly ask for it.
>   >

> But I want tracing to occur every single time, not just when the buffer
> is full.  Can I do that?  It seemed to me before that that's exactly
> what it was doing.

As I said it depends on the configuration. So look at the options there.
That's just one of the options.

> I also remember the first time I enabled Asserts and Tracing last time I
> ended up getting way to much output.  So, I disabled some option
> somewhere, and then I only got what I wanted.  What option might this
> have been?

Logging of function entry/exit probably.

@ 2001-07-11 15:22           ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-11 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

  > As I said it depends on the configuration. So look at the
  > options there. That's just one of the options.
  >
  > > I also remember the first time I enabled Asserts and
  > Tracing last time
  > > I ended up getting way to much output.  So, I disabled
  > some option
  > > somewhere, and then I only got what I wanted.  What
  > option might this
  > > have been?
  >
  > Logging of function entry/exit probably.

I think you're right.

I'm starting to get really ticked off at this tracing thing.  The output
is not the same as it was beofre, nor does it do any actual tracing
unless I specifically ask it to by calling CYG_TRACE_PRINT ().  On top
of that, it outputs tracing information from kernel functions and stuff
that I don't want.  It wasn't this hard to set it up before.  I had it
running in 5 minutes, not 4 hours.

Could you list some quick steps that you would go through when setting
up tracing for a new eCos project?

* Re: [ECOS] ASSERTS & TRACING quit working
@ 2001-07-11 15:25             ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-11 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

>   >
>   > As I said it depends on the configuration. So look at the
>   > options there. That's just one of the options.
>   >
>   > > I also remember the first time I enabled Asserts and
>   > Tracing last time
>   > > I ended up getting way to much output.  So, I disabled
>   > some option
>   > > somewhere, and then I only got what I wanted.  What
>   > option might this
>   > > have been?
>   >
>   > Logging of function entry/exit probably.
>
> I think you're right.
>
> I'm starting to get really ticked off at this tracing thing.  The output
> is not the same as it was beofre, nor does it do any actual tracing
> unless I specifically ask it to by calling CYG_TRACE_PRINT ().

Then enable CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_BUFFER_PRINT. Or don't use buffered
tracing at all, but fancy tracing (CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_ASSERT_FANCY)
instead.

>  On top
> of that, it outputs tracing information from kernel functions and stuff
> that I don't want.  It wasn't this hard to set it up before.  I had it
> running in 5 minutes, not 4 hours.
>
> Could you list some quick steps that you would go through when setting
> up tracing for a new eCos project?

I only use tracing when debugging, so I often don't mind having it at full
verbosity, give or take function entry/exit. Maybe you were thinking of
CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_ASSERT_SIMPLE which logs less per line (but as
many lines).

@ 2001-07-12  8:27               ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-12  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

  > > I'm starting to get really ticked off at this tracing thing.  The
  > > output is not the same as it was beofre, nor does it do
  > any actual
  > > tracing unless I specifically ask it to by calling
  > CYG_TRACE_PRINT ().
  >
  > Then enable CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_BUFFER_PRINT. Or don't
  > use buffered tracing at all, but fancy tracing
  > (CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_ASSERT_FANCY)
  > instead.

Thanks.  That must be what I did before.  I enabled simple output and
disabled buffered tracing.  The two are mutually exclusive though.
Maybe the eCos configuration should make it so one can't be selected
unless the other one is unselected?  Is there a mechanism for this in
the ecos configuration?  eCos compiles fine if both are selected, but an
eCos application will not link with eCos.  It says something about some
variuos trace functions being duplicated.  I would post the output, but
I don't want to have to recompile again because it takes a very long
time.

Don't ever buy a Dell computer.  They are so sluggish it's unbelievable.
My 500Mhz custom system at home is faster than this 933Mhz Dell system
at work.

* Re: [ECOS] ASSERTS & TRACING quit working
@ 2001-07-12  8:47                 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-12  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:
>   > Then enable CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_BUFFER_PRINT. Or don't
>   > use buffered tracing at all, but fancy tracing
>   > (CYGDBG_INFRA_DEBUG_TRACE_ASSERT_FANCY)
>   > instead.
>
> Thanks.  That must be what I did before.  I enabled simple output and
> disabled buffered tracing.  The two are mutually exclusive though.
> Maybe the eCos configuration should make it so one can't be selected
> unless the other one is unselected?  Is there a mechanism for this in
> the ecos configuration?  eCos compiles fine if both are selected, but an
> eCos application will not link with eCos.  It says something about some
> variuos trace functions being duplicated.  I would post the output, but
> I don't want to have to recompile again because it takes a very long
> time.

It's easily fixed, and I've done so internally.