* [ECOS] Hello Example
@ 2001-08-01 16:21 Ron Avisa
From: Ron Avisa @ 2001-08-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I have setup the ecos config for a "default" cirrus ARM 7xxx board with RAM
startup
and 7212 cpu settings. I have flashed my board with the cymon_ROM bootloader.
I have built the ecos kernel and tests and have been able to download and
run them
successfully.
The next step then was to put together a simple app and try downloading that.
I modified ...\eCos\examples\makefile to have a working dir pointing to my
ecos-work_install
directory and I set XCC up for ARM 7212
and did a "make". This seems to work fine producing a 1.2M image.
However when I attempt to download this via GDB/insight I get

"error: invalid download offset message"

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Ron

* Re: [ECOS] Hello Example
@ 2001-08-01 20:16 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-01 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Avisa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ron Avisa wrote:

> I have setup the ecos config for a "default" cirrus ARM 7xxx board with RAM
> startup
> and 7212 cpu settings. I have flashed my board with the cymon_ROM bootloader.
> I have built the ecos kernel and tests and have been able to download and
> run them
> successfully.

Good, so there's nothing intrinsically wrong.

> The next step then was to put together a simple app and try downloading that.
> I modified ...\eCos\examples\makefile to have a working dir pointing to my
> ecos-work_install
> directory and I set XCC up for ARM 7212
> and did a "make". This seems to work fine producing a 1.2M image.
> However when I attempt to download this via GDB/insight I get
>
> "error: invalid download offset message"

If you open the console first, there should be some output. What is it?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Hello Example
@ 2001-08-02 12:44   ` Ron Avisa
From: Ron Avisa @ 2001-08-02 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

using gdb/insight I am connecting on serial port 0 successfully at 38400.
I have the download at connect option disabled.
I then select FILE->OPEN /c/Program Files/Red Hat/eCos/examples/hello.exe
  I start a console window, connect and see the following:
--------------

0xe0006338 in ??()

(gdb) LOAD

Error: invalid download offset: /files/redhat/examples/hello.exe

--------------

Any thoughts?

At 04:16 AM 8/2/01 +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>Ron Avisa wrote:
> >
> > I have setup the ecos config for a "default" cirrus ARM 7xxx board with RAM
> > startup
> > and 7212 cpu settings. I have flashed my board with the cymon_ROM
> bootloader.
> > I have built the ecos kernel and tests and have been able to download and
> > run them
> > successfully.
>
>Good, so there's nothing intrinsically wrong.
>
> > The next step then was to put together a simple app and try downloading
> that.
> > I modified ...\eCos\examples\makefile to have a working dir pointing to my
> > ecos-work_install
> > directory and I set XCC up for ARM 7212
> > and did a "make". This seems to work fine producing a 1.2M image.
> > However when I attempt to download this via GDB/insight I get
> >
> > "error: invalid download offset message"
>
>If you open the console first, there should be some output. What is it?
>
>Jifl
>--
>Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223) 271062
>Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley || Opinions==mine

* Re: [ECOS] Hello Example
@ 2001-08-02 13:00     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-02 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Avisa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ron Avisa wrote:

> using gdb/insight I am connecting on serial port 0 successfully at 38400.
> I have the download at connect option disabled.
> I then select FILE->OPEN /c/Program Files/Red Hat/eCos/examples/hello.exe
>   I start a console window, connect and see the following:
> --------------
>
> 0xe0006338 in ??()
>
> (gdb) LOAD
>
> Error: invalid download offset: /files/redhat/examples/hello.exe
>
> --------------
>
> Any thoughts?

Oh hold on. I think this might be something to do with spaces in filenames.
What version of GDB is this? Perhaps try the latest GDB snapshot:
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb (or http://sources.redhat.com/insight if you
want the GUI).

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Hello Example solution
@ 2001-08-02 14:04         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Avisa; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ron Avisa wrote:

> Many thanks!
> I moved all the example files to
>
>          /c/work/examples/
>
> and tried running them from there and they work perfectly.
> I'll go ahead and get the latest GDB snapshots as well.

Yeah, it would be useful if you tried it with a recent GDB so that I can
arrange to get it fixed if the problem is still there.

@ 2001-08-02 14:04       ` Ron Avisa
From: Ron Avisa @ 2001-08-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Many thanks!
I moved all the example files to

         /c/work/examples/

and tried running them from there and they work perfectly.
I'll go ahead and get the latest GDB snapshots as well.
Thanks again,

Ron