* [ECOS] loading programs to RAM via RedBoot (using minicom on Linux)
@ 2001-09-21  8:42 Warren Jasper
From: Warren Jasper @ 2001-09-21  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

I'm not having much luck using the load command
with minicom via a serial connection to RedBoot.
Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or
did not configure correctly.

1. RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x100000 -m xmodem
CTRL-A Z -> S -> xmodem -> select file to upload
I then see:

CCCCC..........Can't load '<null>':Timed out
RedBoot>

When I dumped the memory on the ARM at 0x100000, nothing came
across.

Warren

* [ECOS] Redboot on x86, what can and can not presently be loaded
@ 2001-09-21 10:11 ` Adam Agnew
From: Adam Agnew @ 2001-09-21 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

I know that right now, RedBoot certainly can not load to a Linux Kernel
ELF image, so my group here at the university of maryland will definitly
be implementing that and contributing the code back.
But could someone tell me what RedBoot on x86 presently CAN load? Any
binary format of a Linux kernel? RedBoot images? Ecos images?.. bin images
in general? Elf images in general? Coff images?
How about RedBoot on other platforms?

Thank you, a response could save me some digging, trial and error, and
help me figure out where I need to start to get an ELF loader implemented.

Sincerely,
Adam Agnew

* Re: [ECOS] loading programs to RAM via RedBoot (using minicom on Linux)
@ 2001-09-21 12:43 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Jasper; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

Warren Jasper wrote:

> I'm not having much luck using the load command
> with minicom via a serial connection to RedBoot.
> Perhaps someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or
> did not configure correctly.
>
> 1. RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x100000 -m xmodem
> CTRL-A Z -> S -> xmodem -> select file to upload
> I then see:
>
> CCCCC..........Can't load '<null>':Timed out
> RedBoot>

If you don't try to do the upload, what speed do the "C"s come out? If it's
faster than one every two seconds, you need to improve your delay_us.
Otherwise, you might have to just type faster :-).

You could up the values in the #defines at the top of xyzModem.c. Really
those should be CDL options anyway.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot on x86, what can and can not presently be loaded
@ 2001-09-21 12:45   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-09-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Agnew; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

Adam Agnew wrote:

> I know that right now, RedBoot certainly can not load to a Linux Kernel
> ELF image, so my group here at the university of maryland will definitly
> be implementing that and contributing the code back.
> But could someone tell me what RedBoot on x86 presently CAN load? Any
> binary format of a Linux kernel? RedBoot images? Ecos images?.. bin images
> in general? Elf images in general? Coff images?
> How about RedBoot on other platforms?
>
> Thank you, a response could save me some digging, trial and error, and
> help me figure out where I need to start to get an ELF loader implemented.

Binary or srec format files via various transports. On other platforms the
kernel "binary" is normally downloaded in srec format.

Perhaps you might want to read the documentation at
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/redboot.html

Jifl

* RE: [ECOS] loading programs to RAM via RedBoot (using minicom on Linux)
@ 2001-09-21 13:09 Warren Jasper
From: Warren Jasper @ 2001-09-21 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jonathan Larmour'; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com'

I figured it out.  The person who installed my Linux box
forgot to include the lrzsz-XX.i386.rpm!!!  Sorry about the
post, it was pilot error on my part.  Funny that minicom would
not complain that /usr/bin/sx did not exist.

Things are working great now.