* RE: [ECOS] CYG_TRACE thread safe?
       [not found] <3B4DB5A1.A79A47AA@redhat.com>
@ 2001-07-12  7:41 ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-12  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: eCos Discussion

  > > Is there any way you can confirm this?  Afterall,
  > downloading over
  > > serial really bytes.  It takes forever.
  >
  > Sure, want a support contract? ;-)

At roughly $1000 per hour, I don't think so! ;-)

  > My theory is that the ethernet hardware will have been
  > configured to generate interrupts when its ready to
  > transmit, or other status events. But diag output is done
  > with interrupts disabled. Look at the driver code for your
  > ethernet card to see how it works with interrupts.

Ok, thanks.

* Re: [ECOS] CYG_TRACE thread safe?
@ 2001-07-20  0:13   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: eCos Discussion, Paul Beskeen

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

>   > > Is there any way you can confirm this?  Afterall,
>   > downloading over
>   > > serial really bytes.  It takes forever.
>   >
>   > Sure, want a support contract? ;-)
>
> At roughly $1000 per hour, I don't think so! ;-)

I feel I need to comment on this in case this impression sticks in people's
minds.

I don't know where you got that figure from, not least because the support
is based on "incidents" not time. So if it takes us days to find and fix
problems for you, we'll do it! If someone at Red Hat told you this, mail me
off the list as they shouldn't have.

As for the actual cost - it varies a lot depending on the target, whether
there's any custom development required, etc.etc. I don't know if we are
able to provide any general guidelines publically here on the list. Paul?

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* RE: [ECOS] CYG_TRACE thread safe?
@ 2001-07-20  7:38     ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-20  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'
  Cc: 'eCos Discussion', 'Paul Beskeen'

  > "Trenton D. Adams" wrote:
  > >
  > >   > > Is there any way you can confirm this?  Afterall,
  > >   > downloading over
  > >   > > serial really bytes.  It takes forever.
  > >   >
  > >   > Sure, want a support contract? ;-)
  > >
  > > At roughly $1000 per hour, I don't think so! ;-)
  >
  > I feel I need to comment on this in case this impression sticks in
  > people's
  > minds.
  >
  > I don't know where you got that figure from, not least because the
  > support
  > is based on "incidents" not time. So if it takes us days to find and
fix
  > problems for you, we'll do it! If someone at Red Hat told you this,
mail
  > me
  > off the list as they shouldn't have.
  >
  > As for the actual cost - it varies a lot depending on the target,
  > whether
  > there's any custom development required, etc.etc. I don't know if we
are
  > able to provide any general guidelines publically here on the list.
  > Paul?

I thought I seen it on your website.  $40,000 for roughly 40 hours of
support or something like that.  I could be wrong though, maybe it was
40 incidents.

* Re: [ECOS] CYG_TRACE thread safe?
@ 2001-07-20  7:48       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-20  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion', 'Paul Beskeen'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I thought I seen it on your website.  $40,000 for roughly 40 hours of
> support or something like that.  I could be wrong though, maybe it was
> 40 incidents.

I've found it. This looks like it is out of date. We'll get this resolved
internally.

       [not found] <3B4DB9D4.AA592D09@redhat.com>
@ 2001-07-12  7:57 ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-12  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Oops, forgot the cc once again.  To early in the morning I guess.

I updated to latest CVS yesterday.  I set it to compile over night, and
when I get back this morning, it doesn't freeze anymore.  Where do I get
the list of changes in the last couple of weeks to the eCos sources?

@ 2001-07-12  7:31   ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-12  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour', rob.wj.jansen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Oops, forgot the cc.

@ 2001-07-12  1:08 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-12  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob.wj.jansen; +Cc: tadams, ecos-discuss

@ 2001-07-12  0:51 rob.wj.jansen
From: rob.wj.jansen @ 2001-07-12  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tadams; +Cc: ecos-discuss, jlarmour

Trenton,

> I'm wondering if CYG_TRACEx is thread safe!  Is it?
>
> My driver was locking up in a DSR.  Now that TRACING and ASSERTIONS
> aren't working my program doesn't lock up.

Are you using CYG_TRACEx from within the DSR ?
I'm not sure if it is safe to use tracing from within DSRs (Jonathan ?).

Regards,

     Rob Jansen

Software Engineer
Competence Center Platforms
BU Mobile Communications
Meijhorst 60-10, 6537 KT Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Tel: +31-24-353-6329
Fax: +31-24-353-3613
mailto:Rob.WJ.Jansen@philips.com

* Re: [ECOS] CYG_TRACE thread safe?
@ 2001-07-11 14:26 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-07-11 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I'm wondering if CYG_TRACEx is thread safe!  Is it?

It's meant to be. If it isn't it's a bug.

Jifl
Come to the Red Hat TechWorld open source conference in Brussels!
Keynotes, techie talks and exhibitions    http://www.redhat-techworld.com/

* [ECOS] CYG_TRACE thread safe?
@ 2001-07-11  9:41 Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-07-11  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)