* [ECOS] redboot conflicting with ethernet application driver
@ 2001-09-17 16:43 Richard Wicks
From: Richard Wicks @ 2001-09-17 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I've finally got my application to compile with TCP/IP support. I'm using the
following commands to setup the eCos kernel:

ecosconfig new iq80310
ecosconfig add net
ecosconfig add CYGPKG_NET_ETH_DRIVERS
ecosconfig tree
make

And everything compiles just fine. My applications link happily with it as
well.

However, I can see that when I download the application to redboot, my
application crashes. I've traced this to the driver in my application (which
DOESN'T use any TCP/IP calls). It seems that the kernel as compiled above
cannot coexist with the driver in Redboot (presumably, they are the same
exact driver.) I'm using a standard redboot downloaded from redhat's site.

Does anybody know either:

* How to disable the ethernet driver support with redboot under the XScale

or

* How to make the application ethernet driver coexist with the redboot
ethernet driver

?

Either solution is fine with me.  It might be as simple as adding a package,
or not adding one, but I haven't been able to find any documentation
describing what is required.

A finger point (not that finger) to where I can find the documentation to
resolve this problem would also be much appreciated. I'll even write a
pseudo-driver if needed that will talk to the redboot driver if somebody can
tell me how.

Thank you,
-Rich

* Re: [ECOS] redboot conflicting with ethernet application driver
@ 2001-09-18 14:58 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Richard Wicks wrote:

> I've finally got my application to compile with TCP/IP support. I'm using the
> following commands to setup the eCos kernel:
>
> ecosconfig new iq80310
> ecosconfig add net
> ecosconfig add CYGPKG_NET_ETH_DRIVERS
> ecosconfig tree
> make
>
> And everything compiles just fine. My applications link happily with it as
> well.
>
> However, I can see that when I download the application to redboot, my
> application crashes. I've traced this to the driver in my application (which
> DOESN'T use any TCP/IP calls). It seems that the kernel as compiled above
> cannot coexist with the driver in Redboot (presumably, they are the same
> exact driver.) I'm using a standard redboot downloaded from redhat's site.

I'm pretty certain we've had it working here fine. Where exactly does it
crash? There may be some other reason...

Are you debugging over the network at the same time? Have you tried via
serial?

> Does anybody know either:
>
> * How to disable the ethernet driver support with redboot under the XScale

Rebuild redboot with CYGPKG_REDBOOT_NETWORKING disabled.

> or
>
> * How to make the application ethernet driver coexist with the redboot
> ethernet driver

It should already....

Jifl