* [ECOS] RE: eCos + RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-08-02 18:03 Chris C.
From: Chris C. @ 2001-08-02 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlarmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jifl

>> 3. I found that there are only 3 templates [cygmon, stub, redboot] in the
>> config. tool can generate the image files in the bin directory. All of
the
>> other templates just have the include and lib in the untitled_install
>> directory.

>If you just use the default template, then if you choose build->tests from
>the graphical configuration tool, or type "make tests" if you are >using
the
>command line, then you will also get a "tests" subdirectory >underneath
>untitled_install.

In my case, I only have the redboot run on the target board. As I mention
above, I can't find other templates (e.g. kernel) can generate .bin/.elf in
the bin directory except redboot, cygmon and stub templates can generate
.bin/.elf files.
If I want to build the ecos (kernel) and the load it to the target board,
and run it via redboot command (go), how can I do?

Chris

Thanks! :D

Sure, you can have free email. But free Email, Voicemail and Faxmail?
Check it out at http://www.2bzd.com

* [ECOS] Re: eCos + RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-08-03  4:53 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-03  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris C.; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Chris C." wrote:

> Jifl
>
> >> 3. I found that there are only 3 templates [cygmon, stub, redboot] in the
> >> config. tool can generate the image files in the bin directory. All of
> the
> >> other templates just have the include and lib in the untitled_install
> >> directory.
>
> >If you just use the default template, then if you choose build->tests from
> >the graphical configuration tool, or type "make tests" if you are >using
> the
> >command line, then you will also get a "tests" subdirectory >underneath
> >untitled_install.
>
> In my case, I only have the redboot run on the target board. As I mention
> above, I can't find other templates (e.g. kernel) can generate .bin/.elf in
> the bin directory except redboot, cygmon and stub templates can generate
> .bin/.elf files.
> If I want to build the ecos (kernel) and the load it to the target board,
> and run it via redboot command (go), how can I do?

Tests *won't* appear in the bin directory, they will appear in the tests
directory. Please read what I wrote more carefully.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Re: eCos + RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-08-03  7:59 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-03  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris C.; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Chris C." wrote:

> I already know that the tests will appear in the tests directory when I
> select other templates (not redboot) and then click build tests.

All you need to do is download those test executables then - using GDB is
the easiest and most appropriate (although you don't strictly have to - it
would just be easier).

> My target board only have redboot on it. If I want to build up the eCos so
> that it can run on the target board, how should I do?
>
> I use the kernel template to bulld up  the ecos but the config. tool cannot
> generate the image file in bin directory. Why?

There's no image to go in the bin directory. You link eCos directly with
your application. Have a look at the examples, as mentioned in the eCos
Getting Started manual.

Jifl

* [ECOS] Re: eCos + RedBoot Problems!
@ 2001-08-03  7:46 Chris C.
From: Chris C. @ 2001-08-03  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Jifl

I am sorry that I haven't state clearly what I have to ask.

I already know that the tests will appear in the tests directory when I
select other templates (not redboot) and then click build tests.

My target board only have redboot on it. If I want to build up the eCos so
that it can run on the target board, how should I do?

I use the kernel template to bulld up  the ecos but the config. tool cannot
generate the image file in bin directory. Why?

Should I  wirte a makefile in order to generate the image file?

Thank you very much , you are helping me a lot.

Chris

@ 2001-08-02 14:04 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris C.; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Chris C." wrote:

> Jifl
>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have loaded the redboot to the target board. Now, I want to build my
> own testing program and then run it on redboot, but I got some error
> messages from arm-elf-gcc:
> >>

> //E/Gary/Program/eCos/tmp/eCos/new_redboot_install/lib/libtarget.a(redboot_m
> ain.o): In function
> >> `do_go':
> >> //D/ecoscvs/ecos/packages/redboot/current/src/main.c:475: undefined
> reference to
> >> `RedBoot_version'
> >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >>
> >> How to solve it?
> >>
> >> Also, I selected some templates like kernel, minimal... and then built
> them but I didn't find any bin file in bin directory. How to build them and
> then run them on the target board (the target board have redboot on it)
>
> >You are still building redboot. Do not choose the redboot >template if you
> >want to bulid tests. Also when you choose a different template, >I would
> >recommend using a new empty build directory.
>
> I am not clear about what you said, here are some questions I am not sure:
>
> 1. My target board [AT91/EB40] have redboot only. Can I build a application
> and then run it on the target board?
> Which file formats can I load them to the target board via redboot[hyper
> terminal]? .bin / .elf/ .img / .srec / .out

The best thing is to use GDB on the ELF executables.

> 2. As you said, if I want to build tests, I need to use a new empty build
> directory and then select other template [not redboot]. Do I need to switch
> the redboot to GDB mode [type # at the redboot command prompt] before I run
> those tests using config. tool?

No, when GDB connects, RedBoot will switch mode automatically.