* [ECOS] ATMEL flash
@ 2001-09-19  8:07 Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-09-19  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'eCos Discussion'

I noticed that the edb7xxx HAL for eCos supports ATMEL flash.  Does this
mean the boot code for the download utility also supports this flash?

The eCos code for ATMEL flash looks like it might work with AMD flash
(Am29DL640D).  Does anyone know off hand if this is correct?

Why would the boot code be input with numbers rather than assembly?  I
would like to convert this "C" boot buffer back to assembly, anyone know
of a good way other than creating my own program to parse it and convert
it to binary and then reverse engineer it from there?

Trenton D. Adams
Extreme Engineering
#17, 6025 - 12 St. SE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2H 2K1

Phone: 403 640 9494 ext-208
Fax: 403 640 9599

http://www.extremeeng.com

* Re: [ECOS] ATMEL flash
@ 2001-09-19 13:36 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I noticed that the edb7xxx HAL for eCos supports ATMEL flash.  Does this
> mean the boot code for the download utility also supports this flash?

Probably.

> The eCos code for ATMEL flash looks like it might work with AMD flash
> (Am29DL640D).  Does anyone know off hand if this is correct?

We have separate flash drivers for amd and atmel flash. I notice that the
atmel driver claims that erasing is not needed, and there's some
significant differences in flash_program_buf.

> Why would the boot code be input with numbers rather than assembly?  I
> would like to convert this "C" boot buffer back to assembly, anyone know
> of a good way other than creating my own program to parse it and convert
> it to binary and then reverse engineer it from there?

Unless I'm misremembering, it was supplied by Cirrus Logic as-is. I don't
believe we've ever seen the source code for it.

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] ATMEL flash
@ 2001-09-19 13:48   ` Trenton D. Adams
From: Trenton D. Adams @ 2001-09-19 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

Ok, since eCos has support for the AMD flash, then RedBoot should
automatically have that right?  Or maybe RedBoot does it's own flash
thing?

--
Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223)
271062

* Re: [ECOS] ATMEL flash
@ 2001-09-19 14:25     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trenton D. Adams; +Cc: 'eCos Discussion'

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> Ok, since eCos has support for the AMD flash, then RedBoot should
> automatically have that right?  Or maybe RedBoot does it's own flash
> thing?

Depends. Flash drivers need to be taught about specific boards. But for
example, RedBoot on the edb7111 has flash support, but it was one of the
"early adopters" and isn't using one of the generic atmel or amd packages
yet.  It could probably be made to do so though.

If you have a board using Atmel flash, best to start with the atmel driver
and look at one of the targets that already uses it like the sh edk7708.

BTW, there was a guy (Thomas Edelmann) having trouble with the edb7211
redboot. Any ideas, since you've played with anoncvs recently?

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] ATMEL flash
@ 2001-09-19 14:15 Dan Conti
From: Dan Conti @ 2001-09-19 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Why dont you just ask cirrus for the code to their downloader? They'll
give you the full code to the download utility and the bootcode. You can
even switch it all to build with gcc.

I haven't heard of the downloader supporting anything other than intel
flash parts.