* [ECOS] Re: Problems with RedBoot on x86 generic pc...
@ 2001-08-30  4:44 Mats Nordlund
From: Mats Nordlund @ 2001-08-30  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: tadams

Hi,

I also have the same problem; the PC boots from floppy and
displays the startup screen on the serial interface. But I get no
response when trying to send keyboard strokes over the serial line.
Tried to switch serial ports. Tried to boot on 3-4 different machines
with the same result. Also tried two different machines as terminal (in
addition, with different terminal applications).

I also rebuilt i386-pc RedBoot using ct2 and the latest CVS without any
improvements (the same result as using the pre-built redboot.bin).

Seems like RedBoot doesn't read my serial line. It could be useful to
see which serial input RedBoot chooses.

Any suggestions?

br

/ Mats

> Anyway, my current problem is with RedBoot. I built the x86 version and
> booted with the diskette. It seems to come up, and I see a RedBoot
> prompt on my screen. I'm assuming that even though I can see it on the
> local console, the local console isn't active, right? So, I have to use
> a serial port or network, right?

* RE: [ECOS] Re: Problems with RedBoot on x86 generic pc...
@ 2001-08-30  7:47 ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-08-30  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mats Nordlund', ecos-discuss; +Cc: tadams

Yep, sounds like the same problem as mine.  I find it weird that anyone
gets it going because every type of system I've tried it on I get the
same result.  It's extremely odd.  You would think that at the very
least the Screen/keyboard interface would be functional.  Afterall,
those should be standard BIOS interrupt calls.  Of course eCos probably
doesn't use the BIOS except to start.

Does the screen/keyboard interface work for you?

@ 2001-08-31  0:15   ` Mats Nordlund
From: Mats Nordlund @ 2001-08-31  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Yes, the local keyboard/display input/output works fine. When a have a
serial terminal connected, I can see the startup screen (the RedBoot
prompt), but after that the serial terminal doesn't show the commands
given on the local keyboard. It seems like the serial output works until
the prompt, but not after. The serial input does not receive any
commands sent from the terminal application. After bootup, I have tried
to switch to the other serial output of the RedBoot machine, with no
success.

/ Mats

@ 2001-09-06 23:52     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-06 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mats Nordlund; +Cc: Trenton D. Adams, ecos-discuss

Mats Nordlund wrote:

> Yes, the local keyboard/display input/output works fine. When a have a
> serial terminal connected, I can see the startup screen (the RedBoot
> prompt), but after that the serial terminal doesn't show the commands
> given on the local keyboard. It seems like the serial output works until
> the prompt, but not after. The serial input does not receive any
> commands sent from the terminal application. After bootup, I have tried
> to switch to the other serial output of the RedBoot machine, with no
> success.

Do you know that once RedBoot gets _any_ input on a channel it will "lock
on" to that channel to the exclusion of all others?

You may want to try using the `channel' command, e.g. "channel -1" to reset
it to looking on all channels.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Problems with RedBoot on x86 generic pc...
@ 2001-09-07  0:18       ` Mats Nordlund
From: Mats Nordlund @ 2001-09-07  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour

Maybe it's just me, but the RedBoot CLI doesn't seem to recognise the
command 'channel'. I'm using the prebuilt *.bin dated June 8.

Is it necessary to rebuild from source with some "channel option"
enabled?

br

/ Mats

@ 2001-09-07  0:26         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-07  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mats Nordlund; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Mats Nordlund wrote:

> Maybe it's just me, but the RedBoot CLI doesn't seem to recognise the
> command 'channel'. I'm using the prebuilt *.bin dated June 8.
>
> Is it necessary to rebuild from source with some "channel option"
> enabled?

Sorry yes, the channel command predates that image.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Problems with RedBoot on x86 generic pc...
@ 2001-09-07  0:56           ` Mats Nordlund
From: Mats Nordlund @ 2001-09-07  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour

Ok, with a rebuilt image I can now issue the 'channel' command. Each
time I type 'channel -1', I get a new "RedBoot>" on my serial terminal,
but the problem still remains: I cannot issue commands from the serial
terminal - my keyboard strokes are just ignored in some way. Neither the
commands issued at the console are displayed to the serial terminal. The
only thing passed to the serial terminal is the "welcome screen" and the
output from 'channel -1', that is, "RedBoot>".

This problem is no big thing, I just wanted to start playing a little
with eCos and figured that this could be a good way to start.

Anyway, any other suggestions to this strange behaviour is of course
welcome.

br

/ Mats